Tarptent opinions

I have a tarp tent rainbow, I have nothing bad to say, although I haven’t faced in any super high winds yet, it has held up great in moderate thunderstorms. For the snow free portions of the year, it has been excellent. When the snow hits I would want something with a little heavier materials, not sure what material is used in the Moment DW, but I would want a heavier duty material than the rainbow has to offer in addition to a double wall.

If the moment uses the same material as the rainbow, I personally would be looking towards a hilleberg. Even hilleberg’s yellow label tents will be much more resilient, my dad has a “3-season” Helags and it is more robust than many 4-season tents on the market.

Voyageur

WKR
Which nest do you use the most? I am very close to pulling the trigger on the Stratospire LI but cant decide on the nest option. Curious as to your opinion on what you use more. Thanks
I have the solid and have never wished I had the mesh. To qualify, all my use is in SD WY MT ID MN and AK. When the nights are warm I have both vestibules tied open and get plenty of air circulation.
Also the solid liner is actually lighter than the mesh.

Cheaha

FNG
Which nest do you use the most? I am very close to pulling the trigger on the Stratospire LI but cant decide on the nest option. Curious as to your opinion on what you use more. Thanks
I have used the netting more often, but I live on the Alabama Gulf Coast so spend more time in warmer weather and bugs are present even into the Fall. On clear nights it is possible to set up the netting without the outer tent, so it's perfect for a warm night under the stars. But the solid is my go-to for any cold weather camping. If I am going to the mountains the netting stays home. I would recommend the solid if you are only getting one.

strousek

Lil-Rokslider
I have used the netting more often, but I live on the Alabama Gulf Coast so spend more time in warmer weather and bugs are present even into the Fall. On clear nights it is possible to set up the netting without the outer tent, so it's perfect for a warm night under the stars. But the solid is my go-to for any cold weather camping. If I am going to the mountains the netting stays home. I would recommend the solid if you are only getting one.
Thank you very much. My hunting and camping are CO, NM and WY mountains so I think you answered my question for me.

strousek

Lil-Rokslider
I have the solid and have never wished I had the mesh. To qualify, all my use is in SD WY MT ID MN and AK. When the nights are warm I have both vestibules tied open and get plenty of air circulation.
Also the solid liner is actually lighter than the mesh.
Thank you for helping me make my decision.

Westmjk

FNG
I’ve got a stratosphere I. For all of my hunting trips so far I’ve left my mesh inner behind; just a tarp to protect my sleeping pad and I slide my pack to the windward side of the tent to block major drafts. I live in the southeast, the mesh does fine here. I’ve also borrowed a Moment with a solid inner. That worked fine down here also… a hot night is a hot night no matter what you do.

Gapmaster

WKR
I’ve got the Moment DW and love it. I’ve had it in warm weather up to 12 degree and light snow. I was surprised at how well it did in the snow. 4-5”It’s definitely not a condo on the inside, but for my backpack hunting, it’s a great shelter. Just enough for what you need and nothing more. Setup and takedown is a cinch. I use a sheet of tyvek for a footprint.