Tarptent Stratospire 1 - taller persons

MatukaJoe

FNG
Does anyone here use a Tarptent Stratospire with inner but who is maybe a bit taller? I don't really consider myself tall but in the UL world anything over 6' apparently is and I'm 6'2". I am super interested in this tent system but use a Nemo Tensor Alpine long-wide (76 x 25 x 3.0 inches per their website) and I'm a stomach sleeper so my feet are extended not up. I have a minor concern that I may touch the inner tent walls as that has been an issue in the past. As a tarp-only shelter, it seems more than large enough but I like to have both options. Thanks in advance for any info and experiences.

Jimss

WKR
My recommendation would be the fly off a 4 season tent. I use the fly off my Hilleberg Nallo GT for early season hunting. You want to talk about light weight with gobs of room! During the late season or for extended duration Alaska hunts I have the option of adding the mesh inner body with bath tub floor and possibly even a footprint for the wettest conditions.

The fly plus poles used alone on my Nallo are pretty much bomber-proof since it is a 4 season fly. It also is pretty darn light weight. The giant vestibule area on the fly is available for weapon, backpack, and all of my gear. It's also possible to cook in the vestibule area. I often bring painters plastic along for a floor (weighs a couple ounces). If it's 2 of you it's possible to split up the bulk and weight of the fly and poles.

Here you go...if you want gobs of room!

xcutter

WKR
Take a look at the Double Rainbow. I'm 6'1" and it has plenty of room. I was really impressed with how comfortable it was this past elk season.

Voyageur

WKR
If you haven't already, I recommend you call Tarptent and ask Henry your questions. He has always given me the straight scoop.
Hope this helps.

I am 6'2" as well and currently use a Stratospire 1. If I situate myself just right, neither my feet nor my head touch the inner walls but it is a tight fit. Inevitably, my feet or my head will touch at some point throughout the night so I usually situate myself so I wake up with damp feet rather than a damp head. The interior is fairly roomy but the angles of the end walls coupled with a lofty sleeping bag and pad really shrinks the sleepable room. I've found that properly vented, there's minimal condensation and usually isn't an issue. On more humid nights or when I have the vents closed to trap in heat, I throw a rain jacket over the foot of my sleeping bag which keeps my feet from getting soaked.

As annoying as this problem is, I will be sticking with the tent for all of the other qualities it offers.

Gapmaster

WKR
Can’t speak to the Stratosphere, but I’m 6’1 and use the Moment DW without issues. There have been a few setups in the dark where I wasn’t as level as I hoped but that could happen in any setup. Like stated above, call Tarptent. They are extremely helpful and can point you in the right direction.