Target Backpack/Gear Weight?

Wrench77

WKR
I've been researching and buying new gear like crazy over the last couple of months and I think I've put together a pretty good list. My question is what is a good target weight for your pack and all your gear? For arguments sake let's say it's a 5 day hunt. Right now with all my gear I'll be wearing and everything in my pack including food for 5 days and 100 oz. of water I'm right at 65 pounds. So am I close to where I should be or do I need to try to trim more weight?

armyjoe

Super Moderator
Weight - it depends on the season your hunting, terrain, animal.

I go pretty light but not ultra light. I can do 5 days with water at around 42lbs. I have done this for years and know what I use and dont and have a bomb proof setup. Knowing what you use and what you think you might use is a huge deal. You will start to trim a bunch of weight if you keep track of that and scrap what isn't used every trip. Leaving it in the truck for that "what if" time is ok too. I do that for additional clothes, annex, etc...

Biggest places to trim weight usually are - pack, sleeping system, clothes. I usually see people with heavier loads carry more in these couple areas.

Last edited:

kaboku68

WKR
You are way heavy even if you are going solo. Dump the extra clothes. Dump dry sacks for clothes and use contractor bag. Dump the MH wrappers and have food bag.
You should be around 50lbs. When I am going out for 12 days solo the max will be about 58lbs with rifle and water.

Sincerely,
Thomas

Brock A

Super Moderator
Staff member
I was 50lb with rifle & water. Not counting what I was wearing. I feel like I was on the heavy side.

jherald

WKR
I like to keep my whole kit at 35-45 pounds depending on how long my stay is and how much food i'm going to need. I carry minimal water on hand and bring several empty bladders to fill later and keep at my camp.

Manosteel

WKR
Why don't you post a gear list and explain the "what, when and where" of your hunt. It will be easier to provide more specific advice that way. Loaded with gear, food, water, optics, and weapon, I am around 48-50lbs for 5-6 day trip, but it really depends on when and what I'm hunting, sheep little lighter, moose in October I will be heavier.

blb078

WKR
No such thing as a "target weight for all" what works for you might not work for someone else. Also I think it depends on if you are hunting from the same spike camp every day or bivy hunting moving camp all the time. If bivy hunting then you want to be lighter. But a spike camp since you're only hauling it in one time, setting up camp, then out then you can afford to have more weight/luxuries. Also depends on how far in you are going/type of terrain imo, carrying 65lbs 3 miles is going to be a lot easier than carrying 65lbs 10 miles. My weight for 7 days counting the socks and boots on my feet to the toothpicks I like to chew on is 65lbs, that includes just over 4lbs of luxury items, but I'll be spike camping and not moving it all around every day or other day so I don't mind being a little heavy or what some call heavy.

Last edited:
OP
Wrench77

Wrench77

WKR
This list is for my archery mule deer and elk hunt in Colorado. It will be in September at elevations between 8000-10000 ft.

Backpack list pic.jpg

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    96.8 KB · Views: 120

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
I feel that in most cases you should be able to stay under 50 lbs. I can't really see your list very well. It's hard to get those dang screen shots to come out good it seems.

I try to be under 40 lbs. for five days.

No such thing as a "target weight for all" what works for you might not work for someone else. Also I think it depends on if you are hunting from the same spike camp every day or bivy hunting moving camp all the time. If bivy hunting then you want to be lighter. But a spike camp since you're only hauling it in one time, setting up camp, then out then you can afford to have more weight/luxuries. Also depends on how far in you are going/type of terrain imo, carrying 65lbs 3 miles is going to be a lot easier than carrying 65lbs 10 miles. My weight for 7 days counting the socks and boots on my feet to the toothpicks I like to chew on is 65lbs, that includes just over 4lbs of luxury items, but I'll be spike camping and not moving it all around every day or other day so I don't mind being a little heavy or what some call heavy.

I'm not asking for a benchmark rule target weight for all. I'm asking what are peoples specific target weights for their setups.

blb078

WKR
I'm not asking for a benchmark rule target weight for all. I'm asking what are peoples specific target weights for their setups.

Was a post deleted or something, or am I not following? I wasn't replying to any question from you, which I don't even see. But to the OP he's asking if 65lbs is were he should be or should he be trimming, some people are going to say he needs to cut weight, but to me it really depends on what type/where he is hunting and how far he is going in, along w/how many luxuries he is taking. Some might say my 65lbs for 7 days is heavy but I have 4.5lbs of luxury items and a 7.5lb sleep system, to me it's what I want and that's not heavy.

OP
Wrench77

Wrench77

WKR
Blb078, I'm confused also I was wondering how my question suddenly turned into someone else's question. Anyways perhaps we're both missing something. Thanks for the reply though I too have some luxury items that I know I can cut if necessary, just trying to get a feel for what others are doing.

Last edited:

Bearen09

FNG
X2 I think that is a good weight to take..If I go in at 60-70 for ten days my legs don't like it much .It depends on the amount of walking a guy will do. On average we were doing 18-22klm a day..

wrench I do not think you list looks to bad considering you count your clothes and boots you have on. personally I would use the Iphone 5 for picture. but I know most people take their photography more seriously then I do. pack, sleeping bag, and tent/shelter is where most people can cut pounds. you are already pretty light weight there, so your down to leaving stuff or cutting oz. I do think there are lighter versions on some of your items. Take your puffy jacket at 20oz. my puffy weighs 12oz. thats half a pound there.

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
I looked at your list a little closer and you have doubled up on a few things.
Looks like you have two water filters and drops? One of the three would be plenty if you need them at all.
You have a Spot, a GPS and a map.
Do you have service for the Iphone where you're hunting?
I would also lose the Pelican camera case. I just use a cheap lightweight case or none at all.

I prefer to go lighter but that's just me. Your list really isn't too bad overall.

dotman

WKR
Solid looking list, I wouldn't worry about dropping the extra filter if it gives you peace of mind since it only is a 3oz penalty.

I would double check your total weight, looks like a formula break and your jetboil/fuel total 0oz, so add another lb :)

Last edited:

Rizzy

WKR
My maximum target weight including water is 50ish for long trips and 40ish for short trips. I just did an overnight trip into the high country this week and came in at 38# with everything including stove.