Tarp vs tarp and bivy

Jc213

Lil-Rokslider
Hello everyone,

I’ve been trying to do as much research as I can but I’m still a little stumped. I’ve got a tarp tent double rainbow weighing in around 46oz and I’m looking for a lighter sleep shelter. I mainly will be using this for early warm and mostly dry nv hunts along with an otc Idaho archery elk hunt and some backpacking in CA.

I’m just stumped, do the majority of people sleep with a bivy under a tarp? Or if the weather looks good just go with the tarp? Also concerned about ticks and other critters but I wouldn’t be opposed to trying it out if people are comfortable with it. Looking forward to testing something out for scouting and backpacking this summer. Any help clearing this up is appreciated.

Stoke_82

FNG
Luxe hiking tents. Decent price. Decent quality. Lots of options and fairly budget oriented.

I always use a light wt. bivy under a tarp. Total wt. of 2 person mid and bivy is about 16 oz., not including stakes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bitbckt

Lil-Rokslider
In the Spring when ticks are a problem (read: now), I carry a Borah bug bivy. Otherwise, I hunt and hike the same places you do and don't carry one.

Nice to see somebody from home around here. :)

Clovis

Lil-Rokslider
It depends. I have never used a bivy as defense against bugs or critters (if those are expected to be issues, I prefer a tent). If using a small tarp, a bivy can help with rain splash or condensation if you bump up against the sides. I don't really like bivies because of the fiddle factor, condensation and constriction and so like to use a 10 x 10 tarp or Kifaru Supertarp and keep away from the edges and contact with the tarp. Confidence in the DWR of your bag or quilt can also reduce the need for a bivy. If things go to hell with your shelter, it would be better to have a bivy, though under those circumstances the bivy you want is probably pretty robust and heavy. I am usually only a few miles in though and if everything blew up on me I guess I would just walk out.

Just a tarp here. If I need a tarp and a bivy combo then I’m taking the hilleberg. By then the weights are almost equal and the tent provides more protection. I used a bivy for about 7 years almost exclusively, but I never used it with a tarp when I did. I always tucked up under a dense tree and just used the bivy. Now days I use the tarp or a tent like I said.

FlyGuy

WKR
I’ve never understood how a bivy is worth the trouble. I’ve got a super light bug bivy that I’ve used in summer (shit tons of mosquitoes), but that’s rare for me. In the Fall I only use the tarp shelter (tut or super). I don’t hunt in extremely wet places, if in Alaska then different story.

You can’t cheat the mountain

Reactions: dla
I think there are two types of people. Those that don’t care about bugs and other crawling things and those that do.

I thought I’d try to become someone that doesn’t care on a recent trip and not use the tub/screen inner tent of my 3F UL Lanshan 2. As soon as I laid my bag on the tyvek, there was a brown recluse. ...I put the inner back in.

Maybe I’ll try again in the winter :/

I’ve never understood how a bivy is worth the trouble. I’ve got a super light bug bivy that I’ve used in summer (shit tons of mosquitoes), but that’s rare for me. In the Fall I only use the tarp shelter (tut or super). I don’t hunt in extremely wet places, if in Alaska then different story.

There are a number of reasons for me:
-I couldnt keep a bag on top of my pad if my life depended on it. A bivy keeps my bags from getting drug in the mud, dust, gravel, granite, etc
-protection from condensation (typically leave it unzipped if non-buggy to breathe to avoid creating additional condensation issues)
-protects inflatable sleeping pad
-less work / lighter than setting up an inner. Especially convenient if moving camp daily
-protects bag from moisture if you leave camp set and get a bad storm
-adds warmth to sleep system, can get by with a lighter bag/quilt, and makes a big difference if you’re in a drafty mid/tarp
-I keep my phone, light, and pistol inside it and it keeps everything clean, protected, accessible

It does seem like a significant weight adder when it’s going in a sub 1lb shelter but worth it in lots of situations.

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
I've played the tarp only game to many times. Its like Russian roulette, at some point it's going to get you.

You can get a damn light bivy and some piece of mind IMO.

PlanoDano

FNG
If you have a handle on the forecast you can get away with the lightweight bivy and leave the tarp packed many nights. It keeps your pad in one place and adds a few degrees of warmth to your quilt/bag.

That one in particular is a DCF Locus Gear Hapi (12 oz.), and a custom DCF Borah Gear bivy (4.5 oz.).

I had never heard of Locus gear before and after reading your comment I spent all of last night and this morning looking at their shelters they offer because I’ve been in the hunt for a new light weight shelter for some time now but can’t make a decision, how familiar are you with their products? How do they compare to other tipi tents likes seek outside, hyperlight mount equipment, tarptent, black diamond, kifaru, luxe, or any other brands I may not know about? So far if I was to chose I would go with the Khafra. I mean at around 50 oz for a 4 season tent with the tarp, steaks, mesh insert, and pole for as roomy as they are being able to hold up to four guys that’s hard to beat.

Last edited:
I had never heard of Locus gear before and after reading your comment I spent all of last night and this morning looking at their shelters they offer because I’ve been in the hunt for a new light weight shelter for some time now but can’t make a decision, how familiar are you with their products? How do they compare to other tipi tents likes seek outside, hyperlight mount equipment, tarptent, black diamond, kifaru, luxe, or any other brands I may not know about? So far if I was to chose I would go with the Khafra. I mean at around 50 oz for a 4 season tent with the tarp, steaks, mesh insert, and pole for as roomy as they are being able to hold up to four guys that’s hard to beat.

PM sent, so as not to derail thread.

You don't want 4 dudes in a Khafra but they look very nice!

What would be the way to go do you think then?

It depends how many people you want it to accommodate. I wouldn't buy a lightweight shelter with intentions of putting 4 people in it. The Ultamid 4, Khafra, MLD Supermid (listed biggest to smallest) size shelters are comfy and light for 2 people. You could fit 4 pads and sleep four in there but it would be pretty crowded and the 2 guys on the outside will be tight to the the likely condensation covered walls.

If you want to something for 2 people comfortable and light in mild weather, I think a zpacks triplex is hard to beat. There's a bunch of solo, single wall, with floor and bug netting shelters out there in the 15-25 ounce range.

My current Tent setup is DCF Duomid (when sleeping solo and likely moving camp daily), Sil Supermid (light 2 person, or when a stove is wanted), and a TT Stratospire 2 (2 people and buggy, solo and not weight conscious enough to pack a mid).

Mike7

WKR
I have a Locus Gear Menkaura Sil/silnyon shelter and it is a good shelter. The silnylon feels like Kifaru's silnylon used on their shelters/meat bags.

I think that it could handle just about any wind that you could throw at it, it weighs less than 1 1/2 lbs, works well without a bivy, fits 2 guys and gear easily, can be pitched with 1 trekking pole and short pole extension or rock, and 1/2 inner nests can be purchased to make it a 4 season shelter.