Tarps: Do you actually use it???

Bunkin

FNG
I am planning for an alpine high buck hunt this September. I will be packing in a tent for sleeping. I have been considering purchasing a tarp to use away from camp to glass from, get out of the sun and continue to glass, and get out of the weather.

Im looking to know if you have carried a tarp for this purpose on a long back pack hunt (8-14 miles in for 6 days) if you found it worth the weight and actually useful.

Thanks!

mlob1one

WKR
I carry the kifaru sheep tarp and it is absolutely worth the added few ounces. It's saved my bacon more than a few times.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

mlob1one

WKR
I will say, it doesn't have a upf rating, but it helps.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Dave_

Lil-Rokslider
I carry a cheap light tarp in my pack. I killed a bull a few years ago that died in hot full sun, I was glad I could pop up some shade real fast. I've also used it to lay meat on or quick rain/cooking shelter. Pretty handy for a few oz.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

ScottP

WKR
I have a pretty small 1P tent, so I carried a tarp on an elk hunt where there was rain/storms predicted for a few of the days. I pitched it for a nice covered porch over the entrance to my tent so had a dry place to hang out.

I've carried one on deer hunts to provide storm-free glassing as well.

JRMiller

WKR
I carry a footprint for my tent and If a need arises that’s more important than having it under my tent then it gets repurposed. When backpacking into country I always try to have more than one use for every piece of equipment

Squamch

WKR
I carry a tarp. Good for eating lunch, good for not being rained or snowed on, good for working under. I don't know about shade, we don't get much sun during hunting season!

rayporter

WKR
if the weather is bad or i suspect it will be i stick a poncho in. more versatility.

once shot a deer sitting with it on in snow. i was covered with a half inch of snow and had my gun under it and had to do the Clint Eastwood flip to get the gun out. it had to be funny to see.

I carry a Kifaru sheep tarp. Can get under if it’s gonna rain or for shade in the intense sun. It’s lightweight and easy to carry

LostArra

WKR
For some reason I did not bring my tarp in 2013, the year of the Rocky Mountain Monsoon. Never again will I be tarp-less while elk hunting.

"Better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it" Woodrow F. Call

A tarp is one of the most versatile pcs of gear one can carry. Day pack or backpacking mine only leaves the pack when being used and it seems to get used a lot. Kitchen and meat pole duty is it’s most common role but tons of other uses too. In really snotty weather I often wish I had two.

Rich M

WKR
I used a 5x7 tarp and a small fire to ward off hypothermia back in 2017. Was left on a piece of public for a planned 3 to 4 hrs that turned into from before dawn until dusk.

A tarp is a good idea, at least carry a space blanket.

I use the tarp for help with shade if glassing and for putting meat on if I’ve killed the contractor bags I take to put meat on. One year it saved me when I was caught in a really quick hailstorm. I always have one with me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CJF

WKR
I've spent several hail storms under a tarp. Good time for a nap!!

Small weight price to pay for a big benefit.

Kifaru Sheep Tarp is perfect for 1 person. I have set mine up alongside downed timber, between small trees, and under the skirts of large trees. Takes about a minute to rig up and will keep the rain, hail, and snow off of you while you plan your next move, glass, nap, snack, or have something hot to drink. Weighs nothing. Regardless of who makes it, bring an ultralight tarp.....

bbell

WKR
75774B79-5ABE-41AB-8FA1-AA0B70093AC2.jpeg
Worked good to cover my buddies sheep. That desert sun gets hot. I think it’s a jimmy tarp