Talk to me about Texas.

Timplant

Lil-Rokslider
not sure if this is the right place but asking about nashville last year worked well.

Wife wants to go to Texas in April, we’ll have a car and 10 days, we like good food and my only requirement is I want to shoot a few hogs and be warm.

Probably mostly south by the coast with most of our time, if that’s safe and a good option.

Hit me with any and all, and looking for a place to hunt if anyone can help me out there! Thanks

eamyrick

WKR
Alamo in San Antonio, Big Bend, Caprock Canyon/Palo Duro Canyon (read Empire of the Summer Moon first). Oddly Hog hunts are getting harder and harder to book and to be honest they are best hunted at night. Depending on the month Javelina on the border is also a cool option.

Mt Al

WKR
Have fished the coast a few times between Corpus Cristi and Rockport. Highly recommended. Seems like a good selection of guides at reasonable prices. Can't wait to go back!

schmalzy

WKR
Fredericksburg should be pretty enjoyable that time of year. Could more than likely find a hunt close by, but as others have said, they’re getting pricy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Clintopher

Lil-Rokslider
I’m gonna have to disagree on the Alamo unless your a history buff. It’s pretty anticlimactic, especially considering all that’s around it. Maybe 100 years ago it was cool but now it’s just a small building surrounded by big buildings and trees that should have died but are supported by cabling.

It’s pretty easy to be warm there.

BBQ is awesome pretty much anywhere. Commercial places are good, mom and pops are better. Mexican is the same. Definitely go to Shipleys early enough to get hot glazed donuts. If you’re really lucky, they’ll have hot cinnamon twists.

The hill country is awesome, lots of things to do there and lots of exotics ranches where you can hunt axis, blackbuck, hogs, pretty much anything. Hog hunts are normally reasonable. If you end up in the hill country, go to Gruene for sure. Cool little town and the oldest dance hall in Texas is there. (Gruene Hall). The Grist Mill is great place to eat while you're there and they have a winery that is great if you're into that.

San Antonio has a lot of stuff, the riverwalk is great and pretty much all the riverwalk restraunts are good. Plus the Alamo is always cool to check out.

Glaveston is a neat old town, but honestly there's a lot of rifraff around and it's become a tourist trap. It's still worth going but be careful at night depending on where you are. If it looks shady it is lol. You can fish off several different piers there too.

I live here and we travel all over, so any specific questions feel free to message me. I hunt on a place in Lampasas County where the landowner does day hunts for hogs at $150 a day and one hog per day. It's high fenced and I know some people don't like that, but you can kill all the hogs you want in there.

rosco11

FNG
Fredericksburg should be pretty enjoyable that time of year. Could more than likely find a hunt close by, but as others have said, they’re getting pricy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
This is a good spot, you can get good food, all the Texas wineries and whiskey. Plus hunting opportunity all around

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

Zappaman

WKR
I'm 7th gen Texan (now in Kansas) and lived in Austin and the Hill Country (20 years) and it's gotten... BUSY.

IH-35 is a parking lot 1/2 the time. Everything cost 10 times what it did 20 yrs ago (and sadly some great restaurants closed- while the "crap" ones mystically stayed open???) Killer place 22 yrs ago when I met my wife on Lake Austin wake boarding... but I'd steer clear of the San Antonio/Austin/Hill Country (Fredericksburg) "triangle" on weekends-- maybe venture in for a night or too middle of the week.

But if me these days I'd just stay to the south. In fact, I'd go ALL the way south and hit S. Padre' for a few days. The nicer beach front hotels out north of the island "town" (La Quinta area) can have some good deals after Spring Break (between seasons).

The main brew pub has excellent beer plus drinks (love the Red Ale), appetizers (monster shrimp!) and (fresh caught that day) dinner deals AND... a good happy hour. Dirty Al's (Pelican Station) is also a superb seafood spot on the Port Isabel side of the causeway- dine at the bar for the window view to the south. Stay away from Sea Ranch though- tourist trap.

It's a drive down, but Port Isabel and S. Padre (sister cities with a big bridge between them) are worth 4-5 days-- has beaches you can drive right up to (or walk out the back of the hotel onto- *take your own drink cup to the beach). Prices are FAIR, and it's perfectly warm in April but not too hot. I'd bet you could find some good pig hunting along the way if you work some contacts. But be mindful of your meat (I eat my pigs, so I'd think about freezing it after a hunt if it were me). You could hunt first, hit Padre, back-track and grab frozen meat if you find a locker for a week (or ranch with a freezer). Random thoughts at this point...

Good luck and PM for any more details if you'd like.

PS. El Arroyo is (well, was 15 years ago anyway)... a South Austin "hipster" dump with good food- don't take your kids and sit at the bar/"anything" with money welcome type of place ;)>

Mosby

WKR
Personally, I think Texas is over rated in many ways. No state income taxes but they make it up with other things like extremely high insurance. Hot and humid. Lots of snakes. Stupid traffic. They like to drink water out of hoof prints and some of the men wear jeans tighter than the women.

That said, I met some nice people when I lived and worked there.

Edit: Their BBQ needs sauce.

Jaker_cc

WKR
Kings Inn down in Loyola Beach, Lala’s in Mirando City, beaches in South Padre, Paloma Blanca in San Antonio, Garrison Brothers distillery in Hye, Kolaches in West, Stockyards in Ft Worth, Gruene Hall in Gruene (New Braunfels), Fishing on Baffin Bay (pm me for guide recommendations), visit the King Ranch Museum in Kingsville.

Feel free to PM me with any specific questions.

Button

WKR
If you get to Austin, go eat at the original "Salt Lick" (well south of town)- they HAVE the right sauce (it's yellow, but don't let that scare ya'!)
The burnt brisket ends/bark is excellent.

I live on the coast. I know my way around fishing the surf. April is a tough month for surf fishing, generally windy. But when you get a good calm weather window it’s excellent for sandbar sharks and pompano. I’m not much of a fan for traveling to the big cities unless it’s for something very specific that interests me.

Reburn

Mayhem Contributor
I'd go to that El Arroyo place.

Just curious about the atmosphere in that joint.

View attachment 368742

Went to have dinner down by the late saturday and passed el arroyo.
The sign said,
"nothing lies more then a parent saying maybe"

The vibe is what you expect. But its Austin that is generally the vibe from the whole town but it is changing rapidly.