Talk me out of Swaro

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
In store testing and I liked ths Zeiss. Got them out in the field and they just did not work for my eyes. I always had eye strain and actually found that I was regularly not looking thru the optics to rest my eyes.

That's what I found and why I moved on from the 15x56 zeiss, just something didn't fit right for my eyes glassing with them sometimes. I still have my 8x42 conquest in the lineup as I have kids about to hit hunting age so no point selling those off, those never bothered me.

tdot

WKR
That's what I found and why I moved on from the 15x56 zeiss, just something didn't fit right for my eyes glassing with them sometimes. I still have my 8x42 conquest in the lineup as I have kids about to hit hunting age so no point selling those off, those never bothered me.

KIDS!!!! I now have an excuse to by the 6x pocket Swarovski's!! My eldest is only 2, so I'd missed that reason. Thanks!

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
KIDS!!!! I now have an excuse to by the 6x pocket Swarovski's!! My eldest is only 2, so I'd missed that reason. Thanks!

there are a few extra rifles in the safe beyond immediate needs “for the kids”, ;) to be fair muzzlebraking a 243 and 7/08 IS for the kiddos but makes for some easy shooters if playing with scopes or such.

tdot

WKR
there are a few extra rifles in the safe beyond immediate needs “for the kids”, ;) to be fair muzzlebraking a 243 and 7/08 IS for the kiddos but makes for some easy shooters if playing with scopes or such.

Oh man, you gotta stop. 🤣

Oh, wait. I did order a fully adjustable chassis for my Rem260. Want to make sure I have a load dialed and the rifle shooting well before he needs it!

I would get out and try to use a BTX first. I have one and absolutely love it but there are lots of times that I feel that it is over powered for the task and that I wish I had 15 slcs instead. I also would stick to the 85. I have the 65 and 95 and find myself hooking up to the 65 more often because its 30x instead of 35x. 85mm I feel would be perfect. Exit pupil isn't as big of deal with the BTX because its "low powered" so the objective doesn't help as much. For the right application its amazing and I think coues deer would probably fit that category but if you are glassing a hill side at 800 yards you will want your 15s. Its also the best tool for the job at spotting long range shooting if your into that kind of thing

Great info and thanks!
I definitely need to look through a BTX since after going through four spotting scopes and losing money on selling them I've finally convinced myself a single eyepiece just does not work well for me. While I would like 60x zoom I probably don't need it. I don't need to really judge animals as I'm likely to go after anything that is decent to me. 60x would just make me hike many more miles to go after something possibly too far off. The 30x or 35x of the BTX would be perfect for me. I generally use my 15x56 SLC for 500-1500 yards but doubling that distance could be pretty useful!

CBECK61

Lil-Rokslider
Great info and thanks!
I definitely need to look through a BTX since after going through four spotting scopes and losing money on selling them I've finally convinced myself a single eyepiece just does not work well for me. While I would like 60x zoom I probably don't need it. I don't need to really judge animals as I'm likely to go after anything that is decent to me. 60x would just make me hike many more miles to go after something possibly too far off. The 30x or 35x of the BTX would be perfect for me. I generally use my 15x56 SLC for 500-1500 yards but doubling that distance could be pretty useful!
I have the 1.7x magnifier and I rarely use it. I wish they had a reducer most of the time. I truly feel that I can field judge deer better at 30x in the BTX than I can at 60x with the ATX. People get hung up on the fact that it's fixed at a "lower power" but its a completely different experience. Defiantly don't waste your money on the 1.7x magnifier until you have used one in the field. It becomes super hard to keep steady and is rarely applicable. I do use mine for seeing .223 holes in paper at longer ranges but other than that it stays in the truck on hunts.

tdot

WKR
I've only had a few days behind my BTX, but so far I'll agree with the above comments. So far I havent missed the extra power over the 35x zoom, and to be honest, switching out to the 65mm and 30x zoom has me rethinking what I will be packing into the backcountry.

My tripod was ok with smaller spotting scopes and high power. It manages ok with the BTX/95, but add the 1.7x magnifier in and it cant handle it. So now I'm trying to decide if I'm willing to upgrade my tripod package as well. (Which I knew was a possibility but would still prefer not to).

I was looking at a weather station 7km and 500m above my truck. With the BTX/95 I could make out the spinning blades of the wind mill. I would guess they are 18" - 24" in diameter. Not sure if I need anymore detail then that.

Gobbler36

WKR
I think some should consider new gear purchases based on how hard they hunt, because lot of guys seem to like buying gear more than they actually like to hunt.

Undoubtedly, any premium optics are going to perform better than Vortex. The glass, coatings, and tolerances are simply just better. How much better is somewhat debatable.

However, if you’re the kind of guy that likes the concept of hunting more than actually doing it - save your money. There’s nothing wrong with wanting to own the “best” if you have the means to do it. But, what good is it to own Swaros or any premium glass if you don’t put that much effort into a hunt?

Put it like this, if I buy a 95mm Swaro ATX but don’t have the fitness to pack it, or pack it but can’t get to a good glassing location because I’m too gassed, or bail on my hunt early because I’m not that committed to the hunt, why spend the money?
Best point made on this thread, I know several guys who own alpha glass and it sits in the closet with the Sitka camo and their crispi boots.

4ester

WKR
I've only had a few days behind my BTX, but so far I'll agree with the above comments. So far I havent missed the extra power over the 35x zoom, and to be honest, switching out to the 65mm and 30x zoom has me rethinking what I will be packing into the backcountry.

My tripod was ok with smaller spotting scopes and high power. It manages ok with the BTX/95, but add the 1.7x magnifier in and it cant handle it. So now I'm trying to decide if I'm willing to upgrade my tripod package as well. (Which I knew was a possibility but would still prefer not to).

I was looking at a weather station 7km and 500m above my truck. With the BTX/95 I could make out the spinning blades of the wind mill. I would guess they are 18" - 24" in diameter. Not sure if I need anymore detail then that.

What tripod/head was not adequate for your BTX? Just curious.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tdot

WKR
What tripod/head was not adequate for your BTX? Just curious.

Sirui T1205x and the Outdoorsman Micro. It is ok for the BTX/65, borderline for the BTX/95 and doesnt work for either with the ME 1.7x.

I dont extend more then the 2 leg extensions, and only use the center post for a 1"-2" final height adjustment to get comfortable.

I've only just started playing with the combo though. In every position I've tested I had to have 2 leg extensions out. When I'm actually out in the backcountry, I'm typically in a position where I'd only have 1 leg extension out. This might make the use with the 95 better, but I dont think it would improve enough to use the magnifier. I'm going to try a balance plate before I give up on it totally.

This is very good advice. You will find those that go Vortex to Swarovski are probably 2500:1 compared to the other way around. It’s almost a silly question.
Funny, because you are right. I LOVE my vortex but I haven't heard of people going the other way around.

For the record, I personally have no brand loyalty in optics, or other hunting gear. I'll buy what works best for me, based on my evaluation. Period.

Completely in agreement with Kevin here. Whenever I’m buying a new optic I’ll do a head-to-head comparison and buy whatever works better for me. A couple years back I set out to upgrade my binos and the Swaro ELs were the out of the gate front runner based on reputation and reviews. But after direct comparison I bought the Zeiss Victory SFs, which to me turned out to be the clearly better binocular - slightly better optics, less rollerball, and much better ergonomics/handling, all for about the same price. Have no doubt I made the right decision.

Will my next optic be a Zeiss? Well, just bought a Meopta Meostar spotter on a heck of a deal, so I guess not. To me it was the winner based on features, optical quality and value for the money. Love my Meostar. Would a Swaro ATX or Kowa 883 be better? Maybe marginally, but they are at a completely different price-point.

D.Rose

Lil-Rokslider
Im going to invest in a new set of top tier binos myself. Also I have no way of comparing any of them really just because theres zero places or people around with a top of the line selection. For me the decision is to buy Swarovski and if it doesnt 100% suit me then I can resale them without any issue and not take a bath. Seems like the Swaros are a bulletproof selection.

Paraiso

FNG
I am currently fighting with this decision. It's a significant amount of money. The good thing is if I buy a pair I can get most of my money out of them on the used market.

work765

WKR
For what it’s worth. My SLC’s got me to like Swaro but the stx 65 I just picked up, Blew me away!! I’ve had the razor and some other spotters. Well worth the coin.

I am currently fighting with this decision. It's a significant amount of money. The good thing is if I buy a pair I can get most of my money out of them on the used market.

Alpha glass (i.e. the big 3) is well worth the money. However, if you can test before you buy then that is best. I'm a Swaro fanboy but Zeiss and Leica make great glass too and if you can try different alpha products, the optics will choose you. The "best" is what your eyes pick...

Paraiso

FNG
Alpha glass (i.e. the big 3) is well worth the money. However, if you can test before you buy then that is best. I'm a Swaro fanboy but Zeiss and Leica make great glass too and if you can try different alpha products, the optics will choose you. The "best" is what your eyes pick...
I've looked through some swaros and meoptas, but nothing else. Honestly my eyes couldn't tell a difference. It was a bright sunny day and I only looked through them for a few minutes each. I'm thinking I need some serious time scanning and then check them out during a low light situation to tell a difference.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

I've looked through some swaros and meoptas, but nothing else. Honestly my eyes couldn't tell a difference. It was a bright sunny day and I only looked through them for a few minutes each. I'm thinking I need some serious time scanning and then check them out during a low light situation to tell a difference.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Low light, distance, and long glassing sessions is where the alpha binos separate themselves in my opinion.