Tarp tent materials?

zacattack

WKR
So I’ve got some spare time over the next few weeks, and have been Looking at tents and figured I might as well try my hand at it. I’ve been practicing my sewing and doesn’t seem too hard as long as I stick to simple things. Anyhow what material would y’all recommend for a tarp tent/shelter?

JustinEllison

Lil-Rokslider
Silnylon or silpoly from ripstop by the roll. I have made my own roll top dry bags and waterproof zip bags like the kifaru pull outs and they are simple. Going to try and make a tarp like the kifaru supertarp

JustinEllison

Lil-Rokslider
I have used 1.1 silnylon and 1.1 silpoly and another silpoly pu3000. I have made pack covers, and dry proof bags and then I made a food bag that held 7 days of food and hung from a tree the whole time in Idaho last sept and worked flawless. Anything they selll seems to be good for me to use, but I’m very new to DIY gear

Jesseb

WKR
Ever used the 1.1 mtn ripstop? There’s a good deal on it right now

I have used the 1.1oz MTN silnylon. Great stuff. But where are you finding a good deal on it? All they have had for a while now is the white at regular price. I have some for a pyramid shelter I am going to make but unfortunately I work alone from home everyday so I am not off work like many ☹️

OP
Z

zacattack

WKR
Man I feel like if I tell Someone is gonna scoop me and it won’t be there cause there’s only like 10 yards available, but it’s about half price it looks like

I haven't used the MTN stuff, but by its specs it should be great for a tarp or tent body. I wouldn't use it for the floor though. I know several manufacturers use a sil fabric for the floor, but I just don't like a slippery floor. I prefer a PU coated floor fabric.

OP
Z

zacattack

WKR
My plan is to go floorless and just make a simple square or rectangular tarp now, with maybe some way to close the ends for cold weather

BoTheHunter

Lil-Rokslider
Silnylon or silpoly from ripstop by the roll. I have made my own roll top dry bags and waterproof zip bags like the kifaru pull outs and they are simple. Going to try and make a tarp like the kifaru supertarp
Got any pics of the diy kifaru pullouts? I want to sew some on my singer heavy duty. How did you make the plans? What type of needle and thread?

JustinEllison

Lil-Rokslider
0BEC5301-E376-4F8F-91D9-071E668B54D3.jpeg
that is one that I made, that fit all my clothes for backpack elk in sept. I used Mara 70 thread and got all the stuff off ripstop by the roll. And they have a YouTubevideo on how to make “zpp bag”. Super simple, I can whip one up in under 10 minutes from start to finish now. The one I made for my food was the size of the xl kifaru ultra lite pull out and held 7 days of food.