Tape for hot spots or blisters

Hey guys I am putting together my kit for blisters or hot spots for next year and I am wondering what kind of tape you guys use for hot spots or blisters. Quite frankly in the past I have tried without success duct tape, mole skin, athletic tape and most recently kenisio tape from zombie runner. I have even tried the gorilla type duct tape. Everything I have tried only stays on for a few hours at best. Now obviously I would prefer not to get any hot spots or blisters bit I also want to have some good tape in my pack if I have foot problems.

shaun

WKR
Duct tape...I make sure my foot is dry before putting it on and it held great on my heels this year

Chuffness

FNG
Mole skin + athletic tape works for me... Never tried duct.. Might need to try it this year.

tstowater

WKR
I just put duct tape before I start. Simplier that way. I know where I could develop hot spots and just wrap the whole area. Don't know if I will have a problem, but based on past experience, easier to avoid than to try and deal with. I use different boots and socks now and this is just insurance. I historically end up with problems when I do a lot of sidehilling unless I tape up. Haven't had a problem since starting to use the tape before putting on socks. If my feet stay dry (which is usually not problem), tape will stay on for days. Probably a wimp and my feet are not tough enough. Hard to train for the sidehills on flat land.

Becca

Super Moderator
Staff member
I personally carry both moleskin and plastic medical tape in our first aid kit, along with bandaids and other assorted medical supplies. The very best way to care for blisters is to prevent them in the first place. Stop as soon as you feel a hotspot starting to form, and find a way to relieve the pressure before it turns into a blister!
Tape, bandaids, new socks, anything you can do to keep that from getting worse!

Tincture of benzoin (available at most pharmacies) applied to skin before you put the tape on will help it to stick, though I wouldn't recommend putting it on already broken skin. It makes a tacky adhesive on the skin, and helps medical tape or moleskin stick better (we use it to secure all kinds of medical devices and bandages on people at the hospital, sometimes for weeks).

Never stick tape or any other adhesive directly to broken skin! Always cover the open part with something so the adhesive doesn't stick....gauze pads, band aids, even a bit of toilet paper will work, you just don't want the adhesive ripping the skin further. Also don't discount putting the moleskin on your boot or outside of your sock instead of on your person.

One of our worst backpacking trips ever occurred when ill fitting boots left me with blisters the size of half dollars on the back of each foot. I had moleskin, but no first aid kit, so I applied moleskin directly to my blisters---BAD idea!! After the first creek crossing the moleskin came lose, and when I removed it to reapply, it tore what was left of the skin off the backs of my feet. We ended up canceling what was supposed to be a week long trip after the first night, bush whacking it 1/2 mile through class IV alders and floating back to the road. I cried most of the way, and could hardly walk for several days afterwards.

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
I've had very good luck with the bandaid blisterkits. At this first sign of a hot spot I stick one on. It will typically stay on for 2-4 days and if not resolved I throw on another one.

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
Did a couple 100 mile Road Marches in the Army. Nothing works as well as duct tape.

Gman

WKR
Tincture of benzoin (available at most pharmacies) applied to skin before you put the tape on will help it to stick, though I wouldn't recommend putting it on already broken skin. It makes a tacky adhesive on the skin, and helps medical tape or moleskin stick better (we use it to secure all kinds of medical devices and bandages on people at the hospital, sometimes for weeks).

This is the secret. I put the tincture on before any tape or moleskin and really anything will work if it stays on place. I prefer moleskin. I always carry some of these in my FAK for taping on the trail.

http://www.zombierunner.com/store/categories/foot_care/adhesives/product2108.html

OP
G
This is all good information. I carry a blister medic kit by adventure medical and duct tape. Last year I carried some Keniso gold tape, thought it was going to be good stuff. In Hells Canyon last year had one day where we did a 14 mile day chasing bears. That night about 3 miles from the ridge we were bivyed out on my feet kinda did a melt down. Like Becca said I should have stopped and rested a few, taken my boots off and aired my socks out a bit. But instead pressed on to camp knowing it was going to be real late by the time we got back. When I got back to camp I had all kinds of hot spots and blisters. Took me a couple of days before my feet felt any good after that. I ran out of duct tape, and Keniso tape. Used all the blister patches I had. Lesson learned I guess take more duct tape. I was hoping there was this magic tape out there that the runners use that will stay on. But as you guys are saying maybe I should just stick with duct tape.

Rocky

WKR
I use duct tape and mole skin. I usually take a preventative step and tape my heels before I put on my boots.

jmez

WKR
I use Gorilla tape. Put it on when skin is dry. I can hardly get the stuff off at the end of the day.

swat8888

WKR
Duct tape to prevent....after the fact I use the blister specific band aids covered with duct tape. They will stay on....I suffered through 3 nickel sized blisters for about 5 days last August. Would have been intolerable if I didn't have those blister nonstick things and an ample supply of duct tape. Next year I won't be as much of an ounce counting cheapass and bring a lot more duct tape on my trekking pole/lighter

swat8888

WKR
Actually I forgot, I actually used the blister band aid then moleskin with a cutout for the blister, then duct tape....worked well. Kept me hunting

I use leukotape, covered by a layer of vet wrap. I'm told it's similar to the kinesio tape, but stiffer/less elastic? I also read that k-tape holds better after it gets wet? What really stopped the blisters for me was changing my lace tying technique...

also read that k-tape holds better after it gets wet?

Unfortunately it does not.

I use duct tape, but am also a first believer that you should never get blisters in a properly fitted boot and sock/liner combo......but everyone's feet are different and some more blister prone than others.

Here's a hunting buddies feet after a few too many miles...not sure what type of tape it is, but it held and worked well:
file_zps0bf59fd8.jpg