Tall Bipod recommendation...need recommendation

catorres1

Lil-Rokslider
We use the tall Harris on our rifles so that we can shoot seated from the ground off bipods. With a pack in your lap supporting the back of the rifle, I find this a very accurate solution for long range shooting in the field. It's great for, really, any shots.

The issue I have is that deploying that bipod is very slow. The problem is that the leg extensions have to be individually adjusted to an opening point that is neither full out or full in, so you are basically pulling it out to a set point, then tightening the wheel....for each leg. It's fiddly and slow at best, way slower than just leaning on my pack, but much more accurate.

What I would like to know (if it exists) is a tall bipod that can be pre-set to a specific height, so that you can just grab each leg and pull open, but where it will stop wherever you have set it to stop to be adjusted to the height generally needed.

Hope that's understandable, anyone know of any such bipod?

Thanks!

for a 26"-29" range I don't know of any - the idea of utilizing trekking poles for shooting sticks seems a very simple and versatile idea IF you get the poles with clamping locks rather than twist locks - each system: bipods / shooting sticks / tripods / "whatever", seem to have their sweet spot or best shooting style but so much depends on hunt style and/or terrain that finding something that will work everywhere is like that "unicorn" thing IMO ….

OP
C

catorres1

Lil-Rokslider
Deerkiller,

Thanks for the response! I currently have a Harris 27" bipod, primos sticks, and treking poles with clamp locks....of course a tripod for a spotter etc. as well. I worked last year getting good at long range, but realized my 'shorter range, get the shot off from sighting the animal to shot' time was neglected. I need to do better on those unexpected 150-400 yard shots, especially the closer in ones where you might have only seconds to make it happen.

Last weekend, went out with the instructor I go to and worked on a few different methods....throwing my pack down and shooting prone, shooting seated off my pack, seeing how fast (slow) I can get my bipod set for a seated shot, trigger sticks, and then using trekking poles crossed. The trekking poles I almost always have, but it was a bit fiddly depending on the ground I was on...sometimes they stuck, sometimes they did not.

The bipod was too slow because fully extended is too long, so they have to be individually set using the wheel, which is very slow.

Trigger sticks were fine if you already have them out, which I don't' because I use trekking poles heavily due to an injury.

The pack was fast if it was just on one shoulder, but fully packed and fully strapped on....not so much. And as far as precision goes, the bipod was much easier and faster for me to get the shot off once it was setup.

So yeah, looking for that middle solution and since I posted this, I think I may have found a promising candidate in the Hatch bipod. Problem is....sight unseen...and it's (for me) super expensive, especially considering I would need one for my son too. Really wanted to try it and review it before committing that kind of money, but alas, does not look like that's going to happen, so I'll probably have to pass for now.

One other poster on another board suggested I try instead a Harris 25" pod...I seem to remember that being just a bit too short, but I'm going to check it out again. If it works at full extension, it will be fast and might be the ticket.

wilydawg

Lil-Rokslider
FWIW, I too was looking for a bipod that was good for prone and sitting shots and quick to deploy and adjust. I ended up buying the Hatch at the Expo. Haven't had a chance to use it in the field yet but playing with it at home it looks like it will do what I want it to do. And yes the price was high but the build quality is definitely there and the people at the Hatch booth seemed to be very genuine so I think they'd back their product should a problem arise.

OP
C

catorres1

Lil-Rokslider
FWIW, I too was looking for a bipod that was good for prone and sitting shots and quick to deploy and adjust. I ended up buying the Hatch at the Expo. Haven't had a chance to use it in the field yet but playing with it at home it looks like it will do what I want it to do. And yes the price was high but the build quality is definitely there and the people at the Hatch booth seemed to be very genuine so I think they'd back their product should a problem arise.
Thanks for that info, it's definitely on my radar. Someone else told me to check out the Snippod by KDC. So I am looking at that too, as it's a bunch cheaper.

But Hatch is definitely on my mind. May need to re-stock or even replace my son's rifle this year, also want to maybe pick up a lightweight tent (Sawtooth or maybe a Redcliff) for season this year, so trying to minimize how much more debt I pile onto my card!

Also, "Vanguard" (good quality, affordable tripod company) has just come out with a bipod that is in that "25" - 27" range that is a few oz lighter than the Harris and has some well thought out "improvements" in the leg adjustments and deployment locks - I bought one and was very pleasantly surprised, cost less than $60 too !
As far as shooting off a pack, IF the circumstances of the shot favor it there's hardly a better choice IMO … for me, "prone" isn't a good option unless I'm elevated but being "elevated" is a common place to be when one sees game, so are some rocks and such to snuggle into/over, what might behoove all of us is to practice stretching and full contraction/extension incorporated into our training, being able to "contort" a bit not only lends itself to settling into a comfortable position but I've found that often those last inches or partial-inches lend to being more steady as well (of course, being young helps that a ton as well ….)

Last edited:

mtnwrunner

Super Moderator
Staff member
What works for me is this..........
As a general rule, for shots 500 and under, I shoot off my pack. Anything longer than that, I shoot off my tripod which I always carry and have with me. I feel that for a "long range" shot, you shouldn't really be in that much of a rush and have time to set up. My tripod is a sirui tx-025 carbon which can be attached to the forearm of my rifle via picatinny rail. Any tripod can be made to work. I prefer a ball head as you can move it in any direction and lock it in place. SUPER stable, easy and fast to deploy the legs........you can actually grab all the twist locks at the same time, pull the legs out all at the same time. You can make it any height you want and the sirui also can lay flat.

Randyimage.jpg

OP
C

catorres1

Lil-Rokslider
Will check out that Vanguard....long and short, I made a mistake when I bought the Harris...I thought there was only a 23.5 and a 27. What I needed was a 25. I see now that there is a 25 available, the difference between the 25 and the 27 is only the last segment leg. I called Harris to see if I could purchase that part or pay to have mine fitted with the shorter leg, but they said no,buy new bipods (we have two, one for myself , one for my son). Not sure I really want to do that...so looking at that Vanguard.

As to shooting off my pack, I have practiced pulling off my pack, sitting quickly on the ground, then using the pack as a bipod....for shots to 400 or 450. This is all about the 'need to make a fast shot'. What I am really trying to do is be fast and good enough for a quick shot to maybe 300, mostly in that 150-250 range. I did okay, but unstrapping my Kifaru and getting it into use takes longer than I'd like with all the buckles and it being 30 pounds or so at times. Plus, as steady as it is, it's still not as steady as my extended bipod, at least not for me.

When I have time, like the 400 plus yard shots...then the bipod works perfectly. Have used it on steel out past 1500. No complaints, but this is not about those situations...it's about the shorter range-but-still-want-a-rest situations.

As for prone, it's always off the pack for me....that is actually my fastest and most secure position....but where I live, it's not very useful. Too flat, too much brush and grass. That said, if I have the opportunity to go prone, I can get that pack down and rifle on it and take a steady shot the fastest from that position, with the most confidence.

OP
C

catorres1

Lil-Rokslider
Check out the "swagger" bipod. Its not quick adjust but seems to have awesome versatility. One of these may be in my future
Been looking at those too....they seem to have some very interesting capabilities. Wonder how they would do on very long shots on steel and rocks. Probably have to be more of a hunting solution, then switch to something stiffer for other stuff, but not sure.

Been looking at those too....they seem to have some very interesting capabilities. Wonder how they would do on very long shots on steel and rocks. Probably have to be more of a hunting solution, then switch to something stiffer for other stuff, but not sure.

Yes I think you are right about them being more of a hunting unit. They do have the "lock" feature though? There isn't much info out there on them. I have run a harris for years. It is a bit of a bitch to set up in a hurry.

OP
C

catorres1

Lil-Rokslider
Yes I think you are right about them being more of a hunting unit. They do have the "lock" feature though? There isn't much info out there on them. I have run a harris for years. It is a bit of a bitch to set up in a hurry.

It is, but I think I figured out the problem well enough for us. The issue is that we should have bought the 25 in the first place, but I did not know they made a 25, only a 27 and a 23.5. A 25 allows us to pull the legs out to full extension and be good to go for a sitting shot.

What I did this evening is to cut off the leg extension below the spring connection block...basically lowering the pods to 25" at full lock. So now, I can just pull the legs and sit down and shoot. I just need to get some rubber feet to fit on as the old ones don't fit on that block...should be no problem.

That said, the other options like the Swagger seem to allow for more versatility. Once I finish the other reviews I am working on, think I might try and get a few pods together to review...maybe test setup times for fast shots out to 300ish, long shots out to 1100 etc... and see what has the most versatility.

Vaultman

WKR
If you have a tri-pod for glassing Outdoorsmans makes a rifle rest for theirs. Spendy accessory but may be worth it to make a shot.

I purchased Swaggers for both my sons - Neither liked it at all so I took one to give it a try - Heavy, Negates carrying rifle cradled in one hand, Bulky, Kind of slow to deploy, Expensive ("cons" I quickly came away with)

4ester

WKR
We use the tall Harris on our rifles so that we can shoot seated from the ground off bipods. With a pack in your lap supporting the back of the rifle, I find this a very accurate solution for long range shooting in the field. It's great for, really, any shots.

The issue I have is that deploying that bipod is very slow. The problem is that the leg extensions have to be individually adjusted to an opening point that is neither full out or full in, so you are basically pulling it out to a set point, then tightening the wheel....for each leg. It's fiddly and slow at best, way slower than just leaning on my pack, but much more accurate.

What I would like to know (if it exists) is a tall bipod that can be pre-set to a specific height, so that you can just grab each leg and pull open, but where it will stop wherever you have set it to stop to be adjusted to the height generally needed.

Hope that's understandable, anyone know of any such bipod?

Thanks!

Harris makes a notched leg type is exactly what you are looking forthat may work better. And I would recommend the S-type that allows the gun to cant.

Charon

Lil-Rokslider
Get a carbon fiber manfrotto with pistol grip ball head and a hog saddle. Problem solved. You can shoot standing, sitting, leaning, off a rock, whatever. Train yourself to set up quickly.

Sled

WKR
Harris makes a notched leg type is exactly what you are looking forthat may work better. And I would recommend the S-type that allows the gun to cant.

i use this same bipod in a 9-13" extension and find it effective for my prone shooting. it's really fast for uneven ground. just press the button and let it stop on the ground for each leg. use the swivel to further level, then aim and pull the trigger.

I purchased Swaggers for both my sons - Neither liked it at all so I took one to give it a try - Heavy, Negates carrying rifle cradled in one hand, Bulky, Kind of slow to deploy, Expensive ("cons" I quickly came away with)

Good to know! I haven't seen anything negative about them so far. The cradled carry is something I wouldn't have thought of

OP
C

catorres1

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for the recommendation! But what I am looking for is something I can use to shoot from a seated position. I wish they made a notched leg one that goes to 25", but they don't to my knowlege.

What would be really cool is if you could set a 'stop'. So you could get something that goes 27 inches, but then set it to open only to what fits your need, whether that's 23 inches or 27 or whatever. Suppose Sled's point about letting the spring sorta auto set it works too....if only they would do that on the longer pods.