Tall puffy

GiantGreg

Lil-Rokslider
I'm in the market for a tall (6'9")puffy. Synthetic.
Sitka is only top hunting brand ones i found that offera then in tall. I was looking atbthe active and more so the kelvin lite.
But i readon here some taller people weree using kuiu or first lite but seemed like they were just getting the one wity the longest sleeves be my guess. Which xxl/xxxxl.
How is the body length on them?
I seen beyond clothing has some but if I'm reading the stats right its a lighter thajn the kelvin active. Ll bean makes one with gold insulation for $200 ish. I cant find a pacakable one that eddie bauer makes that's sytheic.
fl uncompahgre seems closet to what i want. But i worry body be to short?

Any actual.tall guys out there with experience in good puffy
Also what about a soft shell to go over it for wind / light rain?

Sent from my SM-J327VPP using Tapatalk

You can rule out Kryptek. The 3xl's fit more like a 2xl tall. I'm 6'3" , with 37" sleeves and a 52" chest. The 3xl fits like it was made for me but is the smallest 3xl I have ever had. Awesome clothes just sized small. I usually wear a 2xl tall. I have the Ghar puffy, Bora soft shell and Arma hoody.

Last edited:

Decker9

WKR
With Sitka, I just went through a catch and release on a kelvin down hoody in a large (Non WS). I wear large in every kind of piece I own, but that kelvin, I was drowning in it, the fit was to the point where even a medium might have been big on me. For comparison, I use a large kuiu SD that fits perfect, even a tad snug in the armpits. I’m 6’, and the large KDH came down to the bottom of my butt, where the kuiu SD goes just below my waist.

On that note, sitka may be worth a look for you, I’m not sure how their lite models fit, but the KDH, fit very very large, and long.

204guy

WKR
How tall are you though?

I'm 6' with a longer torso and I wish my large lpp was longer a lot longer. I'd recommend looking at nunatek gear. The wait time is long but he'll custom add length to the torso for you. I'll be selling my lpp and ordering 1 someday.

I'm 6'4" with 52 chest and long arms. Eddie Bauer and Columbia have them just not in camo.
Columbia Voodoo Falls 590 Turbo down 2XLT chest 50 - 53, sleeve listed at 39" . They also have a 3XLT and 4XLT.

I wear my camo rain gear over it when needed, wish they had pine or OD Green or even a flat brown

OP
GiantGreg

GiantGreg

Lil-Rokslider
Any one that's actually 6'5" or taller that has expierience with these high end sythentic puffys?

OP
GiantGreg

GiantGreg

Lil-Rokslider
I'm 6'4" with 52 chest and long arms. Eddie Bauer and Columbia have them just not in camo.
Columbia Voodoo Falls 590 Turbo down 2XLT chest 50 - 53, sleeve listed at 39" . They also have a 3XLT and 4XLT.

I wear my camo rain gear over it when needed, wish they had pine or OD Green or even a flat brown
Which eddie bauer jacket is that. Is it synthetic?
I likehave a few of their fleece and i likee m but i bought one if their down jackets ones and alot if the down and stiching came out in the first week . Not hunting, just out and about. I returned it.

Which eddie bauer jacket is that. Is it synthetic?
I likehave a few of their fleece and i likee m but i bought one if their down jackets ones and alot if the down and stiching came out in the first week . Not hunting, just out and about. I returned it.

I didn't list a specific Eddie Bauer item only the Columbia. I own 4 Columbia jackets and the Tall option is the reason I keep going back. The oldest is a fleece jacket that I've had for 6 - 8 years and it does need to hit the trash bin.

Back to what I listed - it has Turbo Down - a mix of goose feathers and Columbia's synthetic Omni-Heat insulation fill.
Voodoo Falls from Columbia

i am 6'6 and my ideal t-shirt size would probably be XLT. I have had good luck with First Lite. Their shirts have always fit well and the Catalyst in XXL was good. Could have used maybe 1" of extra torso length but it worked.

Eddie Bauer has a good tall selection. I wore the 650 down hooded jacket and that had plenty of length. Right now i am using the Evertherm and i love it.

OP
GiantGreg

GiantGreg

Lil-Rokslider
i am 6'6 and my ideal t-shirt size would probably be XLT. I have had good luck with First Lite. Their shirts have always fit well and the Catalyst in XXL was good. Could have used maybe 1" of extra torso length but it worked.

Eddie Bauer has a good tall selection. I wore the 650 down hooded jacket and that had plenty of length. Right now i am using the Evertherm and i love it.
I seen the evertherm looked interesting. And it has a long er body for vs regular tall.
Is it packable?
I wasnt very interested in down though

I seen the evertherm looked interesting. And it has a long er body for vs regular tall.
Is it packable?
I wasnt very interested in down though

You can read in more detail about it online but it's not traditional down. It's a thin layer of insulated material made out of down. Not sure if it's a marketing gimmick but it is definitely warm for how I used it, which was a cold weather active hunt, or for camp to just throw it on when you get chilled (temps +/- 30s).

I could fit this jacket and a first lite klamath into one of the lid pockets on a mystery ranch lid, so quite packable.

OP
GiantGreg

GiantGreg

Lil-Rokslider
You can read in more detail about it online but it's not traditional down. It's a thin layer of insulated material made out of down. Not sure if it's a marketing gimmick but it is definitely warm for how I used it, which was a cold weather active hunt, or for camp to just throw it on when you get chilled (temps +/- 30s).

I could fit this jacket and a first lite klamath into one of the lid pockets on a mystery ranch lid, so quite packable.
Is it noisey,?
Would you want a soft shell for wind , light rain ,and brush?

Is it noisey,?
Would you want a soft shell for wind , light rain ,and brush?

I wouldn't go anywhere near brush with it. The fabric is not durable (edit: it's no more or less durable than any average puffy. Just not something I'd bust brush in), feels more like an expensive lightweight sleeping bag material. I wore this under my rain jacket which is just a simple waterproof shell jacket. I was cooking with those two and my base layers. I could see a softshell performing similarly. I will say though that the jacket is surprisingly good and blocking the wind. Because it's not traditional down there are no seams which according to EB is the value proposition, because seams are where most heat loss occurs

OP
GiantGreg

GiantGreg

Lil-Rokslider
I like everything about the eddie everdown but i was was really wanting sythnetic.
If i cant find a good synthetic i might get that though

OP
GiantGreg

GiantGreg

Lil-Rokslider
I would definitely spring for the hooded version too
How does it do in wind?
Have you had any issues with moisture humidity, rain, sweat. Causing the down to lose its loft?

Latest posts

Featured Video

Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
0utle