Tanning

Hey all. Just wanted to check in and see if anyone had any advice. This year I tried my hand at tanning deer hide for the first time and it was an absolute flop. Both hides I did wound up rotting on me. I was wondering what process or advice anyone else has in order to have success so I can adjust and try again next season. Thanks

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

ScottRK

Lil-Rokslider
I think all I did was scrape it really clean and then salted it letting it drain on angle. Then stretched it out good on the plywood.
I didn’t soften the leather. Just checked it in the barn and the hair doesn’t pull. About 10 yrs old.
Was going to make a vest for my boy when he was 4 . Told him a couple wks ago and he just shook his head.

WKR
Some good taxidermy websites out there. I am going to try my hand at this as well and getting some good advice on those. I'd do a search on those as well as check out some youtube stuff on tanning. Lot of it out there.

Greenbar

FNG
True bond makes a tanning kit for about $40 that’ll do a deer or a couple coyotes or more smaller critters. Haven’t used it myself yet, but it seems to get good remarks. Not endorsing it. Just sharing what I’ve read.

Dinny

FNG
Leo at Z&L Tannery does good work the old fashioned way and sends an invoice for payment in the box when the hides are finished.

Thanks, Dinny

Rich M

WKR
I gave a buddy's daughter about 6 deer skins - she did a great job on the one that I saw. Not sure what they were using to tan it, but 2 young girls fleshed it, stretched it, etc.

I don't have the patience or desire. Around here it is cheaper to just buy tanned leather as opposed to sending it out or having someone send it out for you.

RMBHS

FNG
There's an orange bottle of tanning liquid. I scraped, stretched, and dried it, then put the tanning solution on it and tried to break it as much as I could. It isn't super soft, but works well as a chair drape.

If you want something soft I recommend Lutan. Just go to Van Dykes and follow the instructions., but it's a bit of process. But if you just want a wall hanger then there are much simpler products that just wipe on after salting.

Never done a deer but I’ve done a couple beavers and muskrats. I used the trapper and deer hunters hide tanning formula. Orange bottle I think one bottle does one deer. It tans they’ve lasted a few years but it’s a ton of work to break them.
Hey all. Just wanted to check in and see if anyone had any advice. This year I tried my hand at tanning deer hide for the first time and it was an absolute flop. Both hides I did wound up rotting on me. I was wondering what process or advice anyone else has in order to have success so I can adjust and try again next season. Thanks

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

Randall

FNG
Deerskins Into Buckskins 2nd Edition by Matt Richards

This book is my bible for brain (or egg) tanning deer skins. Worth every penny. I've never come across a resource that is as in depth from start to finish. It tells you just enough of the science of what is happening without detracting from the step by step process. Ive tanned a ton of hides using Matts method. Buttery soft buckskin goodness.

What did you do to the ones that rotted on you?

Here's a super quick overview of what I do:

-Flesh
-Soak hide in bucking solution (woodash & water) until swollen and tawny
-Grain
-Membrane
-Rinse/Acidify
-Dry
-Brain
-Wring
-Soften
-Smoke

WCB

WKR
I think all I did was scrape it really clean and then salted it letting it drain on angle. Then stretched it out good on the plywood.
I didn’t soften the leather. Just checked it in the barn and the hair doesn’t pull. About 10 yrs old.
Was going to make a vest for my boy when he was 4 . Told him a couple wks ago and he just shook his head.
Thats not tanning that is salting....