Tarp help (budget)

Amac1989

FNG
Hey I've been looking at some older threads and come up with a few options, plus a few of my own. Wondering if I can get some community feedback on good to go or no go for these.
I've never used a tarp shelter. I'd like something that can fit 2 people, is that a 10x10 or more? Or can something smaller do the job.

I'll be using this in NorCal and Oregon, not sure how much snow I'll see in the late season, but it could be a possibility. Most likely a 3 season will do.

What I've heard are good
Bear paw WD
Jimmy tarps
DST tarp seek outside (only pictures I saw were half dome which was weird)

DD tarp 10x10

AquaQuest Defender (or any other models)

gwl79902

WKR
They are super easy to make. Or you could look at the diy section and find some one to make one for a few bucks.

Vaultman

WKR
Kifaru has 15% off some tarps right now.
Not sure what you (OP) mean by "budget" but Kifaru shelters are awesome. I used one of their shelters last year and am thinking about getting another one (the paratarp or supertarp) from them now on their 15% off sale. It ends Sunday night, so you have about 24 hrs, which I understand is a short time to make a new decision... having just learned about them. (But me, I am just wrestling with if I need one this year, or if I should save my coin for something else for this years hunt).
Oh the problems that my wallet has...

OP
A

Amac1989

FNG
Budget being under 100 if possible, looks like there are some solid options. I may try the BCO tarp for $65 as I've read from a few people they are good to go.

Gli_ryan

FNG
In the $100 range I thought the mountain smith mountain shelter lt looked awesome. I think it’s $130. I ended up with something different, but this was at the top of my list too.

Felix40

WKR
I think you are going to have a bad time if you try to sleep two guys in a 10x10 tarp in a snow storm.

That said, I took a gamble on a TNH tarp off amazon for $30 and its been really good. Its open on both ends so I only use it in decent weather. Big enough for two guys. I use a seek outside redcliff a lot too so I know what nice stuff is like.

Mosby

WKR
Another option is a DD tarp. Popular with UK bushcraft guys on youtube. You can get a 10x10 on Amazon for $69.95. A lot of tie outs. Gets good reviews. They also sell a 13x13 tarp under $100. Another tarp available on Amazon is Aqua Quest. Again, popular with bushcraft guys and seems well made. They sell a 13 x 10 under $100. A number of yt videos on both.

Last edited:

Blackhawk45hunter

Lil-Rokslider
I think you are going to have a bad time if you try to sleep two guys in a 10x10 tarp in a snow storm.

That said, I took a gamble on a TNH tarp off amazon for $30 and its been really good. Its open on both ends so I only use it in decent weather. Big enough for two guys. I use a seek outside redcliff a lot too so I know what nice stuff is like.

I’ll agree with you there. A 10x10 is ok for a single person and gear but for two people it isn’t big enough to offer perfection from the elements. A 14x14 would likely be big enough for that.

OP
A

Amac1989

FNG
I forgot to add that I’ll be using this with a bivy. Good suggestions so far, looking at DD tarp, and mountainsmith LT which I found for 110.
I like the idea of a door enclosure. Not sure if a basic 10x10 can be configured for that?

This one isn't crazy light but it will get the job done and it's cheap. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01HO15DGS/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_FUmVCb7E8NDBH

Agree with others that 10x10 is too small for two guys and gear in all but the most open configurations. I pitched it in a modified A frame with one end basically on the ground and it was barely big enough for my 6 year old and I and no gear (back yard camping in MN before the mosquitoes arrive).

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

OP
A

Amac1989

FNG
This one isn't crazy light but it will get the job done and it's cheap. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01HO15DGS/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_FUmVCb7E8NDBH

Agree with others that 10x10 is too small for two guys and gear in all but the most open configurations. I pitched it in a modified A frame with one end basically on the ground and it was barely big enough for my 6 year old and I and no gear (back yard camping in MN before the mosquitoes arrive).

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
I was looking at that one before

Blackhawk45hunter

Lil-Rokslider
Your pitch configuration plays a big part in how much room you have. Here’s my 10x10 set up like a tent with only the front open, the one on the right:

Attachments

• 02FCF6E5-8504-4FF0-8D0E-4293CAD30DDE.jpeg
    02FCF6E5-8504-4FF0-8D0E-4293CAD30DDE.jpeg
    323.7 KB · Views: 119

Gagster7

Lil-Rokslider
I am new to Rokslide, I am also doing research on a tarp to have in my pack for an emergency or even as a shelter in storm. I am not sure which way to go. This will be for my first backpack hunt.

but posted same question on FB and got
Sil tarp
chil gorilla- 10x10
bushcraft outfitters
mountainsmith
dst
kifaru sheep tarp vs paratarp

JV3220

FNG
Easy fully enclosed tarp configurations

Her is a few I tried

2a24f00e9223cbc8ce45236e2175cd2b.jpg
7a00bbafcf0cc8b990578c2fe3a51d1a.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JV3220

FNG
I have the $65 bushcraft great tarp but the DD tarp may be a better bang for your dollar? Have not handled one but saw a comparison video and the DD tarp looks even better and I am impressed with the bush craft. My whole kit with line and stakes is 30 ounces.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk