Tall hunting boots for post ankle surgery.

Lowg08

WKR
So long story short. I broke my leg in three places and dislocated an ankle at the same time. Sooooooo. I’ll have screws and pins afterwards permanently. So I want a boot that is tall with ankle padding. Non insulated. Doesn’t have to be a hunting brand

ikeG

FNG
The ankle support system in crispi hunter gtxs are a life saver for me. 12" boot. I have 2 pair, 1 6 yr old pair for PA hunting and logging. 1 fresher pair for elk hunting. Im scared to try anything else, these have worked that well for me

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk

OP
Lowg08

Lowg08

WKR
The ankle support system in crispi hunter gtxs are a life saver for me. 12" boot. I have 2 pair, 1 6 yr old pair for PA hunting and logging. 1 fresher pair for elk hunting. Im scared to try anything else, these have worked that well for me

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk
I’ve measured the top of my lowa renegades gtx that I had up for sale but decided to keep now after pre-op the screws and plate will partially be above and was fair warned it could hurt if I banged something against it.

The_Yetti

Lil-Rokslider
I had a double tib fib and destroyed my ankle. I messed around with a variety of boots, and have been using Zamberlan 980's. I had to go to a taller boot because lower boots weren't supportive enough and mid level boots rubbed right on my screws which will drive you crazy! If the boot covers the screw seems to be fine for me, but the top hitting the screws drove me crazy. Having them protected by the boot seems the best.

OP
Lowg08

Lowg08

WKR
I had a double tib fib and destroyed my ankle. I messed around with a variety of boots, and have been using Zamberlan 980's. I had to go to a taller boot because lower boots weren't supportive enough and mid level boots rubbed right on my screws which will drive you crazy! If the boot covers the screw seems to be fine for me, but the top hitting the screws drove me crazy. Having them protected by the boot seems the best.
This is exactly what I was worried about. I already started looking.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
The recommendation for the tall crispis is good, I got a trimalleolar fracture in my ankle and appreciate a stiff boot. I got the crispi guide but I should have gotten the hunter. It’s taller and stiffer. I find that in addition to the height, I also like a stiff boot that hat sort of limits the flex of the ankle.

OP
Lowg08

Lowg08

WKR
The recommendation for the tall crispis is good, I got a trimalleolar fracture in my ankle and appreciate a stiff boot. I got the crispi guide but I should have gotten the hunter. It’s taller and stiffer. I find that in addition to the height, I also like a stiff boot that hat sort of limits the flex of the ankle.
I’m going to have to do something. Messed it up good. Plum blue into the toes

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
I’m going to have to do something. Messed it up good. Plum blue into the toes

They told me I could get the metal out if I wanted but it’s another surgery to recover from so I’ve never even looked into it. I also sent you a PM.

OP
Lowg08

Lowg08

WKR
They told me I could get the metal out if I wanted but it’s another surgery to recover from so I’ve never even looked into it. I also sent you a PM.
Answered back. I was told the only way I’d get it out is if it started causing me issues. Otherwise it’s there

rm06

WKR
They told me I could get the metal out if I wanted but it’s another surgery to recover from so I’ve never even looked into it.

Titanium is used not only for it's weight to strength ratio but also because it bonds so well with human bone. I'd love to have mine removed (spiral fib frac/displaced tib), not going thru that again if I can avoid it.

I can't stand to have anything touching it now. I have a pair of Columbia 5" boots that seems ok so far, please don't tell anyone on Rokslide

Last edited:

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I had an ankle reconstruction back in '89. It took years for the pain sensitivity to diminish from wearing boots over it after that. And in all reality, it's still there........it just depends on the boot on how bad it is. Some boots are a non-starter from the time you put them on. So test them out well before committing to them. My biggest problem is with real stiff boots that don't give much around the ankle.

I also have an old shin injury that gets real painful with 10" boots, because right at the 10" mark is where it's the most painful. Anything 8+ gets painful. 7" boots are fine though.

OP
Lowg08

Lowg08

WKR
I had an ankle reconstruction back in '89. It took years for the pain sensitivity to diminish from wearing boots over it after that. And in all reality, it's still there........it just depends on the boot on how bad it is. Some boots are a non-starter from the time you put them on. So test them out well before committing to them. My biggest problem is with real stiff boots that don't give much around the ankle.

I also have an old shin injury that gets real painful with 10" boots, because right at the 10" mark is where it's the most painful. Anything 8+ gets painful. 7" boots are fine though.
I was going over the surgery site with the doc about the incision area. The Lowa renegade will hit right at the top screws and plate right in between the screws. In my mind. I need a taller boot but I’m not sure. The other end will be down in the boot. I’m just trying to get it figured out before September

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
A lot of places have free shipping with free returns for a period of time. I would recommend trying some, and just wear them around "inside" the house for several days and see how they feel. If they're killing you just inside the house, you don't want them for active hunting.

OP
Lowg08

Lowg08

WKR
A lot of places have free shipping with free returns for a period of time. I would recommend trying some, and just wear them around "inside" the house for several days and see how they feel. If they're killing you just inside the house, you don't want them for active hunting.
Thanks. I’ve considered both ends of the spectrum. Even to the point of continuing with the trail runners a ortho prescribed brace and I’ve found some padded trail gaiters. So I don’t know

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
Knock on wood, I’ve never had an issue with. Lots pressing on the metal in my ankle. I will say though that when I get my wife to massage the ankle, my toes and whole foot gets itchy probably from nerves around the metal.

aaronoto

Lil-Rokslider
Check out the Kenetrek orthopedic boot. I've not used, but I haven't come across anyone else making something like this.

OP
Lowg08

Lowg08

WKR
Check out the Kenetrek orthopedic boot. I've not used, but I haven't come across anyone else making something like this.

I found these. But wow I’m telling you. 700 bucks. Is a bit steep