Tall, thin, minimalist (i.e. cheapskate)

AJB88

FNG
Hi guys, new to this forum and forums in general. Tend to be a lurker. I'm looking to do some mid/late season backpack hunting and, having grown up in the Mediterranean climate of flat-as-a-tac Perth, Australia, I dont know anything about it. I have experience living out of a backpack and know the benefit of going light. Is there any gear to fit taller thinner people where i can avoid carrying a million layers, whilst also avoiding search parties finding my frozen body on some mountainside?

What is your end use? You say mid/late season hunting, but where? Temp, precip, style of hunting, etc.

OP
A

AJB88

FNG
What is your end use? You say mid/late season hunting, but where? Temp, precip, style of hunting, etc.
Hi, Tahr hunting in New Zealand, I think in March, but possibly a bit later/colder. Pretty rough terrain, plenty of chance for rain and sudden weather. I would be going with experienced hunters, however, i have no experience personally of alpine hunting. It would be a helicopter in, set up a base camp, take a fly camp along too just in case we got stuck.
Any thoughts appreciated

Layers are your friend and the key to not carrying a bunch of them is carrying the right ones. Layers like soft shells that try to be insulating while also cutting wind and being breathable end up being a master of none and heavy/bulky.

Look at the US military’s ECWCS as a good starting point for layering ideas for most temperate and cold climates. Read up on that and then you can know what you’re looking for and what you want to cut out of their system.

The system i’ve found to work is synthetic (poly or nylon) base layer, fleece layer, sometimes a heavy fleece layer, puffy (synthetic is cheaper), rain layer. This is good for 70F down to 30F depending on how heavy or light the fleece is, what your puffy is like, and what your activity is.

Your most expensive layers will be your puffy and your rain layer. Swazi is king in NZ and their stuff is great, but anything for hiking/trekking will do. Finding used gear is the name of the game for saving.

OP
A

AJB88

FNG
Layers are your friend and the key to not carrying a bunch of them is carrying the right ones. Layers like soft shells that try to be insulating while also cutting wind and being breathable end up being a master of none and heavy/bulky.

Look at the US military’s ECWCS as a good starting point for layering ideas for most temperate and cold climates. Read up on that and then you can know what you’re looking for and what you want to cut out of their system.

The system i’ve found to work is synthetic (poly or nylon) base layer, fleece layer, sometimes a heavy fleece layer, puffy (synthetic is cheaper), rain layer. This is good for 70F down to 30F depending on how heavy or light the fleece is, what your puffy is like, and what your activity is.

Your most expensive layers will be your puffy and your rain layer. Swazi is king in NZ and their stuff is great, but anything for hiking/trekking will do. Finding used gear is the name of the game for saving.
Great, thanks for that. I'll check it out
Any ideas for taller sizings? Dont want to be exposing my ankles and wrists to the cold if i can help it..

Some companies do talls or longs for their sizing, but i think a lot of that you’d have to buy new.

OP
A

AJB88

FNG
I
Some companies do talls or longs for their sizing, but i think a lot of that you’d have to buy new.
Think I'll go new for outer and down layers at least anyway tbh. Wpuld feel like buying a second hand abseiling rope.

Stone Glacier stuff runs fairly long as well as offering tall sizes for their outerwear. Sitka offers longer inseams on some of their pants.

Long insulation layers i’m not sure of, might have to upsize.