Talk me out of Swaro

svillalobos

Lil-Rokslider
I have a pair of 2003 Swaro EL 10x42, even though they are 16 years old they are just as good as the Razors I had. They are definitely not way better By any means but I’m sure Swarovski has made some huge leaps in 16 years time.

Once you go swaro, plan on replacing all your spotting optics with them. Went to 12x50 ELs this year and it's absolutely impressive.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

So here’s the deal- I have been running Razor 10x42’s for a couple years now, and I like them. I’m well aware that they are upper-mid level glass and the warranty etc. I just picked up a razor 85mm spotter to replace my Nikon ED50. Then I just had a thought that I could return the 85 and sell my nockers in order to finance some Swaro SLC’s. I would hang on to my ED50, and I don’t find myself using a spotter that much anyway. My main priority with glass is finding game, not so much trophy judging. I do hunt quite a bit of large and open country, and with my current 10s I can find game at quite a distance. So is trading up a good idea or am I better off as I sit?
Sounds like you have some money burning a hole in your pocket. I can relate. I think we all can.

I would never try and talk someone out of Swaros, but they aren't for me. I can do everything I need to do with less expensive glass, and I don't have to worry as much about losing them or having them stolen. Warranties don't cover that. I've been known to leave things on top of my truck or the edge of the bed or the bumper, and drive off. In fact, I did this just the other day with a hitch pin and now I have to go buy another hitch pin. $10 item, but it could have been something more expensive.

If you're not as forgetful as I am, and you feel you need better glass that will show you maybe .001% more detail, and you don't mind larger and heavier binoculars with a focus wheel that is worse than your Razors, then by all means, get the Swaros. :D

Okay, that was my best try. Now what do I get? :D

rodney482

WKR
Will you find more animals? Doubt it.
Are SLCs better than Razors? Yes
Are the SLC $800 better?? No.
I own both.

danarnold

WKR
I wanted a pair of swaros, prob still do, you really gotta ask yourself if your eyes are good enough to justify the $...I ended up with some meopta meostars from Doug that are dam good, get what I need done and I'm glad I bought them

edited

Last edited:
I absolutely find more animals with my 12x50 ELs vs my meopta 12x50s. I also had 10x42 razors. You will find more animals, but is it worth the extra 1500? Up to you and your money situation.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Bought swaro SLC 10x42s two years ago and started mounting them on a tripod. I hardly use my spotter now (vanguard 65). They’re that good. Saving up for a swaro ATS 65 now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The MOST logical thing to do is to find a store or dealer carrying the binoculars you're considering....take your current glass there....and do a side-by-side comparison outside under low-light or poor visibility conditions. You could also order from a dealer, with option to return and refund. I would never make a buying decision like this without proving to myself (my eyes) that the difference justified the price. It's like listening to one sound system or seeing one big screen television and then buying. Compare and be critical about what your money is getting you.

You might very well end up loving those Swaros and buying them. In fact, I'd predict you'd love them. The question is whether they're worth it to you.

I find more animals by detecting movement on the periphery than I do actually seeing the animal if that makes sense. The Swarovski EL are the absolute best tool for that. Huge field of view that’s 100% usable and sharp.

I find it difficult to own just one pair of binoculars because I hunt both West and East, and I bowhunt and rifle hunt and bird watch too. For the price of one pair of SLC's, a guy can buy two pairs of damn good glass in different formats. Just a thought.

hunt1up

WKR
I've spent way too much time and money trying out different glass. Conquests, Vipers, Nikon HG, Trinovids. I settled on some EL 10x42s a few years ago and loved them. Then I asked myself do I really NEED Swaros? Surely the answer is no, so I sold them. I went back to messing around and came back to Swaros with a pair of SLCs that I use now. Why I went back and forth after having ELs I don't know. Boredom I guess?

I should have just bought the SLCs years ago and saved myself the hassle and $$.

RosinBag

Super Moderator
Staff member
If you glass big open country, get the 12x50’s. Put them on a tripod and you won’t need your Nikon spotter as the Swarovski Binoculars will be far superior. The 12’s you can use well off hand as well.

If someone talks you out of Swaros, they have never owned them or don’t really glass as a hunting style.

rodney482

WKR
I've spent way too much time and money trying out different glass. Conquests, Vipers, Nikon HG, Trinovids. I settled on some EL 10x42s a few years ago and loved them. Then I asked myself do I really NEED Swaros? Surely the answer is no, so I sold them. I went back to messing around and came back to Swaros with a pair of SLCs that I use now. Why I went back and forth after having ELs I don't know. Boredom I guess?

I should have just bought the SLCs years ago and saved myself the hassle and $$.
I prefer the SLCs over ELs

A lot of good points made here, I'm also in the Swaro isn't worth the money to my eye camp. A buddy has 10X42 SLC's and I've got 10X42 Viper HD's in a side by side real world hunting scenario comparison I couldn't tell enough of a difference to justify $1,200 price difference. Swaro's are great no doubt, if you've got the cash and you want "Alpha" glass then I'm sure you won't be disappointed.

Holocene

WKR
For your situation, I'd get the 10x42 SLC and a tripod.

I sold my house a few years ago and splurged on the ELs and they are great but I'm not sure worth the extra $$.

That said, Swaro (or Leica) is going to give you an extra few minutes of glassing light and is that worth it to you? It sure is to me. Here's a story that sold me on my Swaros.

I was standing on a ridge in coastal Oregon watching elk feed in a clearcut 600 yards away with two other hunting buddies. Two of us had Swaros. The other guy ran a pair of Vortex or Nikon I can't remember. Nikon says, "Ok, well that's it" as dark fell. I looked over at my other buddy running Swaros and we just grinned not wanting to make Nikon feel bad about his perfectly good glass. The Swaros watched elk for another 5-6 minutes.

That 5-6 minutes is when a buck or bull will appear out of the timber and help you decide whether to hunt an area in the morning or not. Or make a move on an area in pre-dawn before other hunters have a chance. What is that difference worth to you for one day of hunting? Now multiply that against all your future hunting days?

Service is outstanding. Resale great. Consider selling a rifle or shotgun and make the move.