Tarp Users... Question

gulicemo

Banned
I'm going to be using a MS Mountain Shelter this season set up with trekking poles.

Question for you guys that run tarps as spike/ base camps...? Do you take your trekking poles with you daily assuming you will get an animal down and need to use the poles to help hike out? Seems unnecessary, I'm sure you could use a stick/ branch to set it up, but what if you are above tree line or in an area with no suitable branches?

bbrown

WKR
I leave my poles set up with my camp unless it comes with me as well but I tend to pack in and hunt from a central camp in the back country and not a true bivy style hunt.

SHTF

WKR
Classified Approved
Yes I take them. Im running the same tarp. I hike in with Poles then leave them at camp for the hunt. You can use branches too. But I find having trekking poles while hunting is just a pain. on long hikes in they are invaluable.

Rizzy

WKR
I don't own trekking poles or a pole kit, so I always use branches. I'm always hunting timber bucks and elk so there is always surplus of deadfall. The peaks in the areas I hunt mostly top out at 9500, so the vast open treeless basins don't occur. When I hunted the Ruby's it was more of a problem, but easily solvable with foresight. It's rare to see pics of the high country without at least a few trees in the background :)