Tarps vs tents.

I know this has been beat to death, but I was going to come at this from a different direction. With the weight factor aside, I was wondering the comfort factor of a light weight Tarp (which ever Co), compared to a tent when weather is a factor. Keeping dry, out of the wind, ect. Have not run accrossed to many guys in the back country mid to late Sep. with Tarps. How well will they hold up during the day long rains, and even the early snow storms we get when elk hunting? I know you can make anything work, but if you knew you were in for nasty weather, would you still bring your tarp over a tent?

Early deer season is a differnt story. Just want to throw that in.

dotman

WKR
Heck yeah I wouldtake a tarp over a tent, how many floored tents have the option for a stove? Any floorless tarp can have a pipe boot installed if not already done.

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
I have never used a tent. I have used my super tarp from April to November. Never had a problem with water coming in and I live in North Idaho where it rains a lot! Just make sure you don't pitch it in a low spot:) I use tyvex as a ground cloth when the weather is really wet or cold. As dotman said the stove is an added bonus.

JDC

FNG
I couldn't decide so i went with a Kifaru Sawtooth...Didnt need the stove last year during my Sept elk hunt but this year the wife is going with me, so it will definitely go..

dotman

WKR
Your floor in a tarp will be just as dry as a tent. If you pitch a tent in a low spot you will have a wet floor, high you will be fine. Same logic for a tarp. You just have to get the over the idea that a tent floor does more then keep bugs out because in the end all a floor does is give you a false sense of security. It is hard to get past this false sense until you actually move away from it then you really do realize a floor does nothing but add weight :)

RosinBag

Super Moderator
Staff member
I will vote tent every time. I have tried tarps and bivy's and always end up wanting my tent. I just like the idea of everything all nice and tidy in my tent free from rain, wind, snow and bugs. Probably the sissy in me......

bowhnter7

Lil-Rokslider
I will vote tent every time. I have tried tarps and bivy's and always end up wanting my tent. I just like the idea of everything all nice and tidy in my tent free from rain, wind, snow and bugs. Probably the sissy in me......

Metoo.

dotman

WKR

Haha, I can just picture you in a tarp holding your teddy mumbling tenty, tenty :)

ozyclint

WKR
Your floor in a tarp will be just as dry as a tent. If you pitch a tent in a low spot you will have a wet floor, high you will be fine. Same logic for a tarp. You just have to get the over the idea that a tent floor does more then keep bugs out because in the end all a floor does is give you a false sense of security. It is hard to get past this false sense until you actually move away from it then you really do realize a floor does nothing but add weight :)

depends entirely on conditions. try camping in NZ's west coast or fiordland without a floor, you will be wet. 200 inches of annual rainfall will see to that.

I use floor less shelters exclusively. I have a Kifaru 8 man tipi and a Kifaru supertarp. Love th
Both and will never use a floored tent ever again. Bugs and wet ground are non issues. The beauty of the supertarp is the ability to use it as a "flat" tarp pitch or pitch it like a tent for a bombproof 4 season shelter

Slim Jim

WKR
I was thinking about getting a tarp until last week when I was scouting here in NV. The evening Mosquitos were driving me nuts until I got in my tent (I think a couple of them still got in). When i got back to my truck after my trip and changed clothes, I had two ticks on my legs. I think that I'll stick to my seed house sl1.

Longstride12

Lil-Rokslider
I'm thinking about getting a tarp and was wondering if any of you have issues with mosquitoes or other biting bugs during the night biting your face and head? Do you slather the deet on before going to bed, cover your head and face totally with your sleeping bag? Is it even an issue for anyone? How many sleep in a bivy under a tarp to seal the bugs out? Just wondering..