TarpTent Moment DW

I'm looking at the TarpTent Moment DW for late-September elk hunts in Colorado. I've been using a ProTrail, and it's great, but the ProTrail suffers from condensation when temperatures start dropping.

The Moment DW is only 34oz for the double-wall version.

If you have a Moment DW, how does it do when temps drop down into the low 30s or 20s? Condensation? I'm wondering how Tarptent's double-wall stacks up against something like a Hilleberg in cold temps.

Thanks,
Eric

mtnwrunner

Super Moderator
Staff member
Eric, I ran the moment dw for a year. Love the design of the tent but the main problem for me was condensation as my bag would hit the sides towards the bottom so I went for something else.

Randy

OP
CrzyTrekker
Eric, I ran the moment dw for a year. Love the design of the tent but the main problem for me was condensation as my bag would hit the sides towards the bottom so I went for something else.

Randy

This was my concern. Thanks Randy

FURMAN

WKR
I have a Moment, not the DW. Mine is awesome as long as the vents are open. It has two vents at the peak of the tent, one on either side of the pole. It looks to me like they moved the vents to the side, maybe even into the vestibule area.

OP
CrzyTrekker
I have a Moment, not the DW. Mine is awesome as long as the vents are open. It has two vents at the peak of the tent, one on either side of the pole. It looks to me like they moved the vents to the side, maybe even into the vestibule area.

Thanks. How does it do in cold temps (below 30 degrees)?

FURMAN

WKR
I've only slept in it down to right at 30. The first night I forgot to open the vents and it did get condensation. After that I just make sure the vents are open and no more condensation. I also have a Hogback. I've read of people having condensation issues with it but I never have. I'm sure you already know but there are some places that are just more likely to cause condensation if you pitch a tent such as next to streams with no air flow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Tony Trietch

Part Time Bow Hiker
Staff member
The last two years I have ran the Protrail during August and September. The two years prior, I ran the Moment DW in the early to mid season.
Both have seen snow and cold up high, condensation only became a problem when snow covered and sealed the lower open area. As long as it stays clear and my breath and body heat were able to escape, they both stayed as dry as can be expected in such a low volume one man tent during winter conditions.
I stopped using it because the Protrail was substantially lighter and performed equally well.

OP
CrzyTrekker
Thanks, both of you for your comments.

I have a ProTrail and a Hogback. I've never had any condensation in the Hogback, even when I take my wife and two small boys backpacking. The Hogback is really open and well ventilated, which can also make it somewhat drafty if there is any wind.

My experience with the ProTrail is that it is awesome until you get a couple days of wet weather during late September. Last year I had it up around 11,000 feet in late September, with a couple days of foggy weather and cold temperatures (below freezing) at night. The condensation was pretty bad. I've used a Hilleberg Akto in the same conditions with great results. The difference in the Akto is a full inner tent, which is breathable and can be zipped up tight.

You can really stay comfortable in the Akto, but you pay a weight penalty. I was hoping the Moment DW might offer a light-weight replacement for my Akto in miserable late-season conditions. But I suspect it's impossible to get the same cold-weather performance without a true breathable inner tent wall.

If anyone has used the Moment DW in miserable wet conditions, basically late-fall or winter and had success then I'd love to hear about it.

Graves14

WKR
Their new bowfin looks interesting as well. Similar to the moment but the pole runs the perpendicular axis.

sneaky

"DADDY"

Randy
How were you contacting the walls towards the bottom? Pushing the mesh inner out into the fly material? Just curious, as I know they had the moment which was a single wall, and the DW which I thought was supposed to alleviate that contact. Just wanted to make sure I was reading that right.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

FURMAN

WKR
I slept in my Moment quite a few days last fall and winter down to 15 degrees with zero problems. I still love the tent. I am surprised it is not talked about more.

hooker

Lil-Rokslider
Great tent! Had mine to 18* snowing. My only complaint is I wish the folded up tent stakes were shorter. Maybe 2" so it would fit in a pack horizontal.

hooker

Lil-Rokslider
Mine is the Moment. I've had frost ontop my sleeping bag in this tent. Yet cool enough in the heat.. No doubt the DW would help keep condensation at the very lest off your arms, head, back, bag. Plenty of ways to keep it warmer. Solid tent. Six Moons design Lunar Duo is a great two man tent at like 42 oz"s. I've got the Lunar solo also. Stakes short enough fit horizontal in my pack and it would prolly be near perfect. weight to weather? Damn god bang for the buck. One in the Classifieds.