Tarptent Solid vs Mesh Interiors

I am currently reducing the weight of my equipment bundle and now looking for a lighter weight tent setup than my Marmot Tungsten 2. I am looking at Tarptent models and seeing choices for Mesh or Solid interiors.

My question is do you use a solid interior? How do you keep the condensation from building up?

I also noticed the new Double Rainbow DW has a partial solid / mesh interior which is similar to my Marmot.....wondering if this should be the route to go.

Blessings~

Imagine it depends on your use case. If in hot, dry weather then the mesh is what I'd choose. If in shoulder seasons with moisture, wind and possible snow I'd choose the solid.

In my case I chose the solid for the Notch Li. If it's super hot and dry I normally just set up a different nest to keep ticks or bugs off, or run a borah bivy.

ELKOHUNTER

Lil-Rokslider
I have the mesh double rainbow. Only time its been an issue was in a wind storm next to a burn area. The mesh being that low to the ground created a filter for the powder dust. When I woke up everything was covered in powder.

Voyageur

WKR
I've had a Stratospire 2 for close to 10 years now and have always had the solid interior. A good buddy of mine had the same tent with the mesh. In really warm mid-summer temps I keep one or both vestibules open and have always been comfortable. In colder temps I close the vestibules. In my opinion the solid offers a wider temperature range of comfort. The weight difference between the two is minimal. In fact if I remember correctly the last time I looked the solid interior is now actually lighter than the mesh. When I bought mine that wasn't the case.
Hope this helps.
PS
The solid interior is not completely solid. There is a substantial section of mesh at the peak of each door on my Stratospire.
Also, call and talk with Henry. Tarptent's customer service is excellent.

380bull

FNG
I ended up ordering the stratospire 2 with the solid interior for all the reasons mentioned above. In warm temperatures there is plenty of mesh on the top to open the vestibule and have nice air flow. Wanted the versatility of using the tent more comfortably later into the fall/winter. Solid does come in a tad lighter as well, only ounces so nothing significant. The double rainbow DW was going to be my pick but changed my mind to the SS2 for added space and some more options to run floorless with a bigger footprint for the family. Also, looking at a potential stove Jack for the future, definitely think it’s doable in the SS2

Clarktar

WKR
Notch Li and aeon Li here. I have gotten condensation on the notch but it was only on inside of the vestibule portion of the fly.

I am really impressed with both tents. The small footprint makes finding a spot so easy. I forgot how nice it is to have a small footprint option (as opposed to something like a cimarron or other mid).

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

EdP

WKR
To me the mesh interior is the dumbest idea in tent design in at least 50 years. When mesh roofs first came out it was so you could "see the stars." I don't climb in my tent to see stars, I do it for environmental protection. What would the extra weight be for a solid roof vs mesh, a few ounces? I would gladly carry those extra ounces for the moisture control and late season comfort provided by a solid nest. I have a mesh nest in my Kuiu Summit Star ONLY because it is all that is offered. It's time the tent mfgs started offering solid or mesh. Then they would get some feedback from real world users.

You can read plenty of complaints on the moisture problems of mesh tents, even the fabled Hildeberg designs. I've backpacked for 50 years in all kinds of weather and never had internal moisture issues with proper double wall tents. The newer, lighter, stronger materials make any weight penalty for solid vs mesh even less of an issue.