Tarptent Stratospire 1

I am currently looking at upgrading my shelter and have been stuck on the Tarptent Stratospire 1. Looking for a 1=2 man shelter with dual vestibules and room for gear as well. I like the fact that this shelter boasts 47 sqft of space when only using the fly and the potential to sleep 2, though it will be tight, with the interior. I'm not 100% sure about the trekking pole supports in the event that I have to pack an animal out of some nasty location, but noticed that Tarptent offers vertical support poles in lieu of trekking poles. I'm not concerned about finding a 4 season shelter as this will be used for scouting and early season hunts. Just need something that can stand up to wind and the occasional thunderstorm. Curious how many of you have you used this shelter and what you think about it. Or is there another shelter in the same price range I should be looking at with similar specs?

dog812

WKR
I picked up the lunar solo this year, really liking it. 26 oz. Only 1 vestibule but tons of room. Stood up really well in some crazy wind.
47c9cfb3ce3537f13bceed736b108537.jpg

PlanoDano

FNG
I have one as my backup shelter now (stays in the truck usually). It was my primary when I carried more stuff and thought everything needed to be in a vestibule. The good thing is that the vestibules are large, the bad thing is large vestibules take up a larger footprint. You will not be disappointed with this shelter in a storm. The shelter comes with 6 Easton stakes, I believe it takes 8 stakes to make shelter storm proof. I purchased the hybrid inner and it is overkill as I do not usually see snow. It is more reasonable to carry the fly and a UL bivy if bug protection is needed. The sealed fly, stakes, guys and stuff sack weigh in at 24.5 oz. The sealed fly by itself is 20.8 oz. The hybrid inner comes in at 13.5 oz. It is a good shelter at a good price.

OP
B
I have one as my backup shelter now (stays in the truck usually). It was my primary when I carried more stuff and thought everything needed to be in a vestibule. The good thing is that the vestibules are large, the bad thing is large vestibules take up a larger footprint. You will not be disappointed with this shelter in a storm. The shelter comes with 6 Easton stakes, I believe it takes 8 stakes to make shelter storm proof. I purchased the hybrid inner and it is overkill as I do not usually see snow. It is more reasonable to carry the fly and a UL bivy if bug protection is needed. The sealed fly, stakes, guys and stuff sack weigh in at 24.5 oz. The sealed fly by itself is 20.8 oz. The hybrid inner comes in at 13.5 oz. It is a good shelter at a good price.
The large vestibules are definitely a concern when it comes to finding areas to set up the shelter. I saw on the website that the vestibules can be pitched flat next to the interior to decrease the footprint. Do you have any experience running the shelter in that configuration? I am planning on mainly running it with just the fly due to the fact that I don't expect to be using it in extremely cold/ snowy conditions.

A SS2 has been my primary shelter for a little while. I think they are a top notch design and a SS Li would probably be my shelter if I had to pick only one for everything.

That said, for a 1 person I really like the design, cost, and specs of the Durston x-mid but have no experience with it. Definitely less space and less substantial materials used than a SS1. https://www.massdrop.com/buy/massdrop-x-dan-durston-x-mid-1p-tent

PlanoDano

FNG
The large vestibules are definitely a concern when it comes to finding areas to set up the shelter. I saw on the website that the vestibules can be pitched flat next to the interior to decrease the footprint. Do you have any experience running the shelter in that configuration? I am planning on mainly running it with just the fly due to the fact that I don't expect to be using it in extremely cold/ snowy conditions.

I have always used it full. It should be good with 1 or both vestibules pulled in. I only run the fly also when I use this shelter.

slowelk

WKR
I just went with a scarp 1 for an upgrade to my sleep system - I didn't want a shelter reliant on trekking poles to set up. I am working on review thread here on the scarp, but the weather hasn't cooperated on the weekend long enough for me to seam seal, so I haven't posted much. I have been able to set it up, and mess with a few of the features, and it's quickly apparent that the fit and finish are excellent, and it's very well thought out. I imagine those things would extend to the stratosphere.

gabenzeke

WKR
I have a stratospire 2 and it has weathered a couple of real nasty hail storms in Colorado. Really like the shelter. I'd like to get a floorless shelter, but don't think I'll be able to bring myself to part with this shelter to fund that.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Use the SS2 with and without nest...tallest of the tarptents including the new LI. I like the space and use it for solo camping. Nice to be able to keep my pack and weapons indoors. 99071

Brilliant design.

dham088

FNG
I have had the stratosphere 2 for a couple of years. It’s been good in a couple of storms. Nothing crazy but no concerns. I was able to fit me and my two young boys in it snugly with the inner bug net.

I have a stratospire 1 and absolutely love it. I have been in nasty 12+ hour rain storms and snowstorms - it held up great. I bought the extra poles in case I wanted to carry my trekking poles with me and they do the trick and pack down small. I used the tent last week during rain, snow and fog.

2019 8 point elk.jpg

I'm looking into the Stratospire 2 as well and am trying to decide between solid or mesh. I plan on hunting in January in AZ and know that temps can drop to 20-30 at night, maybe even lower. What is everyone's experience with this type of tent and not being able to run a stove? Would you run with the mesh liner and just get a warmer bag?

I would base the inner decisions off whether you want any additional protection against blowing sand/dust or spin drift, not temperature. I probably wouldn't use the inner if using a wood burning stove in a SS2.

I have a stratospire 1 and absolutely love it. I have been in nasty 12+ hour rain storms and snowstorms - it held up great. I bought the extra poles in case I wanted to carry my trekking poles with me and they do the trick and pack down small. I used the tent last week during rain, snow and fog.

View attachment 99263
@mattferg84 I noticed you're in CO where I'll primarily be using this tent in Sept. Do you run a mesh or solid inner?