Tarp users - Uninvited guests??

armyjoe

Super Moderator
So I'm rolling with a Mega Tarp now and just wondering if any of you guys who use a tarp have had any uninvited critters come in the open end. Just asking because last season we had a black bear cruise by camp at night (didn't come in tho) and a fox come right into camp to my tent entrance.

Interested to see if anyone has had a animal come into their tarps open end while at camp or sleeping.

Lawnboi

WKR
If it wants to get in, id rather have an open end....

Had a mouse chew a quarter size hole in my msr hubba and get in.... getting him out was fun.

Raccoons around here like to try to get in as well. Id rather have a bear sniffing around than a bunch of raccoons.

I slept in a paratipi last year during my elk hunt. You could sometimes hear small critters rustling about under my shelter. I'd rather have them come in, and move along than chew a hole to get in and stay there. I wouldn't be too worried about a bear coming into your shelter. If he really wants in he can slash the walls or walk in the door so it doesn't really matter. I never kept food in my paratipi just so I didn't have to worry about mice or marmots

I ve never had an issue and I have used Kifaru shelters for years. I typically don't pitch my super tarp like a flat tarp thou. Usually pitch it tent style

Daniel_M

WKR
I don't think I could run a tarp anywhere in the L48. Here in Alaska our worries are bears and region pending, can be subsided with a bear fence.

Can't stop a snake. lol

TheRambler

Lil-Rokslider
This was on a backpacking trip last winter, but I had my tarp set up over my hammock, ends closeds off off by just overlaping the doors(so there is still a small space to get in and out). I had my siberian husky Juno with me who was sleeping under me. About 0230 I am awakened by the crazy sounds and hissing a raccoon makes, and also by the "screaming" huskies do(she is one of the ones that doesn't bark). The coon darted around the inside of the tarp for a brief moment before it ran up the tree i was tied off too and the ungodly orchestra of sounds continued for some time. I swear i almost had a heart attack.

I had a similar incident in a shelter on the AT as well, but it happening inside my tarp was definitely an experience.

MattB

WKR
The only issue I have had is ants, which are pretty common in NorCal. Suffice it to say, I tent it now.

Slim Jim

WKR
Most people use a bivy under their tarp so i dont know why you just wouldn't go with a tent with a big vestibule and descent height. The weight is comparable.
I have been thinking about a tarp with a hammock though

Mike7

WKR
I've only ever had minor problems with a tipi with open door for increased ventilation and no problems with a pyramid with perimeter netting. The problems...one time left the tipi door open during the day and a group of black wasps made a nest in the peak. My son made a ball of grass that he learned on "dual survival" that we lit and used to smoke them out. Have had a couple of mice run through briefly. And the best...I awoke one AM just at first light to see a large shadow outside the tent and hear sniffing and scraping as the creature tried to get into the tent. I asked my half asleep wife if both of the dogs were over sleeping by her and she said, yes. So I drew my glock and yelled, get away. This just made the creature start digging to get under the tipi. The shadow now was a little smaller now as the foggy AM sky became lighter. I asked my wife again if the dogs were both there. Now wide awake she says, no, one dog is gone. So I said, Sit! And the shadow sat down...so the shadow was either a trained circus bear on the mountain or my dog. I then called my dog around to the tipi door. He had went out for an early AM pee break and then apparently forgot where the tipi door was. My dog just flopped down between my wife and I, having no idea that he had nearly caused us a heart attack.

OP
armyjoe

armyjoe

Super Moderator
Seems like there is always a chance of something coming in to say hi in the middle of the night. I guess with my bivy setup too it shouldn't be bad. A bear is coming in regardless of tarp or tent, small critters not really a big deal i guess.

Although, if I run into that trained circus bear in the mountains I might be in trouble hahaha. Couldn't stop laughing at that one man.

As far as the scorpions - I grew up in AZ so I've had more then my fair share of those damn things and I would never have a tarp in AZ. I don't care what anyone says, those stings F-ing hurt!

Thanks for all the feedback guys

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
I was out scouting in the summer and had a black bear stick his nose under the edge of my tarp. It took me a sec to figure out what it was. All I could see
was his brown snout. I smack the edge of the tarp and yelled get! He bolted thankfully.

swat8888

WKR
Mice and my hunting partner if he decides not to sleep on the mountain, which he does a lot. Lol

OP
armyjoe

armyjoe

Super Moderator
I was out scouting in the summer and had a black bear stick his nose under the edge of my tarp. It took me a sec to figure out what it was. All I could see
was his brown snout. I smack the edge of the tarp and yelled get! He bolted thankfully.

Ryan, I would have $hit myself seeing that snout sticking under the tarp. I've run into a few bears but nothing like that man

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
Ryan, I would have $hit myself seeing that snout sticking under the tarp. I've run into a few bears but nothing like that man

armyjoe,

Don't get too worried. It was actually a St. Bernard NAMED "Black Bear", and Ryan was camped at the KOA when it happened.

;)

Biggs300

Lil-Rokslider
I have used an Integral Designs Sildome tarp tent for a couple of years now. It has been on one elk hunt in CO, 3 deer hunts, and on early fall mountain camping trip to try it out. The tarp has performed well and I've not been too worried about unwanted visitors as I generally use it with a bivy sack. On my last deer hunt, I did have a curious varmint outside my tarp (probably a coon or a possum). I heard it sniffing in the raised portion of the tarp but, with a bit of noise, it scurried off.

The only time I have ever had "visitors" it has been at established camp sites. I try not to stay at them anymore for this reason....my stuff is too expensive for some dumb mouse to chew a hole in my backpack or whatever.