Talley Lightweight Ring Alternative?

Caleb777

FNG
Good morning everyone, I’m looking to throw a pair of ultralight rings on my CA Mesa. What other lightweight alternatives are there to the Talley rings? I’ve heard lately that the rings are not as good as they use to be. But I’m not totally buying that yet. Curious to see what other lightweight rings you guys are running?

Thanks!

OP
Caleb777

Caleb777

FNG
I’ll never be shooting beyond 500 yards. I’ve got a 30mm tube with lots of adjustment to get me out to 1000 with 0 moa. I had a 20 moa setup before and never came close to needing the extra elevation

sndmn11

WKR
I’ll never be shooting beyond 500 yards. I’ve got a 30mm tube with lots of adjustment to get me out to 1000 with 0 moa. I had a 20 moa setup before and never came close to needing the extra elevation

Does it have any negative effect? If the @HawkinsPrecision ring mounts are attractive in every way BUT you don't need them canted, that's like saying your wife is pretty, smart, and funny, but you don't NEED all three.

OP
Caleb777

Caleb777

FNG
Granted, it won’t be a lot, but it will place my objective closer to the barrel. I haven’t ran the math to figure out how much lower vs a 0 Moa ring. Maybe could be the difference between going from a medium to a low ring. I’m not sure. Just seems unnecessary to my situation. Maybe not a bad thing. But if there were 0 MOA options I’d certainly find it more attractive

SDHNTR

WKR
Granted, it won’t be a lot, but it will place my objective closer to the barrel. I haven’t ran the math to figure out how much lower vs a 0 Moa ring. Maybe could be the difference between going from a medium to a low ring. I’m not sure. Just seems unnecessary to my situation. Maybe not a bad thing. But if there were 0 MOA options I’d certainly find it more attractive
I agree with you. Unfortunately Hawkins doesn't agree with us. They did make a limited run of Rem 700 zero cant rings recently though, so maybe they are coming around. A Talley alternative for traditional hunting rifles not used for LR duty would be nice. Without the bubble level too, as that wouldn't be needed.

Bater

WKR
I believe they do have a limited number of 0 cant 700's, might be worth a call as I didn't see them listed on the site

edit: just saw the above post

Have used Talley Lightweight Rings on several Rifles. The rings were lapped. This set up has been on many hunts including Horse Back Hunts with the rifle in a scabbard. No Issues. After Hunts, I do recheck the Rifles at the range for zero. I have also used Warne Mountain Tech Rings with the Waren 2 pc Base and Picatinny Rail. I have not had these on a Horse Back Hunt but on Western Hunts and also No Issues.

I've been eyeballing the Leupold's as an alternative but haven't tried them. Anybody else?

Having said that, my wife has a set of Talley on her 308. She straight up football spiked her rifle on a boulder when she slipped crossing a creek. We unloaded that rifle and went back to camp midday and shot it, still perfectly zero'd. The scope did eventually develop a fog a few weeks later but the rings held fine. I don't know if these would be considered their newer or older quality rings but the setup is about 5 years or so old.

SDHNTR

WKR
Truth be told, while I too have heard the stories, I've never had a problem with Talleys either. I think the cracking issues come from receivers that aren't perfectly straight, and over torquing of the screws, perhaps also combined with heavy scopes on heavy recoiling rifles, all of which causes undue stress.

Lapped for concentricity, torqued properly, and not expected to do real heavy duty with a 34 oz scope on a .338 RUM and you'll likely never have a problem.

But I still wish Hawkins would expand the 0 MOA model line.

amassi

WKR
I've been eyeballing the Leupold's as an alternative but haven't tried them. Anybody else?
They are better in every regard save for the option to ring cap mount a bubble level but there is plenty of viable options

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

OP
Caleb777

Caleb777

FNG
They are better in every regard save for the option to ring cap mount a bubble level but there is plenty of viable options

Can you expound on “better in every regard”. What makes them superior to the talley rings?

amassi

WKR
Can you expound on “better in every regard”. What makes them superior to the talley rings?
Better aluminum, caps fit better, screws are better and they don't crack. Once you try a set you'll see.
Talley for whatever reason has really gone down hill in the qc dept

OP
Caleb777

Caleb777

FNG
Better aluminum, caps fit better, screws are better and they don't crack. Once you try a set you'll see.
Talley for whatever reason has really gone down hill in the qc dept

I definitely think they’re more aesthetically pleasing ..it’s too bad they don’t offer lower mounting options than medium.