Tarp Stakes

TEmbry

WKR
What is everyone using? Where is the cut off between lightweight and strength to stay put during a storm?

Just picked up a super tarp and want to know my options before it comes in in a few weeks.

just bought some from true value for a buck a piece, galvanized steel and about 8'' long 1/2'' wide. need to drill holes in top to allow rope to pass through and anchor. weight? kinda crazy all this weight talk.... guess it all adds up. mine will be for just in case though and only to cover me if needed in my one man tent. my tents a msr hubba but still you never know..... good luck.

armyjoe

Super Moderator
MSR Groundhogs are what I use.for my Super Tarp. 8" stakes for the main points. 2 in front 2 in back and the pole guy out line. Then the mini groundhogs for the extra points if needed.

I kinda like the dura-pegs. When I first saw them I thought there was no way they were going to last, but haven't broke one yet.

slim23

Lil-Rokslider
There are some cheap reddish ones at Walmart. 8" long and alum. Colghans??? Cheap and light. But there are lighter but $$$

With my Supertarp I generally run 4 of the Coughlans ($3-$4) at the four corners and Vargo titanium stakes everywhere else if I expect rough weather. Otherwise the titanium stakes work just fine.
I will probably be trying some of the Easton Full Metal Jacket stakes shortly, supposedly hold well, definitely light....and expensive.