Tarptent opinions

SDHunter44

Lil-Rokslider
I’m looking at a good lightweight tent for mostly mule deer hunting a few times a year and I’m the next couple years elk hunting. Stumbled upon tarptent and they seem to be a great balance between quality but still not overly expensive. Probably looking at a double wall solid for later season hunts as well. Opinions on the momentum DW and scarp? Those seem to be what my criteria are aiming me at. High winds are also not uncommon in my area.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Voyageur

WKR
I've had my Tarptent for 10 years or so, and I have nothing but good to say about it. It is one of my favorite pieces of gear. The more I use it the more I like it. It's been backpacking, truck camping, and on fly-in hunts in AK. Their customer service is great, too. I have the Stratospire 2 and will be getting a Protrail for next year's thru hikes.
I highly recommend them.

OP
S

SDHunter44

Lil-Rokslider
I've had my Tarptent for 10 years or so, and I have nothing but good to say about it. It is one of my favorite pieces of gear. The more I use it the more I like it. It's been backpacking, truck camping, and on fly-in hunts in AK. Their customer service is great, too. I have the Stratospire 2 and will be getting a Protrail for next year's thru hikes.
I highly recommend them.

I have been looking at the stratosphere too, I know it’s a two man, would it be way too big and heavy for solo? And then actually big enough for two grown men to camp in?

Cheaha

FNG
I have the Stratospire II as well. I love it. I bought the solid and the netting interior. High quality, light weight, and roomy. Definitely not too much for a solo trip. I have used it with two people and it worked fine. However, I am 6'1" and I push the limit on length. If any taller I don't think it would be my choice.

Voyageur

WKR
I have been looking at the stratosphere too, I know it’s a two man, would it be way too big and heavy for solo? And then actually big enough for two grown men to camp in?

The Stratospire also comes in a 1 person option, or at least it used to. Too big and too heavy are relative terms, but in my opinion the SS2 is an excellent solo shelter. The majority of the time I use my SS2 solo, or just me and the dog. Having said that I've also used it numerous times with two people and there is plenty of sleeping room. The vestibules are great for gear storage.

Voyageur

WKR
I have the Stratospire II as well. I love it. I bought the solid and the netting interior. High quality, light weight, and roomy. Definitely not too much for a solo trip. I have used it with two people and it worked fine. However, I am 6'1" and I push the limit on length. If any taller I don't think it would be my choice.
Great point on user height. I'm 5'11"

Jimss

WKR
If you keep an eye on the classified sections, Craigslist eBay etc you may be able to find a nearly new hilleberg. They are amazing tents that get rave reviews. I use the fly off my 4 season Nallo when I want to pack light. The fly used alone is light and bomber-proof. With inner tent it’s great in the worse weather.

Jimbuck

FNG
I own a stratospire 1 and a cloudburst 3. They’ve both performed great in the field. Very well thought out designs.

OP
S

SDHunter44

Lil-Rokslider
Check the seek outside 2 man teepee

I was also looking at seek outside, liked the idea of option for a little stove for late season, but with snake country I’m thinking I won’t go floor-less.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
Stumbled upon tarptent and they seem to be a great balance between quality but still not overly expensive.

well their dcf tents are pretty expensive :D

I think you definitely should give them a look. Not too many unsatisfied Tarptent owners; sounds like you just need to find the right model

I have a scarp, haven't used it a ton but its been good to me. As a solo there's just enough room to keep pack and boots in the "vestibule" area

Sent from my SM-G981V using Tapatalk

OP
S

SDHunter44

Lil-Rokslider
well their dcf tents are pretty expensive :D

I think you definitely should give them a look. Not too many unsatisfied Tarptent owners; sounds like you just need to find the right model

Ya they definitely are not the cheapest but I’m usually ok with buying quality the first time but don’t think I need the quality and price of hillenberg so that’s where I say budget!

I was looking at non trekking pole models but am thinking that a SS 1 or 2 might be the way to go.

gabenzeke

WKR
I have a stratospire II. It has performed great, even in a couple real nasty and windy hail storms. I may look to sell though as I'd like to try a seek outside.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

OP
S

SDHunter44

Lil-Rokslider
I have a stratospire II. It has performed great, even in a couple real nasty and windy hail storms. I may look to sell though as I'd like to try a seek outside.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

If you are selling shoot me a pm

chwebb03

FNG
If you are selling shoot me a pm

I just used a double rainbow in Colorado for 5 days. Setup is a breeze especially in the rain. Held up well in wind. Not sure it’s big enough for me and my kid which is what I would use it for. Shoot me a pm if you think you would be interested. Will prolly put it on classifieds in coming days

strousek

Lil-Rokslider
Which nest do you use the most? I am very close to pulling the trigger on the Stratospire LI but cant decide on the nest option. Curious as to your opinion on what you use more. Thanks