Tarp shelters in high winds

Set up my first tarp shelter today. It's a little Zpacks Pocket Tarp with doors. I used carbon peg stakes and set it up behind my building at work. The surface is pea gravel covered with a thin layer of grass, so not real stable. Winds were blowing around 25 mph. Stakes pulled out a couple of times as I was setting up.

For those who live in tarp shelters, anything special you do during set up to keep things from flying around, or is this just something you have to deal with during high winds? Do you have to put rocks on top of the stakes or use a different style? I love the carbon pins because they weigh 0.2 oz each. Not sure it would have stayed standing with winds much higher, or if I was setting up on snow.

I'm totally new to tarps, so I'm probably missing something simple. Thinking I probably should have set it up with the fabric touching the ground instead of 4-6" off the ground, which is the standard set up.

Last edited:
Set the side towards the wind to the ground.
Put rocks etc on the stakes.
Take a couple bigger stakes for corners.
Bit Of extra cord to wrap around logs, rocks etc.
Lots of adaptability with tarps that you can take advantage of.
Watch YouTube on how to pitch a tarp.

OP
Mike Islander
Thanks MR260. This tarp has a very specific setup configuration. I may be able to set it up a few other ways. Will see if I can find some options on YTube. I can see how getting the bottom edge down to the ground would solve a lot of problems. Having it up 6" is the standard configuration, and I'm sure that's to provide plenty of ventalation, a secondary consideration in high winds.

hexamid-pocket-tarp-w-doors-laying-down_2048x.jpg

tdot

WKR
I would consider replacing all the major tie out points with MSR Groundhogs. Yes they are heavier, but they hold. The carbon stakes are nice on specific ground and at tension points that require less tension then the major tie out points.

You might add an ounce to your total weight. But they will hold.

Carbon also sucks in rocky areas.

I find 4 or so Groundhogs and then an assortment of carbon and ti Sheperd hooks provides a light and effective setup.

OP
Mike Islander
So maybe four Groundhogs at the main corners and them some of my Tokes Ti v-stakes for the rest? I'll give it a try. I have some 7" TNH Aluminum Tri-Beams that are probably copies of the Groundhogs and might work for the main corners..

Clovis

Lil-Rokslider
Stakes with more holding power for sure. The Groundhogs are good and you can also find natural anchors in a lot of circumstances (tie off to a tree, base of a shrub, root, big rock, bag of small rocks, or on sand or sandy soil or snow use deadman anchors with rocks or sticks) and do it so that you can easily untie and go without digging them out by going around the anchor to a trucker's hitch or the like. At least your key stake points (the ones where if they go, you lose your shelter) are worth the extra weight of stouter stakes and improvised set up to serious natural anchors. Even with a tarp like you showed that requires a particular set-up rather than freestyle flat tarp I would still aim to have a reliable natural anchor or two (or more) if I was counting on it making it through a big wind. It is worth picking your site with the wind in mind too. A natural windbreak goes a long way to a comfortable night under a tarp.

nodakian

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Another vote for groundhogs. My tipi has survived several "breezy" (25-40 mph) nights with no trouble. I found some less expensive copies, Coghlans brand I think, at Walmart. They're not as stiff, but good enough, and some are 9-10" long for better holding power.

tttoadman

WKR
Rocks are your best friend.

I use the groundhog minis and usually take a couple regular groundhogs to use in the worst spots. I made big loops on the tie outs with line locs so i can either set up really high or loop around a rock or log.

OP
Mike Islander
Tried again today in 10-15 mph winds. Wind was a good bit less than last time, but my purpose was to see how close to the ground I could get the tarp and still use it as a shelter.

Wind is coming from the left in the first photo. I didn't have a trekking pole at my office, so I used a shower curtain rod that I had laying around. I need to try again with a shorter pole, but it worked pretty well. Pounded the stakes all the way in and worked to get the tie outs as close to ground level as possible. Would definitely put rocks on all of these and put some rocks or logs on the back to get it held as low as possible.

20200210_135044.jpg20200210_135052.jpg20200210_135100.jpg20200210_135109.jpg20200210_135120.jpg

Last edited:
OP
Mike Islander
Lots of good info here and this guy spends more nights out in a year than many do in 10 years:

Very nice. Many thanks.

Zpacks includes quicklocks with this tarp already. To get it even closer to the ground, I need to add a short loop right on the tie out connector, since you can only get to within a couple inches using the quicklocks. You can see that in the photos. Of course placing a rock on there would get it down to the ground.

Wind is coming from the rear quarter shown in the first photo.

I shortened the "tent pole" from 49" to 44" today and set up in 18 mph winds. It's better, but without the short lines right on the guy line connectors it won't get right down and touch the ground. Probably would also need to run two lines inside down to the rear stakes that go in between the middle and outer guy lines to keep that fabric off of you in the tent and increase living space. I've heard of people doing this with the tent pole as well to keep it from moving as the wind vibrates the tent.

A few pictures of the improved setup.
20200211_104531.jpg
20200211_104458.jpg20200211_104508.jpg20200211_104521.jpg