tall guys and tents

steveptr

FNG
I stand 6foot 5 trying to figure out my first backpack tent. What are you other tall guys using. What's a decent cost effective tent let's say a budget of around 300ish. Hunt Washington state only right now

EastMT

WKR
I am 6’5” as well, I bought a Mountain Hardware ghost ul3 last year. It withstood some 40-50 mph winds goat hunting the Kenai and weighs about 3lbs. It is not as strong as my Hillebergs, not ideal for heavy snow, but lots of room and fairly solid. Price can be found in that neighborhood.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FatBuddah

WKR
I just purchased a Fly Creek 2 for pack in hunts. Weight seems very good for size (2lb 5oz) but have only set up indoors. Im 6'3 on the fat side of #230 and it looks like theres ample sleep / gear room.

I stand 6foot 5 trying to figure out my first backpack tent. What are you other tall guys using. What's a decent cost effective tent let's say a budget of around 300ish. Hunt Washington state only right now

Lightheart - SoLong 6. You won’t find a lighter tent built for tall people unless you go with floor-less shelter.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I've got a brand new Big Agnes Copper Spur UL3 Classic tent I'll sell for $300, it's $450 retail. I use their old CS UL3 and UL4, and I'm 6'6". Plenty of room for two, or work great solo as well.

Reburn

Mayhem Contributor
I really like my gossamer gear "the one". im 6'7" 250lbs so i feel your pain. Its 45" so i can actually sit up in it. As with everthing in life hunting and camping gear i wish it was 3" longer. The 36" tents are too short for me. Uses trekking poles to setup. Weighs 30 ounces with 14 stakes and polycro ground sheet packed and ready. Alpine style tent fully enclosed bug mesh single wall with tub. No snow load to speak of. 6 stakes to setup + 4 if you stake the tub + 4 if you need to stake the additional 4 high wind tie outs. Im using the msr carbon core stakes 12 (2 extra) and 2 fatty titanium V stakes for the pole support. Not a free standing tent. Did ok with wind gusts at 40mph. RIght at $300 with their titanium v stakes which are actually pretty good. I only replaced them because I tinker. If i needed stakes again i would by the ruta loctuna as they are a much better price. I feel the tub is borderline too thin. I feel a ground sheet is a must for this tent for the durability of the tub. Single wall is a pain for the condensation but i just carry a light load camp towel and wipe it down. The double wall tents are way to warm for me in the south here.

Traptent and a few others have similar tents.

YMMV as you didnt really specify time of year and snow load.

Last edited:

BigMac

FNG
Buy the Copper Spur UL3 from 5milesback, thats a great deal. I run the Copper Spur HV UL3, I'm 6'4" and have plenty of room. Great tent for 2 people or solo.

Beendare

WKR
Call Tarptent....they have some models for tall guys that might work for you. I'm 6'4" and my Tarptent is plenty long.....and its made in USA...not that cheap Chinese junk.
Hilleberg is good stuff too.

WKR
Mountainsmith LT fits 2 6'7'guys. Floorless, light, cheap. Hilleberg Keron does as well but out of your suggested price range. Also a variety of the Kifaru tipis will fit tall guys great.

monday

FNG
Call Tarptent....they have some models for tall guys that might work for you. I'm 6'4" and my Tarptent is plenty long.....and its made in USA...not that cheap Chinese junk.
Hilleberg is good stuff too.

I second this recommendation. I'm 6'6" and have had great luck with my tarptent.

Thess87

WKR
I have a BA rattlesnake ul3 I sleep diagonal in it and it does pretty well I like it and if my wife goes we can crunch together and get both of us in there. I’m 6’8”

I am 6’5” as well, I bought a Mountain Hardware ghost ul3 last year. It withstood some 40-50 mph winds goat hunting the Kenai and weighs about 3lbs. It is not as strong as my Hillebergs, not ideal for heavy snow, but lots of room and fairly solid. Price can be found in that neighborhood.

Do you end up touching the ends of the Hilleberg? I want one but am 6'8" and with a 7' bag assume I will get condensationed on. Is it wide enough to go corner to corner?

I second this recommendation. I'm 6'6" and have had great luck with my tarptent.
Another for TarpTent. The Moment is an excellent solo tent and I can sit up in mine. Many solo tents aren't tall enough to sit up in.

momentdw2019dimensions-1030x584.jpg

EastMT

WKR
Do you end up touching the ends of the Hilleberg? I want one but am 6'8" and with a 7' bag assume I will get condensationed on. Is it wide enough to go corner to corner?

I think you could lay down in this one straight, it ventilated well and had no issues in the alpine with moisture. It is definitely not as strong as Hilleberg but survived 5 days of 20-50mph winds with no damage. At 6’5” using a huge sleeping bag, had room for my rifle above my head.

Tarptent's Stratospire2 is the tallest and quite spacious inside for us big guys. Affordable and lightweight.