Tape off brake in weather

SDHNTR

WKR
I’m one who wraps a layer of electrical tape over the muzzle during wet weather. How do you do this with a brake? Tape it up too?

nosman4

FNG
Yes, you can tape up the brake and it will not hurt accuracy. Will just blow it off when the shot is fired.

MThuntr

WKR
Yes tape over the brake. The tape practically vaporizes.

Also I tape barrel always...regardless of weather. It keeps random bits like pine needles out too.

slowelk

WKR
Finger cots work for smaller brakes, but if you have a brake that is bigger than about 0.80" they can be tough to put on. I haven't solved this, but have seen some pictures of people using balloons.

Finger cots work better than tape IMO.

My recommendation would be to use a Rapid Rifle Cover. It covers the muzzle and also the scope. It slips right off when you are ready for the shot or stalk. No tape needed.

And no, I am not a salesmen for that company. I just like the concept better than electrical tape and likely alteration of the bullet upon exit of the barrel.

OP
S

SDHNTR

WKR
Thanks. It’s just a barrel contour gill break. Funny, you never stop learning. I had no idea what a finger cot was until this thread. Had to look it up. Looks like a midget condom.

2five7

WKR
Finger cot? Is that the same as cutting fingers off a latex glove? That's what I do to all my braked guns, bigger breaks I use the thumb, cut it long and put some tape at the base if need be.

Bater

WKR
Tape over the brake works great, make for a confetti party after the shot too

PADave

FNG
Electrical tape works great
Been using it for many years for muzzles, and now brakes.
Keeps rain from freezing in bores and prevents other unwanted debris from creating a barrel obstruction

PADave

FNG
I've never tested accuracy beyond 200 yards, but no POI change w or w/o tape.

Marty

Lil-Rokslider
I've taped my muzzle with electrical tape. No issues; just like a conventional muzzle the tape will be removed prior to contact with the bullet and thus not affect accuracy.

I tape mine all the time. If you go to the 3 minute mark you can see how much crap got down in my muzzleloader barrel when I neglected to tape the brake back up. That brake is extra large and a worst case scenario but it shows what can happen. On a centerfire rifle I could have cleared all that debris by simply unloading the rifle, with a muzzleloader it takes a lot more effort so I'll always keep the brake covered from now on when in the field.

KG406

FNG
The last couple years I started using party balloons instead of tape. Not enough effect (if any) on POI for close rushed shots, and much easier to pull off than tape when setting up for a longer shot. Fit tight enough on all my rifles from the light contour steel barrels to the carbon wrapped, don't leave any tape residue, super cheap

Like others I tape as a matter of habit now on all hunts. Too easy to get something dropped down your barrel if you move a lot and cover some ground during a hunt.

There is an older thread here on it somewhere and I remember someone here or elsewhere linking to some study that showed the tape blew clear from gasses exiting the barrel or brake before the bullet emerged so there was no contact or accuracy impact.

Pro Tip - consider RE-taping your gun barrel (once unloaded and clear) after the shot. My buddy was excited and focused on his kill and buried his muzzle sometime during processing or pack out, without noticing. I saw the dirt in the barrel when I wiped the gun down, before it went in the case at the truck. It could have been a bad situation.