Target Reviews/ Suggestions etc

ceng

Lil-Rokslider
I'm sure most of you have some preference for targets, and I'm fairly certain the answer I get here will be expensive, but what are you guys and gals running in your yard for targets? My problem is (well some of them) my bow shoots through a lot of targets, I know the more expensive block targets would likely work. I just have a tough time coughing up close $200 for a postage stamp size target. I want to shoot far away and have some margin(read not lose $20 arrows every few weeks), I want to shoot up close and have multiple spots. I've tried bags which stop my arrows great but when I try and pull them, they Chinese finger trap the arrows so bad because of the outserts they sometimes need to be surgically removed. I bought a deer target which stopped arrows ok, but not if it was wet at all. So I guess my question is, what's my best bet? What targets have you guys used and liked? Disliked? The matrix looks nice, but $300 for a 24" target ouch, maybe I should just suck it up.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts

Jake

Davebuech

WKR
Ive used just about all at one time or another. Matrix IMO is the best on the market. Yes spendy but, you won't regret it if you go that route. I take a module into the woods for shooting at camp (not backpacking of course!)

Dameon

WKR
For arrows with standard inserts and field points only, Spyderweb ST24. I have one and it rarely takes more than 2 fingers to pull an arrow. It is very durable and mine has stopped nearly 1000 arrows already in just one side after owning it for a month. My backyard range is twenty yards and it stops my 400 grain arrows flying at 287 fps with no problems. It costs less than $200 and ships for free from Spyderweb.

For any arrow and any tip, including broadheads, I recommend the Rhinehart Rhinoblock XL. I have one as well and use it for bareshaft and broadhead tuning. It needs an arrow puller to remove arrows but it is very durable and the replaceable insert for broadheads is a nice touch. I got mine blemished from CamoFire for less than $150 with shipping a few weeks ago. Give them a call to see if they have any left.

92150ac646cc356983f937354a345d11.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

UtahJimmy

WKR
Camofire has a 16x16 Block right now for $60! or you can call them and see if they have their bigger ones in stock for a few bucks more.

I've had a 16" Rhinehart for 4 seasons and it's still killing it. If I hadn't let my friend borrow it last year and shoot 500 BHs into a single face (I was pretty pissed to say the least!) it would be in better shape. And I shoot a lot of arrows year round. The Rhineharts are better for BHs than the blocks, just FYI

OP
ceng

ceng

Lil-Rokslider
Wow thanks for the info. I'll pick up one of the 16" ones and still keep looking for a larger target. My arrows are about 435 grains around 328 fps, so they take a little stopping.

Dameon

WKR
Wow thanks for the info. I'll pick up one of the 16" ones and still keep looking for a larger target. My arrows are about 435 grains around 328 fps, so they take a little stopping.

The block targets won't last very long for you with that kind of kinetic energy. You would be better served with a Rhinehart. Keep an eye on Camofire or give them a call. They've been having great deals on both brands lately.

I picked up 5 used delta 3D targets for around $500 when Total Archery Challenge switched back to exclusively using rinehart 3-4 years ago. Not bad considering they are all big targets and one of them is huge! They aren't the prettiest and they aren't rineharts but they stop arrows like nobody's business. A year later I bought 5 more all Cabelas brand used 3D targets for $200 from a local and I get fletch deep penetration on all of them even though he never shot them and they are not shot up at all. But they work great for the ladies that shoot with me. I've had a rinehart 18n1 during that entire time and only use it for Broadhead and can honestly say I'm very impressed with how it's held up. Lastly i just ordered a matrix because it seemed taylormade for my home made 2D elk target and while I only have a few dozen shots into it, it seems to be a great target. But not cheap. My advice is if you spring for a higher end target, don't let it rot in the sun all summer. I move all my targets in and out of the shop every time except the bison which I cover with an ATV cover and the matrix which is covered with a tarp on the perimeter and back and cardboard on the front (for a blank face).
22a1875f59bc43e103e5f89c671b8ed4.jpg

Wolf
61b2921b703363ac80bcccacc32db70f.jpg

Rinehart vs. matrix
943bf62efb0dc6b6901eea9e28c32d39.jpg

With cardboard face
be33e3b470292e616d4496ab9ae30f98.jpg

TheCougar

WKR
Rinehart targets work great for me. They last for thousands and thousands of shots. I just replaced the core on mine after several years of shooting.

buttekid

Lil-Rokslider
I have several different block targets. The last one I purchased was a Matrix when they first came out. Love it.