Tan and Mount a Snake skin

Wellsdw

Skin it. Pin it to card board scale side down. Coat with borax for a couple weeks. Then clean it off, brush with satin polyurethane, and mount to a plaque. I give the same one over and over again to my sister every Christmas and bday

Scottyboy

The only person I know dumb enough to mess around with that is @JordanAdams. She has made who knows what with the devils creature (Jordan you know I mean that kindly and I’d be giving you a hug saying the same thing 😃)

robtattoo

How do you guys kill a rattlesnake without jacking him up?
Firstly, get someone who has done it a BUNCH to show you how to handle venomous reptiles. Be competent enough to be absolutely confident in what you're doing.

You really need a set of handling tongs, a hook & head pinning device of some form. You need to transport the snake to an area with plenty of room to move & work, but basically, you need to pin it's head VERY securely, then remove it VERY quickly. To be safe, it's honestly a 2 man job if you're wanting a pristine skin. One to pin, one to cut. A razor sharp, long handled hoe is the ideal tool, along with a 6' long head pin. That way nobody had to get too close.
Once the head's off, walk away for 10 minutes & (pay attention....) LEAVE THE DAMN HEAD ALONE!

TSAMP

Firstly, get someone who has done it a BUNCH to show you how to handle venomous reptiles. Be competent enough to be absolutely confident in what you're doing.

You really need a set of handling tongs, a hook & head pinning device of some form. You need to transport the snake to an area with plenty of room to move & work, but basically, you need to pin it's head VERY securely, then remove it VERY quickly. To be safe, it's honestly a 2 man job if you're wanting a pristine skin. One to pin, one to cut. A razor sharp, long handled hoe is the ideal tool, along with a 6' long head pin. That way nobody had to get too close.
Once the head's off, walk away for 10 minutes & (pay attention....) LEAVE THE DAMN HEAD ALONE!
Killed two in idaho last week bear hunting. Used a spade and an axe. Can attest to the head still biting after it was detached. Good advice.

Danomite

How do you guys kill a rattlesnake without jacking him up?
I’m in a place where discharging a firearm is a no-no. I’ve been using a pellet gun to shoot them in the head, which incapacitates them enough that I can then chop the head off with an ax or shovel. I killed this one a couple days ago and my buddy is tanning the skin. I have no interest in messing with one. He’s using some mixture of alcohol and glycerine.

Growing up we would relocate bull snakes that were too aggressive around the house with a piece of bailing wire forming a loop through a 6’ piece of pvc. That would work for a rattlesnake too and you could just cut the head off or suffocate it.

Attachments

• 2E197410-281D-4265-A485-FB000A5D9053.jpeg
    2E197410-281D-4265-A485-FB000A5D9053.jpeg
    809.3 KB · Views: 18

Felix40

That seems like a lot of trouble. A .22 or shovel/ax has always worked for me. The last one I did was still trying to bite me with its neck stump as I skinned it 3 hours later.

The borax drying method is all I’ve ever done with them.