Tanget Theta 3-15x50mm Scope Evaluation

Very interesting read. Thanks for this review Form! This was a little surprising honestly. While I understand it was a sample size of 1, I still would have expected better.

pyrotechnic

Lil-Rokslider
So the thread made me curious to see if I would have any issues with my TT 3-15H
Rifle: GAP7000, 22" proof, chambered in .30-06 by RWS
Ammo: Factory 175gr terminal ascent.

1). 10 shot fired 2 at a time coming off the gun in between pairs.
2). 10 shots fired 2 at a time coming off the gun between pairs. Spinning the turret up to max elevation (11.6 mils from my zero) twice between pairs.
3). 10 shots fired 2 at a time. Rifle dropped from chest high onto my pack between pairs. Rifle landing on optic.
4). 8 shots fired one at time, coming off the gun between shots. After making a 0.1 mil right zero correction

Each group, has a shot that was fucky with regards to my recoil management and coincide with the "flyer" in said group. All are pretty typical for what my 10 shot groups look like with this rifle. With me being pretty pleased with #1.
20211204_111812.jpg
"Testing" setup.
20211204_120600.jpg

My complaints with the scope.
1. Cant read the numbers with the turret "locked"
2. I would prefer a tactile "plunger" rev indicator vs the visual one that you cannot see from behind the gun
3. I wish they had incorporated a floating dot in the reticle.
4. Since I'm wishing, 8oz lighter would be nice as well.

Last edited:
OP
Formidilosus

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Yep, probably didn't phrase the question well ... was trying to ask something along the lines of: if the ZP5 was reliable, is the main reason you'd choose it the THLR reticle?

I get that the reticle doesn't change the other features - I was wondering how much weight you'd put on that reticle compared to the FOV, DOF, eyebox, and eye relief / the rest of the 'whole package' combined.

Well, for hunting the only reason I might would use the ZP5 is due the reticle. No matter how good the scope is I do not need or want a 17 inch long, 35oz scope. This reticle in a 9x, 12x, 15x or similar max magnification scope would be phenomenal. So it is the reticle that makes it attractive to me. Having said that, the scope as a package is pleasurable to use and look through. But, for the cost, I would choose others scopes even for dedicated LR use way before the ZP5… now if you want the THLR reticle, well….

OP
Formidilosus

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
3). 10 shots fired 2 at a time. Rifle dropped from chest high onto my pack between pairs. Rifle landing on optic.

Appreciate you doing that.

I will say, dropping on the pack (soft item) won’t show the issue as quickly. It’s good to give one a warm and fuzzy on a known optic, but not enough to have confidence that it won’t have issues. But again, thank you.

p3t3rsn

FNG
An original Weaver K4 or K6, old B&L, etc. can survive and continue to work in situations where no top end Leupold, Zeiss, Swaro, or Vortex hunting scope can.
Form, pardon the off topic question. Are the K4 or K6 were/are more reliable than Leupold M8 series?

freddyG

WKR
I say this, because somehow I either get every single garbage scope that almost every manufacture makes, or people really don’t use their stuff hard.
It’s not you, it’s just that most people don’t shoot much, and most broken scopes will still kill at the distance most people hunt, so they have no idea it’s failed. Even if the scope loses zero to the point it causes a miss, they just make excuses and blame something else.

Denial is a very powerful emotion. Some of the posts in this thread clearly demonstrate that.

freddyG

WKR
Okay, back to the TT. I’m interested in what they’ll say. SH is awfully defensive of TT and act like nothing could destroy one and one of the vendors will say it’s the shooter but obviously it’s not.
SH(or any other website that censors info)is not a good indicator of what works an what doesn’t. It’s all about the $$$, or free product.

Those are not tests. What I’m doing is not a “test” in the scientific sense. “Heavy use” isn’t sitting in a bench, nor is it a PRS match- that would be like saying golf carts get “heavy use” from golf courses.

It’s a $4k scope. Other than tracking, not one of those things you stated have anything to do with an aiming device. How is their zero retention through impacts? Consistent vibration from vehicles on washboard roads?

An aiming device for field use must do these things in order-

1) Maintain zero regardless of use.

2). Adjust consistently

3. Return to zero exactly.

4). Adjust correctly.

Everything else are “likes” and “wants” they are not required for an aiming device. CA does not stop me from killing an animal, nor does DOF, nor does IQ… But loss of zero does.

That is 100% false. “They are all good” is what is said by people who only look through them, not use them hard. There are lots, and lots of $3000 aiming devices that lose zero from even minor field use.
i completely agree... heavy use means different things to different people, and heavy use changes in context. hunting is the most punishing for reasons you mentioned, especially getting beat up on a utv/atv rack, or in a pickup bouncing around crappy roads.

i will never have the need or desire to own a 4k$ scope, but i still enjoy the abuse reports

Neither do I - you don't need it to view the links.

No. Came back to the thread and 4 out of my 5 posts were gone. Refreshed. Left and came back. Gone. Everything before the video links were there and my through-the-scope post was there. If my last through-the-scope post had been removed I would've assumed the forum had a glitch. But selective removal is strange, that's all I'm saying.

I went ahead and reposted the videos, and that's why they are now AFTER the through-the-scope post. Nothing ground breaking in those videos either. Tangent just openly shows how they actually test their optics (mechanical drop test, mechanical "whip" test, pressure test, cold room testing at -50C, etc.).

Attachments

• tinfoil hat.jpg
    tinfoil hat.jpg
    29.6 KB · Views: 41
It’s not you, it’s just that most people don’t shoot much, and most broken scopes will still kill at the distance most people hunt, so they have no idea it’s failed.
That's spot on for the way most of us hunt east of the MS river. We simply don't subject our guns to the rigors that mountain hunters do. Maybe an occasional rough ride on a 4 wheeler or a bump as it's being hoisted into the tree stand.

p3t3rsn

FNG
The Optics section no matter which Forum one goes to on the Internet is a funny place! Lots of arguments, passive-aggressiveness, and plane 'ol butt hurt when one's favorite is disparaged.

Take everything with a grain of salt.

Ultimately, it's your money gentleman. You owe no one an explanation. Buy and use whatever optic you want. You have no one to please but yourself.

BjornF16

WKR
Suitable for general hunting and dialing, SWFA fixed 6 and 10x, 3-9x, 3-15x is decent, NF SHV and used NXS. If not dialing, the S&B Klassiks do well.
Form, what is the issue with dialing on the Klassiks?

Also, what is the logic behind FFP duplex reticle I saw offered on the Klassiks?