Tarp selection help needed (and a lesson learned)

Gettincloser

Lil-Rokslider
I live in Central to East Texas and we do not have a lot of tarp camping weather. Lots of snake, scorpions and more than a few mosquitoes!

That said, I like to practice different setups when I can. I did not know the winds were going to get to the 30's with gusts I to the 40's lastnight (highly unusual) and 36 degrees. Fortunately I was testing this withing 100 yds of the house. About 1:30am, my cheap, Chinese, rip-stop tarp shredded! I was impressed with the wind and hung out for another 30 minutes inside my quilt on an insulated pad and a window film ground cloth. It was shaking the quilt all over but I stayed warm. Not wanting to destroy my quilt, I called it a night and grabbed everything and headed for the house.

Mistake #1: other than buying a cheep tarp and not checking weather conditions, I believe I set the "flying diamond" up a little more "flat" and it acted more like a wall than splitting the wind...

Mistake #2: this tarp was 16' x 9' with catcut design. I believe the tarp was also not only setup incorrectly but also too big...

Sorry for the long read but wanted to give context that most of the issue was probably me.

Looking for recommendations on A) a new tarp to be used to shelter 1 person in potentially stronger than expected winds. B) a recome action on how to properly pitch the tarp to beat the wind and not have the wind beat me!

Thanks,

Your local tarp newb!

OP
G

Gettincloser

Lil-Rokslider
I use a UST tarp but dont have your wind .
We do not have that wind here either. Maybe 1x per year... we sure as heck had it last night!

Should I stick with the "flying spade" set up with more of a "V" and not as flat? Or is there a better pitch for wind and possible rain?

huck

Lil-Rokslider
For wind and or rain I use a sharp V with ground pegs . If its gonna rain alot I dig a little drainage ditch around my tarp ,sounds dumb ,but it helps .

Phaseolus

WKR
I’ve used Seek Outside’s DST Tarp for a few backcountry colorado hunts. I did buy a Seek Outside Eolus which gives a bit better coverage for the same size and weight. First pic is a Seek Eolus at 11800’ during archery season. The second is the DST at nearly the same location a year earlier. BBCB3940-5412-4E70-926C-4D08F971FE5F.jpeg3DE28A80-477C-40ED-B033-E95F823D876B.jpeg

Last edited:

robin1970

FNG
I live in Central to East Texas and we do not have a lot of tarp camping weather. Lots of snake, scorpions and more than a few mosquitoes!

That said, I like to practice different setups when I can. I did not know the winds were going to get to the 30's with gusts I to the 40's lastnight (highly unusual) and 36 degrees. Fortunately I was testing this withing 100 yds of the house. About 1:30am, my cheap, Chinese, rip-stop tarp shredded! I was impressed with the wind and hung out for another 30 minutes inside my quilt on an insulated pad and a window film ground cloth. It was shaking the quilt all over but I stayed warm. Not wanting to destroy my quilt, I called it a night and grabbed everything and headed for the house.

Mistake #1: other than buying a cheep tarp and not checking weather conditions, I believe I set the "flying diamond" up a little more "flat" and it acted more like a wall than splitting the wind...

Mistake #2: this tarp was 16' x 9' with catcut design. I believe the tarp was also not only setup incorrectly but also too big...

Sorry for the long read but wanted to give context that most of the issue was probably me.

Looking for recommendations on A) a new tarp to be used to shelter 1 person in potentially stronger than expected winds. B) a recome action on how to properly pitch the tarp to beat the wind and not have the wind beat me!

Thanks,

Your local tarp newb!

Thanks,

Your local tarp newb!

Thanks,

Your local tarp newb!

Thanks,

Your local tarp newb!

Thanks,

Your local tarp newb!
For cat cut, I recommend MLD Grace Tarp Duo. 11 oz $160 9.5′ x 7.5′ x 9.5′ ( front x rear x ridge length). https://mountainlaureldesigns.com/product/mld-grace-tarp/
Lots of info on Backpacking Light, YT, on cat tarp setup in windy conditions. Site selection important, set narrow end into wind. With MLD Duo, sides can be pegged to the ground, leaving more room than solo version.

I've owned solo version. I now own a similar larger cat tarp by Oware, but which has beaks at each end.

Last edited:

mcseal2

WKR
I like the square tarps myself for the diamond configuration. I have several I like for different things but the seek dst is hard to beat. Mine has been used a lot and is holding up great.

Tarp camping I try pretty hard to set up out of the wind. If I can’t I make sure to get the wind side staked low and well. Keep wind from getting under the tarp. The reinforced section on the DST helps give it a good shape and stability in wind with a stick or pole on the underside. Other tarps can do this too with care, the dst is just designed for it.

mcseal2

WKR
Various uses of my dst on summer fishing trips around home and in Alaska hunting.

Attachments

• 9F7301B3-7F88-4930-A38D-6029CDF06190.jpeg
    9F7301B3-7F88-4930-A38D-6029CDF06190.jpeg
    362 KB · Views: 47
  • 6F4128E4-5FAA-4BAC-9466-0272BA6B1787.jpeg
    6F4128E4-5FAA-4BAC-9466-0272BA6B1787.jpeg
    370.3 KB · Views: 47
  • 26621F93-09BE-4E57-945C-115A986E2791.jpeg
    26621F93-09BE-4E57-945C-115A986E2791.jpeg
    534.8 KB · Views: 45
  • 00220E1F-EAB9-4536-98EC-038105A51EC2.jpeg
    00220E1F-EAB9-4536-98EC-038105A51EC2.jpeg