Talley vs. Leupold steel bases/rings

I've been in the habit of putting Talley one piece ring/bases on all my rifles lately (I think they are 2.3 oz. for the pair). However, I will be scoping a Savage Lightweight Storm this week, and the rifle is already so light that I'm not concerned about a few more ounces in the scope mount. I have a set of Leupold 2-piece steel bases and medium rings (5.3 oz. total) for the rifle.

Is the extra 3 oz. of Leupold steel rings/bases going to gain me anything vs. the Talleys? I know some folks who believe the Leupold steel bases and rings are more durable because they are steel. If that's actually true, I'll use them. On this particular rifle, an extra 3 oz. might actually be welcome. At the very least, the 3 oz. doesn't concern me.

So which would you say are more durable over time, the Talleys, or the 2-piece steel Leupold set?

TxxAgg

WKR
How heavy is the scope? You don't want a lightweight rifle getting top heavy.

(I'm a Talley fan).

• Banned
OP
Newtosavage
How heavy is the scope? You don't want a lightweight rifle getting top heavy.

(I'm a Talley fan).
Scope is only 9.9 oz. (Leupold VX-1 2-7x33)

So, all in, the rifle, scope and Leupold steel mounts would be about 6 lbs. 9 oz. or about 6 lbs. 6 oz. with the Talleys - both are below my target weight for this rifle, so at this point the only consideration is durability.

The Talleys seem to be friendlier to most scope finishes and seem to hold up well. I’ve had many sets and they have all worked well with the exception of the airline baggage smashers cracking the top ring on one set, which Talley replaced at no cost (though I offered to pay for it). If I wanted to use Leupold rings, I’d definitely go the duel dovetail way over the adjustable, as that wind age screw is just something else to worry about, even though I loctite them. I really did love the Burris Signature rings in the duel dovetail mounts, but I don’t think they make low height rings any longer.

• Banned
OP
Newtosavage
The Talleys seem to be friendlier to most scope finishes and seem to hold up well. I’ve had many sets and they have all worked well with the exception of the airline baggage smashers cracking the top ring on one set, which Talley replaced at no cost (though I offered to pay for it). If I wanted to use Leupold rings, I’d definitely go the duel dovetail way over the adjustable, as that wind age screw is just something else to worry about, even though I loctite them. I really did love the Burris Signature rings in the duel dovetail mounts, but I don’t think they make low height rings any longer.

Yea, the dual dovetail mounts do seem like they would be more secure. The dual windage screws on the Leupold always felt like the weak point on that setup, but then I see them on a lot of rifles, and I can't say I've ever had an issue with them myself. Decisions, decisions.

TxxAgg

WKR
Scope is only 9.9 oz. (Leupold VX-1 2-7x33)

So, all in, the rifle, scope and Leupold steel mounts would be about 6 lbs. 9 oz. or about 6 lbs. 6 oz. with the Talleys - both are below my target weight for this rifle, so at this point the only consideration is durability.

On my last two guns, I used JB Weld between the action and Talley bases. Then I torqued accordingly and cleaned up what squeezed out.

I figure it doesn't get any more durable than that. A lot of guys will say I'm crazy, but a heat gun will remove them if I ever want to change.

• Banned
OP
Newtosavage
Yea, looking at the Talley one-piece set I have right now, I'm really not sure what could go wrong with them. I know the Leupolds are time-tested, and they are steel, but I've never heard of anyone ever having a problem with Talleys. Has anyone here?

sneaky

"DADDY"
I tell you another set that I've never had issues with, the one piece DNZ Game Reapers. Set it and forget it. I haven't even looked up what they weigh though.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

JDJHNTR

FNG
Talleys every time for me. I’ve switched over all my rifles. I even have a set on a GAP with a heavy Nightforce thats been dead on for the 8 years I’ve owned it. Not once have I had to rezero.