Talk me out of buying a 300 PRC

WRO

WKR
Most people don’t have the will power to pass up a shot at an animal because their earplugs aren’t in.

Congrats on those freezer full of animals, sounds like you wouldn’t have been able to do it without your brakes!

It's nice to be able to spot your shots and shoot heavier calibers with heavier bullets.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ucsdryder

WKR
No need for name calling…

A brake is obnoxious. Obnoxious to your buddy sitting next to you as you shoot an animal, to the guide trying to call your shots, to everyone at the range that has to deal with it, and to your ears when you forget to put them in or don’t have time to put them in.

Do they work? Yep, but the negatives to me outweigh the pros. A suppressor is a much better option in my opinion.

WRO

WKR
No need for name calling…

A brake is obnoxious. Obnoxious to your buddy sitting next to you as you shoot an animal, to the guide trying to call your shots, to everyone at the range that has to deal with it, and to your ears when you forget to put them in or don’t have time to put them in.

Do they work? Yep, but the negatives to me outweigh the pros. A suppressor is a much better option in my opinion.

I run suppressors as well and much prefer them, but they don't cut it on the big 30's in my experience. I've always worn plugs when guiding, the hard plastic ones fit around your neck or on your hat nicely and take 2 seconds to put in. I want them whether or not a rifle is broke.

One shot without plugs isn't bad, especially with the right break.

1635535424342.png

I run this break on my norma and behind it is no worse than an un broke rifle.

Big slab breaks and radials are much louder. ( I hate Radials)

Ucsdryder

WKR
I run suppressors as well and much prefer them, but they don't cut it on the big 30's in my experience. I've always worn plugs when guiding, the hard plastic ones fit around your neck or on your hat nicely and take 2 seconds to put in. I want them whether or not a rifle is broke.

View attachment 341379

I stopped going to public ranges due to obnoxious brakes. Some of those radials make it feel like there’s a force field hitting you.

I used those same plugs. Carried them for 5 years. In that time I managed to remember to use them 1x. And then I missed, walked up to where the deer was standing
Looked up to e bull and saw another buck and shot…without them in. 🤦🏻‍♂️

MOBowkill

FNG
A friends Mesa shoots a one hole cluster at 100 yds, he did put the side baffle break on it to tame it down even more than the standard break that comes on them.

JakeSCH

WKR
I stopped going to public ranges due to obnoxious brakes. Some of those radials make it feel like there’s a force field hitting you.

I used those same plugs. Carried them for 5 years. In that time I managed to remember to use them 1x. And then I missed, walked up to where the deer was standing
Looked up to e bull and saw another buck and shot…without them in. 🤦🏻‍♂️

You wouldn't want to hear my 338 RUM in an indoor range! LOL.

Definitely didn't toss in my ear piece on my elk this year, 95% of the time I do...but I was short on time. Ears rang for a second, heard the thwwaapp then back to normal in a bit.

As the shooter it is not end of the world for 1 out of every 10 animals you take...but man being next to the guy with one sucks especially if they don't give you warning.

To OP,
You cannot go wrong with those options in a 300 PRC. I struggled back and forth between the 300 PRC and 300 WM and stuck with the 300 WM because i had the reloading supplies. The CA Mesa is "heavy" (7.8 lb) but its design makes it extremely easy to shoot. It also has a good size mag so you can seat bullets far out.

LongCut

FNG
I just got a Bergara in 6.5PRC. I love it thus far and plan on getting one of their rifles in 300PRC. Why? Because I can..... OP - You can talk all day and all night about which caliber. If you like the 300PRC, get it and never look back.

I had the same choice to make and went with the 300 win mag. Not a super long range shooter and didn't need to shoot the big bullets. 200 grains will be my max most likely. Lots of ammo availability in a pinch with the 300 win mag (Just putting my reloading setup together as well). I looked at the CA stuff and decided to go with the Seekins PH2 with a 3 x 15 vortex LH(and a brake) haven't shot it a lot yet, but starting to get used to the recoil. I think the 300 prc is a cool cartridge, but just didn't fit my needs as well as a 300 win mag.

Attachments

• ph2.jpg
    ph2.jpg
    298.9 KB · Views: 55
I’ve been debating the same thing recently. I have 300WM loading supplies but they could easily be sold especially in current times.

I think I’ve decided to go with a long throated 30 Nosler and I like the case better, no clicker issues as the PRC can have and it will outperform not the 300 Win Mag and PRC.

If you aren’t stuck on a factory rifle or factory Ammo the options are endless.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

pparris3

FNG

View attachment 341379

You talking about those construction worker plugs? I need to pick up some new ears for duck season...

snipe10

FNG
Can't do it, I have two! But for what it's worth, I just ordered a custom 300 win mag too, nothing wrong with that caliber.

BigDog00

WKR

View attachment 341379

Who makes that brake?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk