Talley Lightweight Rings on Savage Short Action

JDZ

WKR
I'm considering Talley Lightweight rings on my Savage 16 Lightweight Hunter. Scope is a Leupold VX-3i 30 mm tube. Should I be getting the extended front ring? Extended front and back rings? The Talley website is very vague.

I had standard rings on my model 11 with vortex viper HS LR 4-16x44. I now have 1" talleys again standard with a leupold VX2 6-18x40 and no issues. If I remember correctly I am close to the spot where the tube begins to increase in diameter but they work as is. I wouldn't want the extended front to overhang the action port though.

Tod osier

WKR
Yes, do call. They suggested regular lows for a VX2 2-7 33 1" on my 16 LWH and I had to modify them to make work. They would have exchanged them, but I wasn't seeing anything that I wanted more. I ground the top of the rear foot off to give the power ring the ability to clear the foot. The extended would not obstruct the port in my experience, the regular base is quite far forward.

Last edited:
OP
J

JDZ

WKR
Thanks for the replies. I will have to call them. The low tons will give me a nice height, but I'm not sure about the power ring clearance to the mount. Also, not really sure about the objective bell clearing a front offset mount.

The DNZ Game Reaper looks super simple and good, but they don't make a low mount in 30 mm. And I'm not sure I want the bar across the ejection port.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have the dnz mounts on several guns. They are great mounts. They are all one single shot guns though. So I can't say how they are on bolt guns.