Tarp/Hanging out in the Rain

Weber

FNG
Looking for a tarp for honestly just generally hanging out.

I hunt in some real wet stuff, muskeg, heavy rain, etc. It also happens to get dark at like 630PM so there is a lot of time sitting around camp that I don't want to spend snuggled up next to my buddy in our 2P tent.

How do people deal with this? I know most would probably just have a small fire, but where I am, I really don't expect to find enough dry tinder to start a fire, much less keep it going.

So I figured I'd start with a Tarp. Sip of bourbon and BSing under a tarp isn't the worst thing in the world. Then again it is also 30-36 degrees. But hey, one problem at a time. Any good recs? I was looking at the Kifaru Sheep Tarp but not sure if we'd both fit underneath it. I looked at the SO DST but they are 8 weeks out, hunt is in 3. I guess something that works as a floorless shelter is great, but I'm a bathtub tent kind of guy right now, so primary concern is glassing shelter and hanging out in the rain for 4 hours under.

Secondly, aside from chilling in our Puffys, any tips on fire/heat? I wondered if those cheap little titanium fold up fireboxes would put off enough and get hot enough to burn damp tinder (suppose I could pack a small bag of dry stuff but it'd go pretty quick.

Last edited:
Warbonnet Ground Tarp

Closes on four sides for weather protection but can be pitched more open for glassing or hot weather. You have more than enough room for two adults and gear and it weighs like 17.5 ounces. Flat tarps cannot compete with the weather protection and weight of this.

mcseal2

WKR
Get Corey’s DST. He is a good guy and they are great tarps. Used a DST and Colorado tarp from seek in AK two trips now and they handled the wind and rain well. If you can’t count on wood for poles the Green Elephant ones on amazon work well. Msr cyclone or imitation versions have worked for stakes.

3850245bfc0fbbf8c434f42312e7971d.jpg

491f4d9f3d798638e49d05b1bfc41f81.jpg

273df0f5f08ed78dacfc5485babf193b.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
Weber

Weber

FNG
Get Corey’s DST. He is a good guy and they are great tarps. Used a DST and Colorado tarp from seek in AK two trips now and they handled the wind and rain well. If you can’t count on wood for poles the Green Elephant ones on amazon work well. Msr cyclone or imitation versions have worked for stakes.
Honestly, this just sold my on a DST if I can get one. Seeing how much room you have.

Now, how to not be freezing the whole time while under it

Ronin

FNG
Bushcraft Outfitters makes some pretty bomb proof tarps. The multicam tarps are a heavier material than the others, which I prefer. I have one of those that has served me well for years. You’ll just need to seam seal the ridge line.

mcseal2

WKR
If you have the weight allowance a hill people gear mountain serape is a great item to have for sitting under the tarp. I wear it like an insulated poncho over my puffy layers at camp. I use a 20 degree bag, so it can also help me take that bag down to 0 or below.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Vrybusy

Lil-Rokslider
+1 on the DST Tarp. Got mine a couple weeks ago and seam sealed it. You can pitch this tarp in so many configurations, making it very versitile - see the numerous YouTube videos. Get yourself some MSR stakes and trekking poles and you're good to go! Great tarp and great company to deal with!

If the tarp is needed for more lounging and less for 'survival' you might consider a silpoly tarp (lighter, cheaper, less durable) as opposed to the silnylon folks like Seek Outside use. Bear Paw Wilderness Designs has some silpoly tarps and plenty of time in the game.

htlt_surfboards

Lil-Rokslider
If the tarp is needed for more lounging and less for 'survival' you might consider a silpoly tarp (lighter, cheaper, less durable) as opposed to the silnylon folks like Seek Outside use. Bear Paw Wilderness Designs has some silpoly tarps and plenty of time in the game.
I got a Silpoly tarp tarp from Bear Paw wilderness. The first one they sent had a quarter size hole in it so sent it back for an exchange. The second one they sent had two very small holes in it when arrived. If you get one from them I would set it up and throughly inspect it when it arrives. For price and weight it has worked well after repairs.