Talley or DNZ height for Leupold 36mm on Savage?

Grady.J

Lil-Rokslider
I've got a Savage model 11 lightweight hunter in 7mm-08 coming in, that I'll be mounting a Leupold VX3i 2-8x36mm on, but I'm not sure which rings to get.

Anyone know if I can get away with the Talley lightweights in extra-low with the 36mm scope? On second look, DNZ doesn't offer an extra-low height for the Savage, so I'd have to go with the low.

I've got lows on a Tikka with a 40mm swaro, so based on that I think the objective lens of the 36mm should clear with the extra low rings, but what about the bolt handle? Thanks!!

Tod osier

WKR
I've got a Savage model 11 lightweight hunter in 7mm-08 coming in, that I'll be mounting a Leupold VX3i 2-8x36mm on, but I'm not sure which rings to get.

Anyone know if I can get away with the Talley lightweights in extra-low with the 36mm scope? On second look, DNZ doesn't offer an extra-low height for the Savage, so I'd have to go with the low.

I've got lows on a Tikka with a 40mm swaro, so based on that I think the objective lens of the 36mm should clear with the extra low rings, but what about the bolt handle? Thanks!!

I have this exact gun and scope combo, so I'm pretty well versed here. Talley suggested 930725, but they don't work with a Leupold VX3i 2-8x36mm (or a 2-7x33) on a Savage 11 LWH without modifying them slightly. There is a clearance issue with the magnification adjustment. I don't know if they have a current solution, but they response time to questions is fast (even including holiday weekends).

I have a set that I modified that I will send you for the cost of shipping. The top of the "foot" of the rear base and the top of the head of one of the screws in the foot needed a tiny bit of of material removed. There is absolutely no modification of any of the mating surfaces, just cosmetic (and I'm good with a file). The rings are on the rifle now and are coming off next week. They were lapped to 75%. Let me know, I'd love to give them away rather than throw them away.

Last edited:
OP
G

Grady.J

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks so much for the offer, just sent you a message!

Just to clarify here in case anyone else was wondering, these are the low talleys that won't work without modifying? So I assume the extra lows aren't even an option.