Tarp stakes for Colorado highcountry

colobow

Lil-Rokslider
I got cooked last archery season during long glassing sessions. I’m getting a tarp and wanted to get recommendations for light stakes to use above tree line.

thanks

mlgc20

WKR
Setting up tarps and non-freestanding tents above the tree line can be a real challenge. You end up tying out to rocks and wedging stakes in cracks between rocks. If there is snow, the MSR Blizzard stakes are very nice. The Blizzards also have several holes running through them. You can run your paracord through the holes and tie off in the middle. That gives you some extra options for fitting your stakes in between rocks. Only downside is the blizzards weigh a bit more than others. I like to carry a couple of them in addition to my normal stakes, unless there is a lot of snow. Then I will just take the Blizzards.

I have some Vargo Ascent stakes, the v-shaped ones. They are garbage. Couldn't even get them into my midwestern grass front yard without bending a few.

I would also recommend the MSR Groundhog stakes, but also the MSR Cyclone stakes, they work better in loose sand. I am just not sure what terrain you are referring to.

Meanwhile, this is a REALLY good video on how to guy out tents and tarps:

I learned so much from that one video that I threw away those silly keepers. I guy out my tarp under heavy winds and the video was super helpful for me.

TravisIN

WKR
I use MSR needle tent stakes for super rocky stuff very durable and lightweight. I’m not sure they even make them anymore but I’m sure there is something like them Out there.
c87a7d841ea683f131532ebe33687792.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tdot

WKR
Has anyone tried Vargo stakes ?

I have a mixture of Vargo stakes and the MSR groundhogs. Been happy with the Vargo Nail peg (both diameters) and the shepherd's hook. I find I'm moving more towards the Vargo Nail pegs for a quick tarp setup and only use the Groundhogs overnight.

OP
C

colobow

Lil-Rokslider
I have a mixture of Vargo stakes and the MSR groundhogs. Been happy with the Vargo Nail peg (both diameters) and the shepherd's hook. I find I'm moving more towards the Vargo Nail pegs for a quick tarp setup and only use the Groundhogs overnight.
Interesting, my tarp setup is for glassing sessions and midday naps. I’m thinking of the Vargo nail peg UL stakes and a couple Zpacks sonic stakes I already have

JDZ

WKR
I want to hear a story that includes the following elements, in no particular order:
Setting up a tarp
Glassing a buck from under a tarp
Killing a buck with a bow and arrow
Taking down a tarp
Packing out meat and antlers

OP
C

colobow

Lil-Rokslider
I want to hear a story that includes the following elements, in no particular order:
Setting up a tarp
Glassing a buck from under a tarp
Killing a buck with a bow and arrow
Taking down a tarp
Packing out meat and antlers
What’s your point?

JDZ

WKR
What’s your point?

My intent is to hopefully learn from somebody who has used a glassing tarp above treeline , in addition to their sleeping shelter, to kill a buck with a bow. I've considered the additional tarp, but at the same time I'm always trying to bring less stuff. I thought it could maybe help you as the original poster, as well.

OP
C

colobow

Lil-Rokslider
My intent is to hopefully learn from somebody who has used a glassing tarp above treeline , in addition to their sleeping shelter, to kill a buck with a bow. I've considered the additional tarp, but at the same time I'm always trying to bring less stuff. I thought it could maybe help you as the original poster, as well.
I had a scenario where a friend and I would take turns chasing bucks and left our base camp behind. So whom ever wasn’t chasing bucks was getting fried in the sun above tree line.

I question the additional weight also but sitting in the sun all day all day wasnt fun either

Dave0317

Lil-Rokslider
In my limited experience, I’ve found that the issue up high is the very hard ground. Tough to drive a stake into, but it holds great once it is there. So after breaking some V and Y shaped stakes, I bought the MSR Core stakes. Just a solid spike to drive into the ground. I imagine some Nail Pegs as mentioned above would be a comparable product.
For something more temporary like a glassing tarp, it may not be much of an issue, but I’d take the solid spike types for sure.