Tarp vs tent?

kvdenney

WKR
Does anyone in central Oregon run a tarp? We have some gnarly ants and spiders crawling around and I don’t like the idea of those suckers crawling into my shirt or on my face.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ndayton

WKR
I have never had an issue with bugs but you can get a bivy, Borah Gear makes ultra light bivies plus once the weather turns cold bugs aren't much of an issue.

ndbuck09

WKR
Run a Tarptent Lithium Li. Bomber tent design that is basically the tarp you want with the mesh inner you want. Mine weighs 20 oz real life weight

Beendare

WKR
Yeah, gotta get a good nights sleep. I'm a Tarptent fan too.....mine is 2# 4oz for a full tent, floor and bug mesh....its a no brainer for a guy like yourself.

Does anyone in central Oregon run a tarp? We have some gnarly ants and spiders crawling around and I don’t like the idea of those suckers crawling into my shirt or on my face.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah I'm in Terrebonne.
All my backpacking stuff is currently floorless. I dont usually find the bugs to big a deal in a bag, in the quilt tho is sucks so I run the Jimmy tarps bivy.
I have a 6x9 Jimmy tarps, a Mt Shelter Lt, and a new seek outside Eolus on the way it you ever want to check some stuff out.

hikenhunt

WKR
I have a tarptent that works great for what you're describing, lightweight but also keeps the bugs out

mlgc20

WKR
I lived in Central Oregon for many years. I gave up on a tarp. It was either bugs in the Ochocos or blowing dirt around Sisters. During the winter months I would take a tarp into the Mill Creek Wilderness area without any issues. But, in general I just prefer the full coverage of a tent.