Talk me out of buying a 300 PRC

OP
aman

aman

FNG
What are the negatives to my decision boys? I don't want confirmation bias.

OP
aman

aman

FNG
It's a cartridge with more recoil than most people can shoot at long range accurately without a brake or suppressor.

If you want a gun get a gun but it's not going to help you hunt elk over the 270.
Excellent point. What do you think of using 270W for shooting elk up to 600 yards?

z987k

WKR
Excellent point. What do you think of using 270W for shooting elk up to 600 yards?
Does your load have the speed/energy at 600 yards and can you put the bullet where you want it to go?

OP
aman

aman

FNG
Does your load have the speed/energy at 600 yards and can you put the bullet where you want it to go?
My load should have 1444 ft-lb of energy (145 gr at 2118 fps) at 600 yards.

tdot

WKR
The 300PRC won't have appreciably more recoil then a 300wm. The ergonomics of the stock and scope setup will have more of an impact on the shooter. That said, a brake or suppressor on either cartridge will help.

I'm personally a big fan of 30cal and up for big game and ranges of 300-400+ yards. If you can shoot them well, then they'll always be more effective killers. Of course 270win can work and has done so many times in the past, but the room for error is lower. I personally want an exit hole and as much damage and as large a wound channel as possible on the way through. The cartridges below 30 cal just aren't as effective at making this happen. Until you start reaching impact speeds north of 3000+fps, then it doesn't seem to matter what diameter bullet you use.

Cynoscion

Lil-Rokslider
I won’t even try to talk you out of it. I bought a Christensen ridgeline in .300PRC, mounted the “little” leupold mark 5 on it and ordered a bunch of 215gr Berger hybrids loaded by Unknown. It is an insanely accurate combination and so far, deadly on everything I’ve shot with it. I’ve been impressed with bullet performance more so than any other .30 caliber bullet I’ve shot. Devastating and bloody!

The 300PRC won't have appreciably more recoil then a 300wm. The ergonomics of the stock and scope setup will have more of an impact on the shooter. That said, a brake or suppressor on either cartridge will help.

I'm personally a big fan of 30cal and up for big game and ranges of 300-400+ yards. If you can shoot them well, then they'll always be more effective killers. Of course 270win can work and has done so many times in the past, but the room for error is lower. I personally want an exit hole and as much damage and as large a wound channel as possible on the way through. The cartridges below 30 cal just aren't as effective at making this happen. Until you start reaching impact speeds north of 3000+fps, then it doesn't seem to matter what diameter bullet you use.
Some excellent insight right here ^^^
It'll work but I'd seriously look at a280, 280 ai, or 284 win over a 270 for elk at 600 yards.
The 168 or 175 Berger would be my bullet of choice

mattwill00

Lil-Rokslider
What are the negatives to my decision boys? I don't want confirmation bias.

Have you heard of the clicker issue with brass in saami spec chambers? I think there’s a good thread over on longrangehunting.com. Basically the clearance between the chamber and the case web doesn’t allow for any growth, so you get clickers after a few reloads. I think there’s some custom reamers out there that open it up a bit. I’ll try to find the thread.

Last edited:

Ucsdryder

WKR
It's a cartridge with more recoil than most people can shoot at long range accurately without a brake or suppressor.

If you want a gun get a gun but it's not going to help you hunt elk over the 270.
agreed. It’s not necessary, especially out to 600 yards. A good 7mm setup will have significantly less recoil and still hammer elk.

You could always put a brake on it, but a braked hunting rifle is a terrible idea. A suppressor will help, but it’ll still pound you pretty good. A 270 will work, 280ai or 7Saum will work better.

WRO

WKR
You could always put a brake on it, but a braked hunting rifle is a terrible idea.

I've had full freezers for the last decade using that terrible idea.

I always use ear plugs, the hang around my neck, even for an unbroke rifle.

Ucsdryder

WKR
I've had full freezers for the last decade using that terrible idea.

I always use ear plugs, the hang around my neck, even for an unbroke rifle.
Most people don’t have the will power to pass up a shot at an animal because their earplugs aren’t in.

Congrats on those freezer full of animals, sounds like you wouldn’t have been able to do it without your brakes!

OP
aman

aman

FNG
I put my ear plugs in for my unbraked 270 Win.

I think I'd have to put a brake on any 30 cal rifle.