Target sights?

rhendrix

WKR
I've read a couple of you guys now saying that you run CBE and Sure-Loc sights on your hunts and had a couple of questions for you...I'm currently using a Spot Hogg Hogg-it SDP with full guard. This thing is tough as nails. How durable are the scopes and dove tails on your sights? What color are you guys running for your fiber optics? Do you use a scope lens at all, and if so is it legal to do so in most states? I can shoot 5-6" groups at 60 yards with my sights now, but everything is so cluttered that I don't have a clear picture if my target, obviously switching to a single pin will fix most of this, but I'm concerned about being able to dial in my sight before a shot, what's the learning curve like? Any recommendations for brands?

Thanks,
Ron

Last edited:
OP
R

rhendrix

WKR
Thinking about picking up a BG Ascent Target...not sure which scope I would pick up, but looks like the Ascent target offers everything I want in a slider: 1st, 2nd, and 3rd axis adjustment, 6" dovetail, and an easy to read sight tape.

Any input?

OR Archer

WKR
Since you are running a SH Hogg It you could just buy a Tommy Hogg body and mount the head your currently have onto it and have a multi pin slider that's rock solid.

OP
R

rhendrix

WKR
Could I do that and remove one pin (or several for that matter) from the Hogg It without voiding the warranty, though?

I like the option of having a head that I could have two or three pins, that way I could lock it at 20 yards when I'm hunting whitetails and be able to adjust it when I go out west.

Decisions, decisions.

Last edited:

RosinBag

Super Moderator
Staff member
Yes you can. Spot Hogg will build any configuration you want; single up pin, single horizontal pin, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 or 7 pin combos. Anything over 5 pin has to go into their large gaurd, the others can go into small gaurd. IMHO, the Tommy Hogg is the most durable sliding hunting sight out there. It is also easy to operate.

On your other questions. If you run a hunting sight with a magnifier or a lens with power, you will get less field of view, which I wouldn't think is good for hunting.

If trying to avoid the clutter, run 4 pins in the 5 pin set up. Meaning skip the 4th pin placement in the housing and that would leav a significant gap in your housing. So your set up may be a 20, 30, 40 and 60 pin. Then your 60 pin can be your slider and used for any yardage you want without a lot around it to clutter your field of view.

OP
R

rhendrix

WKR
Awesome...I could easily ask the reps at SH this, but you guys might know, is there any way to attach the tommy hogg to the dove tail that is on the hogg it? It doesn't look like it'd be an option, but I'm just kicking ideas around anyways and trying to make a poor mans hogg father.

RosinBag

Super Moderator
Staff member
Nope...the pin housing is the only interchangeable item on most of the Spot Hogg sights. The Tommy Hogg sits out fairly far as is. I would say within 1"-1.5" fr what the Hogg Father would be at the furthest position it could get.

RosinBag

Super Moderator
Staff member
Nope...the pin housing is the only interchangeable item on most of the Spot Hogg sights. The Tommy Hogg sits out fairly far as is. I would say within 1"-1.5" from what the Hogg Father would be at the furthest position it could get. I would keep your current set up and just buy a new one. If you have a back up bow you could use that sight on it.

I run the tommy on two bows and have 3 hog fathers for 3d/outdoor/indoor. Do not get a father to hunt with. it is way too heavy and you dont need your sight to be pushed out that far for hunting. I have always had the opinion that if you are going to shoot a slider, shoot a 1 PIN slider. Pins are confusing, that is the reason you want to try and get a slider. Sliders can be confusing/cause issues as well..... there is NO reason to have both. It would be way too confusing.

You will get a lot of people telling you that you should get 3-5 pins on a slider so you dont have to slide it. Lets be honest, if you have 5 pins out to 60 yards, how often will you ever even need the slider. On top of that, you can EASILY shoot 10-40 yards with the same pin (with a little practice) very accurately.

the tommy is bullet prooof, I have had the boss hog too, i thought it was heavy and the adjustment got some slop in it.

I currently build scope lenses professionally, some people hunt with them, some people have to because of vision issues. IF you do, stick with a 2X, any more and you may need a clarifier in your peep to keep it clear, this is NOT something you want to mess with while hunting. Also, get a cover for the lens that slips on and off quickly in case it rains. Last, get a GREAT lens with a GREAT coating that has anti reflective and is "oleophobic" meaning it will repel oil and dirt.

feel free to pm me with any lens questions

Joe

OP
R

rhendrix

WKR
Looking at all the options available, I'm leaning towards a Ascent Target with a HHA Pro 5019. I'm willing to sacrifice a couple pins for a nice clear sight picture. Most of the shots I'm going to take hunting in E. Texas are going to be under 30 yards. Now to either sell my SH Hogg-It or save up and put the new sight and scope on the credit card after I get some gear purchases from members on here.

If you guys have any recommendations for a scope that has a 2" housing, I'm all ears.

I would suggest looking at a 1 3/4 inch scope.... why? because there are only a couple 2" ones available (hha is one), and the fact that with a 1 3/4 inch scope you will be able to use a bit smaller peep, which if using a scope is key to a clear sight picture.

JOe

J-Daddy

WKR
Looking at all the options available, I'm leaning towards a Ascent Target with a HHA Pro 5019. I'm willing to sacrifice a couple pins for a nice clear sight picture. Most of the shots I'm going to take hunting in E. Texas are going to be under 30 yards. Now to either sell my SH Hogg-It or save up and put the new sight and scope on the credit card after I get some gear purchases from members on here.

If you guys have any recommendations for a scope that has a 2" housing, I'm all ears.

The HHA scope is an option...I actually had one on a Target Ascent at one point, I'll be honest with ya, I wasn't a huge fan of the HHA scope. It was just big & bulky and I didn't care for the pin on it. Spot Hogg makes "or atleast they did" a single pin scope on a 10/32 rod that would work on the Target Ascent...
If your not in a huge hurry wait for the 2013 stuff to come out because Black Gold has a new scope on a 10/32 rod coming out for 2013 and from the specs I've heard it'll be AWESOME...Be a great scope to pull double duty as a 3-D/Hunting scope...Should be on the market in Jan. I think.

I have TONS of experience with scopes, all in all, they are basically the same. Look out for some of the products from sure loc/spot hogg/shrewd becuase a lot of them you use a "special" way of attaching their lenses if you ever decide to try one. THey require a special retainer ring, a lens that you have to buy from them, or a lens that has notches drilled in it.

Lets be honest, it is a short metal tube with a rod in it, tough to go wrong. The sight itself is the most important.

For money saving on a scope, the viper products are as good as they come, they have an integrated wrapped fiber that makes it great for collecting light for hunting.

Joe

J-Daddy

WKR
Yeah Viper does make a great scope, I've shot them a lot over the years....The new scope Black Gold is coming out with in 2013 will accept a lens and it will have spooled fiber as well as the photochromatic shell...But it'll be a target style scope. I always hated their old single pin heads but the new one sounds like it's gonna be great....Rumors I've heard is that it will also have a micro adjustable pin in it that you can adjust up and down to fine tune it to exactly where you want it...
Black Gold will also have a true target sight out in 2013...Not the Ascent version but a pure target sight.

I have seen that target sight a few times, Phil shoots his prototype one all the time up here, should be good. you hit on a good point, whatever scope you choose make sure that the pin can take a beating. Most of the target pins are ver fragile and you wouldn't want to hunt with them. the new spot hogg stuff is super tough as far as an up-pin is concerned.