Talk me out of Swaro

I’ve had Leica and Zeiss (conquest hd) but upgraded to swaro 10x and 15x after watching classifieds for a while. Definitely happy with the change. Went with meopta s2 82 for spotter because that thing is just incredible for the money and I don’t spend a ton of time on spotter. Binos get more use.

I own or have owned Binos: vortex razor, Zeiss conquest, leupold bx-5 and Swarovski slc. The 8x42 slc is on another level. Almost to the point it looks like someone turned the lights on brighter. It doesn’t even make sense how clear and bright they are.

I own or have owned Binos: vortex razor, Zeiss conquest, leupold bx-5 and Swarovski slc. The 8x42 slc is on another level. Almost to the point it looks like someone turned the lights on brighter. It doesn’t even make sense how clear and bright they are.
One could say the same thing if comparing those same three optics to Nikon Monarch HGs, Meopta Meostars, current Leicas or Zeiss HT/Victory.

Just becoming pretty clear there are many here very brand loyal to Swarovski and Vortex. Swaro makes great binoculars, but they’re not necessarily better than others in their class.

Last edited:
Just becoming pretty clear there are many here very brand loyal to Swarovski and Vortex. Swaro makes great binoculars, but they’re not necessarily better than others in their class.

Most alpha glass fanboys (Swaro fan here) would tell you once you get to alpha level glass, they're all good. At that point it comes down to minor nuances for most and the bino will pick them. Zeiss and Leica also make great glass. Swaro was better to MY eyes, but that isn't the case for everyone.

Most alpha glass fanboys (Swaro fan here) would tell you once you get to alpha level glass, they're all good. At that point it comes down to minor nuances for most and the bino will pick them. Zeiss and Leica also make great glass. Swaro was better to MY eyes, but that isn't the case for everyone.

Yeah, pretty much. The only other thing with the Zeiss I didn’t like was that eclipse thing going on. I ordered bigger eye cups to help to stop it but I still didn’t like it. Like you said, it’s whatever your eyes prefer.

Just remember that adjectives like 'best', 'better' and 'superior' are simply subjective valuations of an optic. We might agree on much of it but being different people with different eyes and hunting in different conditions there will never be complete agreement on a best optic. My 'best' might be your 3rd choice, and your 'best' might not even make the cut for me. I always discount the flat declaratives stating X brand is the best, or better than anything going.

AKYZ450F

FNG
I know I'm late to this, and lots of good advice has been posted.
The one thing I would say is find whatever brand glass you can spend 8 hours or more behind with out eye strain/headaches. any of the mid to top glass seem fine up to an hour, but sit behind them for 4 hours straight and see what your eyes like best.

bozeman

WKR
Agreed. The diff in the Leica and Swaro to me, my experience alone. Leica ‘softer' picture and the SLC 'sterile' clean picture. Both were nice, I kept the Swaro.

TheFool

Lil-Rokslider
I’m late to this but there’s no talking you out of it. I tried to talk myself out of swaro by buying razor UHD’s and returned them within 2 days and paid the extra for the EL’s

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So here’s the deal- I have been running Razor 10x42’s for a couple years now, and I like them. I’m well aware that they are upper-mid level glass and the warranty etc. I just picked up a razor 85mm spotter to replace my Nikon ED50. Then I just had a thought that I could return the 85 and sell my nockers in order to finance some Swaro SLC’s. I would hang on to my ED50, and I don’t find myself using a spotter that much anyway. My main priority with glass is finding game, not so much trophy judging. I do hunt quite a bit of large and open country, and with my current 10s I can find game at quite a distance. So is trading up a good idea or am I better off as I sit?

I’ll say save your money for something else... Swarovski guys have a hard-on for Swaro like a PhD thinks a PhD is a Purple Heart. Do the Pepsi challenge and you’ll see. It’s like a $50 bottle of wine that’s marginally better than a $12 bottle.

On the other hand, you’ll be much cooler on Rokslide, especially if you tote a Tikka 🤣

Lawnboi

WKR
It’s easy to say yea give er on the swaros if you had junk glass, but you don’t so I’d weigh your options carefully, especially if you need any gear or more tags.

I also would be shopping for a deal if I were in your situation, what you have is completely serviceable, especially if your not worried all that much about size.

Q child

WKR
SLCs are sweet. I have a lot of experience with them. Most of it has been with the 15s, but I also owned the 10s for a short while. Very nice binoculars, probably one of my favorite 10s.
Kind of a tweener as far as price point goes. Not a whole lot of direct compition, but a fair amount of very good and cheaper options. Your Razors are nice, MHGs are nice, Conquests are nice, Trinovids are nice, and are all a bit cheaper. In my opinion, the SLCs are the best 10s you can get for under $2k, and would be an upgrade on your razors on clarity, feel, brightness...
Having said that, I'd probably keep the scope and the Razors. Razors are pretty damn good.

bozeman

WKR
I’ll say save your money for something else... Swarovski guys have a hard-on for Swaro like a PhD thinks a PhD is a Purple Heart. Do the Pepsi challenge and you’ll see. It’s like a $50 bottle of wine that’s marginally better than a $12 bottle.

On the other hand, you’ll be much cooler on Rokslide, especially if you tote a Tikka 🤣

I can agree with part of this. The move from a Trinovid HD to and SLC wasn’t as big of a jump from a Leupold BX to the Trinovid HD; however, there is a noticeable difference, especially in lower light conditions. Is it worth it, to me, yes. Marginally better matters to some, to others it’s not worth it.

I can agree with part of this. The move from a Trinovid HD to and SLC wasn’t as big of a jump from a Leupold BX to the Trinovid HD; however, there is a noticeable difference, especially in lower light conditions. Is it worth it, to me, yes. Marginally better matters to some, to others it’s not worth it.

You nailed it... I can definitely tell the difference between my Monarch 7s and the $100 stuff, but my eyes aren’t good enough to tell the difference between the 7s and a Swaro. I’d call the guy from @Camera Land and quiz him... sounds like he’s a longtime sponsor and really knows his stuff.

The OP says talk me out of Swaros, and I say 100% there are better places to toss money as a backcountry hunter - you could probably get a badass scope and a pair of binos for the same price as Swaros. Won’t be as cool and elite but the animals won’t know 😂

bozeman

WKR
I experienced exactly what Doug told me on the phone. He won’t steer you wrong. I still believe the Trinovid HD is the best ‘purchase’ for a solid optic that performs at a very high level for 95% of hunters.

JNDEER

WKR
For anyone who has actually spent time behind both glass (and I don’t mean outside of BPS)— it would be easy to talk you out of it!

Think Rodney said it best. They are better- but you will no doubt question the purchase after using them for a while. The differences are there- just not like going from a $200 bino to a $1000.

For a guy who hunts A LOT. Eats sleeps and breathes hunting... they make sense. For an average hunter who has many other hobbies, razors will give you everything you need. Unless you have plenty of disposable income- that’s a different story.

A real world example would be a button buck at 800 yards feeding in yellow grass. Razors will have you saying I think that doe is a small buck... the swaro will have you saying, yes I can see bumps on his head.

I have both and The differences are there- but you have to look for them.

WRO

WKR
For anyone who has actually spent time behind both glass (and I don’t mean outside of BPS)— it would be easy to talk you out of it!

Think Rodney said it best. They are better- but you will no doubt question the purchase after using them for a while. The differences are there- just not like going from a $200 bino to a $1000.

For a guy who hunts A LOT. Eats sleeps and breathes hunting... they make sense. For an average hunter who has many other hobbies, razors will give you everything you need. Unless you have plenty of disposable income- that’s a different story.

A real world example would be a button buck at 800 yards feeding in yellow grass. Razors will have you saying I think that doe is a small buck... the swaro will have you saying, yes I can see bumps on his head.

I have both and The differences are there- but you have to look for them.

Having used them both in the field, I disagree with you 100%.. If you only get to hunt a week out of the year, why wouldn't you want every advantage. They can literally be the difference between failure and success.

JNDEER

WKR
Having used them both in the field, I disagree with you 100%.. If you only get to hunt a week out of the year, why wouldn't you want every advantage. They can literally be the difference between failure and success.

If you are only hunting a week in the field statistically your odds of success will be very low to start. It can take some people a whole day to get their "glass eyes" as i call it and get your eyes use to the extensive glassing you would be doing.

Maybe your use is different than mine but to tell someone that the difference between failure and success is a swaro compared to a razor (or any bino in the $1000 category) would be extremely misleading.

A razor (again any bino in the $1000 category that i have looked through would be comparable in this example) will give you more than enough detail to find any deer glassing just as easy as any "alpha" glass. I will agree with your comment if you were to say a $1000 bino will be a difference compared to a $300 bino though.