So very important part. I'm 6'9".
I'm looking to get into backpack hunts.
So i need a tent..pad, quilt/bag.
So far i found :
REI co-ophalf dome 2 plus $230
mountain Smith Morrison 2 person on Amazon $140

North face eco trail bed 20 $130
North face eco bag 20 $140,
I think id be more comgortable in a quilt type rather a mummy. But I'm new what do i know.

Pads i really have no idea.

I will be using most likely nov- dec.. average temps be 20-60 degrees in our area.

Budget. 600ish. For all 3.

Any recommendations?

Sent from my SM-J327VPP using Tapatalk

tdot

WKR
Look at the Seek Outside Silex, it's a floorless shelter, but huge inside, it should easily accommodate you.

I cant help you witha specific pad, but a buddy of mine is 6'8" and he sleeps on the longest pad he could find and then adds a big inflatable pillow at the head end to add another 10" or so.

2rocky

WKR
I find the REI Brand Half dome tents are well built mat tougher (albeit slightly heavier) than the Copper Spur models from Big Agnes. (it wouldn't surprise me if they made them private label.

The BA bags are nice, I've started just wearing a down jacket to bedso my sleeping bag only has to go up to my ribcage.

sneaky

"DADDY"
At 6'9" your options are pretty limited on finding a bag that fits without paying a premium for a 7' bag from Western Mountaineering or the like. A LightHeart Gear SoLong 6 will fit you, but that's half your budget. Any of the 2 man tents like you mentioned are gonna seem short for someone your height especially when sitting up inside of them. I don't know of any sleeping pads made for super tall guys. I think you'll just have to put your pack or something under your feet.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

What do you weigh? Side sleeper or back?

Not sure on bags. I am #250 with 50” shoulders. Have had good luck with big agnes and Nemo for shoulder width but don’t know about your height. That WM option above is great but will blow your budget. A quilt might be an option but make sure sure know what the finished length is going to be. Some of the Makers quote length based on an unfilled blank pattern and you lose a few inches when they add fill.

i am not sure there are pads made over 6’6”. I am 6’3” but a side sleeper So I use a 6’ pad. Mine is a sea to summit ether light that is $$$ but reasonably light and 4” thick. Thermrest xtherm is a good option for less $.

i have one of those REI tents. Mine has held up well though the seam tape died after a few years. Easy to seal up. Some hiking partners have and like Nemo tents. Called a hornet I think. For your size, your gonna rub the walls on most one person tents With 85” of length. So, get a 2 person and sleep diagonal. That will give you 90+” And room for gear. Lots folks here like floorless and it has its charms but if you are not an experienced outdoors person, it may not be the best way to start.

OP
GiantGreg

GiantGreg

Lil-Rokslider
Look at the Seek Outside Silex, it's a floorless shelter, but huge inside, it should easily accommodate you.

I cant help you witha specific pad, but a buddy of mine is 6'8" and he sleeps on the longest pad he could find and then adds a big inflatable pillow at the head end to add another 10" or so.
I dunno about floorless yet.. sometimes we have pretty warm weather late in season. Mosquitos love me, not a fan of mice, spidera or snakes getting in either. Coppeeheads are very common here. think i want enclosed ,
The silex is 7' long. But the rei is 92" so it's actually longer.

Ya all the pads i found max were 77/78.. another reason o was leaning towards quilt. Let feet hang out. Or have a pillow on my head. Either way prob work.

Also i want a 2 person.. for my gear and comfort and i got that one friend..ya know 10 out of 10 times he swears he's going, but 9 out of 10 you never hear from him away go time. Still be does show on occasion.

Last edited:
OP
GiantGreg

GiantGreg

Lil-Rokslider
What do you weigh? Side sleeper or back?

Not sure on bags. I am #250 with 50” shoulders. Have had good luck with big agnes and Nemo for shoulder width but don’t know about your height. That WM option above is great but will blow your budget. A quilt might be an option but make sure sure know what the finished length is going to be. Some of the Makers quote length based on an unfilled blank pattern and you lose a few inches when they add fill.

i am not sure there are pads made over 6’6”. I am 6’3” but a side sleeper So I use a 6’ pad. Mine is a sea to summit ether light that is $$$ but reasonably light and 4” thick. Thermrest xtherm is a good option for less $.

i have one of those REI tents. Mine has held up well though the seam tape died after a few years. Easy to seal up. Some hiking partners have and like Nemo tents. Called a hornet I think. For your size, your gonna rub the walls on most one person tents With 85” of length. So, get a 2 person and sleep diagonal. That will give you 90+” And room for gear. Lots folks here like floorless and it has its charms but if you are not an experienced outdoors person, it may not be the best way to start.
230# side 75% time.
This kind of craft I'm definitely new to.

Last edited:

sneaky

"DADDY"
That REI might say 92" but your useable length is going to be much shorter because of the slope of the walls. That's why I recommended the SoLong6. It's 100" with 8" vertical end walls before sloping and a 45" head height, or 48", can't remember. I can assure you also, that with you being 6'9" you aren't going to even want to try to fit another guy in that REI tent with you. You'll hate life. You might wanna contact VIAM Outdoors and see what they would quote you on a synthetic quilt for your height. I know a lot of the taller guys on here run 3 or 4 man tents to have enough room without hitting the sloping end walls.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

tdot

WKR
I dunno about floorless yet.. sometimes we have pretty warm weather late in season. Mosquitos love me, not a fan of mice, spidera or snakes getting in either. Coppeeheads are very common here. think i want enclosed ,
The silex is 7' long. But the rej is 92" so it's actually longer.

Ya all the pads i found max were 77/78.. another reason o was leaning towards quilt. Let feet hang out. Or have a pillow on my head. Either way prob work.

Aldo i want a 2 person.. for my gear and comfort and i got that one friend..ya know 10 out of 10 times he swears he's going, but 9 out of 10 you never hear from him away go time. Still be does show on occasion.

Ya, if there are snakes and spiders I'm not sure I'd do the floorless either. But it may be worth looking into a pyramid store tent with a nest if you genuinely want 2 people. I'm only 6', but I haven't slept in too many 2 person tents and thought it was roomy. Silex being an exception. Most times for my wife and I, I'd look at a 3 person at a minimum. For your size, I think 3 would be a minimum, 4 preferred. Dont forget, those dimensions that are listed on most tents are the absolute max dimension, subtract the gap between the mesh and rain fly, and then the slope, quite quickly you'll find 8" to 12" at a minimum is unusable.

I love quilts, definitely the right call, but they do require a bit of a learning curve. Probably even more so then a floorless shelter. 2 major tips, is buy it larger then you think you need and get a warmer pad then you think you need. Both of those items will go along way to making a quilt a success.

i set up a pillow with my head off the end of my pad so I can get away with 72”

for tents, a ”2 person“ is rarely 2 people plus hunting gear. If you want 2 bigger people to sleep comfortably in a backpacking tent look for a 3 person or 3+. I am 6’3” and my brother is 6’5”. We were cozy in my REI 3 person tent in a yellow stone a couple of years ago and finished out the trip sleeping under separate tarps.

OP
GiantGreg

GiantGreg

Lil-Rokslider
so in the rei tents, if I slept angled do you then that would work?

Sleeping pads how about the Therm-a-Rest NeoAir Xtherm Sleeping Pad or the big agnes q core sleeping pad?

Low_Sky

Lil-Rokslider
so in the rei tents, if I slept angled do you then that would work?

Sleeping pads how about the Therm-a-Rest NeoAir Xtherm Sleeping Pad or the big agnes q core sleeping pad?

6’4” here and I sleep well on whatever size the largest xtherm is. Look for the widest pad, length is secondary. For a long time I slept on a 3/4 length pad and put my pack or unused clothing under my feet.

A quilt will definitely sleep more comfortably than a bag, if you can find one in budget. A mummy bag really restricts movement of long limbs, and it can be difficult to get adequate air flow around things if you’re sleeping a little hot, but not so hot that you need to fully unzip.

I’m not current enough on gear to make specific recommendations, but good luck finding gear that works for you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
GiantGreg

GiantGreg

Lil-Rokslider
Is 600 even enough for this or am i being unrealistic?

Last edited:

tdot

WKR
Is 600 even enough for this or am i being unrealistic?

I'd say it's borderline. If you happen to find some used gear or some great deals, you can make it work. But with your size requirements, it severely cuts down on your options. Staying away from floorless also limits your options.

If you could figure out how to make a floorless and a quilt both work, then you might have a better chance. I've read on here of guys using floorless successfully in Arizone, New Mexico, etc., maybe more research into that could make it a possibility for you. Finding an older large 3 or 4 person tent might help you in the price department, but it will be heavy.

OP
GiantGreg

GiantGreg

Lil-Rokslider
after looking I think I'm gonna have to up the budget . I really don't like the idea of floorless. Its just beyond my knowledge and comfort zone right now. but room seems to be an issue. Price doesn't seem much different.
I think though I found a bag and pad maybe.
Kifaru body bag $310
Big Agnes insulated Q core delux. $ 240

so that's pretty much my original budget. but i don't have tent. I think still gonna have to spend another 2-300ish on a 2-3 man tent and just cattycorner by myself.

OP
GiantGreg

GiantGreg

Lil-Rokslider
So after lots of serrching I came across this, its BIG ENOUGH and you can get it with a nest
Luxe Hexpeak xl tipi

its within my budget. any review or opinions on Luxe tipis ?

Snyder54

FNG
I'm also 6'9" and it can be tough finding gear that fits properly. I ended up going with an Enlightened Equipment Convert. You can customize it how you like as far as fill, shell material, and of course length and width. I got mine in a 7' wide 10 deg and it has tons of room but is still pretty light. The Convert has a center zip so you can use it as a quilt or sleeping bag. I added their hood and it has kept me warm down into the 20s.

For a pad, I use a Thermarest Neoair all season long. With a Sea to Summit pillow, it long enough and very comfortable.

For a tent, I run a Kifaru Sawtooth most of the time but will also use an REI Quarterdome and a Big Agnes Copper Spur. The BA is a little snug but works and is light. If I were going to buy now, I would look at the Stone Glacier Skyscraper or the Slingfin Crossbow 2. They are basically the same tent and roomy at 92" long.

Good luck!

OP
GiantGreg

GiantGreg

Lil-Rokslider
Yep lots of information on luxe i highly recommend you do some research

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk
I did a few searches. For most part seems like people like them. Few had some issues. obviously its not Kifaru or Seek outside but its 1/2 to 1/3 price.
Yes I would like cimmaron or sawtooth, but that's not in my budget. I don't plant to use it in snow storms. or even a stove.
maybe one day I could get one but I need a good tent to last me a few years. until I could get something like that.

What is your opinion since your a moderator and you've seen a lot more comments on here?

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
I did a few searches. For most part seems like people like them. Few had some issues. obviously its not Kifaru or Seek outside but its 1/2 to 1/3 price.
Yes I would like cimmaron or sawtooth, but that's not in my budget. I don't plant to use it in snow storms. or even a stove.
maybe one day I could get one but I need a good tent to last me a few years. until I could get something like that.

What is your opinion since your a moderator and you've seen a lot more comments on here?
I've only read the same threads as you found while researching. Seems the current situation makes Luxe a gamble-- if the product is as described maybe it's simply money saved using as you described above but if there's a product defect seems very unlikely for timely resolution.

I know that even with the best companies there's always a chance that a mistake can get pass quality control. It's how those instances are addressed that defines the reputation of that company.
I saw in that Luxe thread Robby reached out to them and they didn't bother to respond to the growing concern over thier quality control or how thier customer service was addressing those problems. That's a red flag for sure. Even in good weather a shelter can ruin a trip. I only get a precious few trips a year so it's not something I'm personally willing to gamble on.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk