Talk to me about Texas.

If you are looking for a hog hunt and want to add Axis to the list then look up the Baker3 ranch. They have a good hog population and a great Axis population....they are out in the RockSprings area.

If you want just hogs, try the Brushhills ranch, they are in Sabinal. Pete is good people!

Drove to corpus Christi a few years ago with our kids. . . Stopped in San Antonio for a few days. The river walk is fun but crowded, Alamo is cool if you like history, visiting the other missions is probably just as cool if not more so, El mercado in the historic market square was fun. One of the missions has a light show and story of Texas/San Antonio that was fun. Sea world if you really want to. . .

Corpus Christi and north padre national sea shore were fun.

Go see the USS Lexington if you are in corpus Christi . . . Again kind of a history thing but you get to walk through an old aircraft carrier. Ate some good food on the coast. North padre island you can drive down the beach for miles and miles. If your in a car you can read up but the first 7 or 8 miles are pretty firm and well traveled.

And stop at a Buc-ee's gas station. . . The Tashmahal of gas stations! They may have been my kids favorite part of the trip.

S-3 ranch

WKR
Avoid Austin, Houston, Dallas
fredrickburg, kerrviile have lots of hunting options, coast, rock port, Baffin Bay , spi

fredrickburge , Alamo spring cafe is the best burger, CFS, onion rings
Sunset grill breakfast , old German bakery
coopers bbq in Llano is worth the drive

Attachments

• 5E6B84EE-7AF1-4EF6-A4F1-DB114FB5B1F3.png
    5E6B84EE-7AF1-4EF6-A4F1-DB114FB5B1F3.png
    864.3 KB · Views: 19
Last edited:

Buck197

WKR
Alamo in San Antonio, Big Bend, Caprock Canyon/Palo Duro Canyon (read Empire of the Summer Moon first). Oddly Hog hunts are getting harder and harder to book and to be honest they are best hunted at night. Depending on the month Javelina on the border is also a cool option.
What he said, and add Ft. Davis and Alpine while in the Big Bend country. And an interesting side trip in that area, goto Van Horn, your 103 miles due south of Carlsbad caverns, and on the way you pass by this interesting little thing, called Blue origin, thats where they launch the rockets into space. nI railroaded in Van Horn, used to watch the launches.

I live in New Braunfels, Texas which is between San Antonio and Austin. I’ve lived in Texas my entire life and have seen just about all of it.

Hunting hogs is readily available almost anywhere in the state. The state is huge and has many ecological regions. From pine forests, to deserts, to beaches, to mountains. You can spend your entire 10 days staring out the windshield and not see half of it.

After you narrow down the scope of your trip, we can better help.

Fredericksburg is way over rated in my opinion. All there is to do is walk around and look at overpriced stores, and drink wine. I would recommend Gruene, stay at the mansion. Lots of good food and good music within walking distance, Everyone needs to float the river but, I wouldn't recommend it in April lol. Also close to Austin and San Antonio. I live in Brownwood and I will ask around about hog hunts. I have killed 60 this winter at our place and trying to talk my Dad into doing a few hunts.

Stiffy11

FNG
Fredericksburg is way over rated in my opinion. All there is to do is walk around and look at overpriced stores, and drink wine. I would recommend Gruene, stay at the mansion. Lots of good food and good music within walking distance, Everyone needs to float the river but, I wouldn't recommend it in April lol. Also close to Austin and San Antonio. I live in Brownwood and I will ask around about hog hunts. I have killed 60 this winter at our place and trying to talk my Dad into doing a few hunts.
Thats funny, I feel the same about Fredericksburg and im across the bayou from you (live in Early). If your highfalutin then Fredricksburg or Kerrville will be what you want. I like the more laid back lifestyle. Look for an air bnb around Mason to Menard area on the San Saba river. Anywhere in that general area will have plenty to do and not overly crowed. Stay out of the big cities for the best time.

OXN939

WKR
Avoid Austin, Houston, Dallas
fredrickburg, kerrviile have lots of hunting options, coast, rock port, Baffin Bay , spi

fredrickburge , Alamo spring cafe is the best burger, CFS, onion rings
Sunset grill breakfast , old German bakery
coopers bbq in Llano is worth the drive

Any BBQ recs down towards Harlingen/ Port I?

S-3 ranch

WKR
Yeah it’s kinda a lady shopping town , but the WW2 Nimitz center is a 2-4 hour time thing , enchanted rock hiking, a axis hunt?

no BBQ on coastal except in port Mansfield,
lots of awesome Mexican food and down south coast

I live in northeast Texas. In April, the bass fishing will be great, and a hog hunt would be pretty easy to come by. That said, I'm no where close to tourism here!

Bringing your wife, I'd suggest look at Port Aransas. Cinnamon Shores is very nice. There is a cash only tex-mex restaurant that it great (La Playa) and you would be close to a lot of very large ranches to hunt. I'd suggest Nilgai and go home with a full freezer.

If you choose a San Antonio/Austin/hill country trip. Total Archery Challenge will be and the end of April. It was fun last year, but stupid crowded.