Tarp tent pro trail vs Seek Outside Silex

Pro953

WKR
I have enjoyed running my ProTrail for the last few years. Light, quick to setup and I can squeeze it into marginal spots so I can usually climb out to the tent and be glassing immediately.

That said. It does feel like a glorified bivy sometimes. Gaining a few more cubic feet and a bit more headspace would be amazing. I am starting to mess with trekking poles so could just changing to a shelter running them as poles vs the pro-trail that runs some light dedicated poles.

Anyone here that has played with the silex run a pro-trail before? I figure if I could gain a little space without adding weight I would be happy. Not looking to bump up to a 30-40oz shelter hot tent setup.

Any feedback would be great!

Thanks,
Phil

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I used a MoTrail two years ago on my elk hunt and used the Silex this year. There was definitely more space in the Silex and overall I liked it more. I’m still searching for my “perfect” shelter even though it probably doesn’t exist.

OP
P

Pro953

WKR
I used a MoTrail two years ago on my elk hunt and used the Silex this year. There was definitely more space in the Silex and overall I liked it more. I’m still searching for my “perfect” shelter even though it probably doesn’t exist.

Thanks deerhunter. I hear you on the perfect shelter. I have only used a few but hopeful this would be the step in the right direction. I use a larger floor less teepee for family backpacking but this would be my first solo floorless shelter that would be used late season. Did you run it with a Tyvek sheet or ground cloth, or just straight on the ground?

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The silex is a great shelter I’m just wanting to go back to a traditional tent since I live in Alabama and would get more use out of it here as well out west.

tdhanses

WKR
The silex is a great shelter I’m just wanting to go back to a traditional tent since I live in Alabama and would get more use out of it here as well out west.

Since you have the Silex why not just add the nest for when in Alabama?

Hey OP: I work for Tarptent. Maybe I misunderstood your comment, but you can definitely set up the ProTrail with a set of trekking poles; that's how most use it, in fact. Happy to answer any questions.