Tarptent stratospire 2 or GoLite SL3?

Slim Jim

WKR
I know there has been plenty discussed on the GoLite SL3 but I'm looking into a new shelter and would like some advise. I have the BA seedhouse SL1 right now and it works great and its lightweight weighing in at about 36oz. but it's cramped and there isn't a very big vestibule to cover much more than my boots and food. I don't like leaving my pack and bow out in the elements so its time to get a better shelter. I like having a nest so I guess I'll have to pay the price on weight.

I love the size of the golite and I figure I'd use my trekking pole and an extender to shave some weight but it still leaves me at around 4lbs. (At $249 right now it's very tempting to pull the trigger) The Tarptent stratospire looks great also especially weighing in at 40oz but the height is only 50in. I don't want to by another shelter for a while so opinions greatly appreciated.

Ozz08

WKR
The TT stratospire 2 was the tent I was considering but have since decided to get a floorless tarp shelter. The specs on the stratospire 2 look awesome. Super lightweight for the size. 2 entries/exits and 2 big vestibules are huge pluses. The only thing that concerned me with the ss2 is that the footprint on the tent and vestibules is so big that it could become problematic trying to find a good location to pitch the thing.

I know there has been plenty discussed on the GoLite SL3 but I'm looking into a new shelter and would like some advise. I have the BA seedhouse SL1 right now and it works great and its lightweight weighing in at about 36oz. but it's cramped and there isn't a very big vestibule to cover much more than my boots and food. I don't like leaving my pack and bow out in the elements so its time to get a better shelter. I like having a nest so I guess I'll have to pay the price on weight.

I love the size of the golite and I figure I'd use my trekking pole and an extender to shave some weight but it still leaves me at around 4lbs. (At $249 right now it's very tempting to pull the trigger) The Tarptent stratospire looks great also especially weighing in at 40oz but the height is only 50in. I don't want to by another shelter for a while so opinions greatly appreciated.

Golite SL3 is not going to be 4 lbs. That is unless you take the footprint, the net, and probably their pole.

I think lukes SL 5 flysheet came in with stakes around 29 oz? Not too sure on that number but it was no where near 4 lbs. And that was for the SL5

Floorguy

WKR
My sl5 flysheet is 31.2oz it will lighten up once I get rid of the nylon webbing tie downs and replace them with something lighter. The sl3 would be lighter.

The pole is 12.2 oz. I use the 9 inch aluminum "y" coughlan stakes.

gotllamas

FNG
I was looking at the Stratospire as well. Did send a email off to them to see if you can order it without the nest. The answer was yes. Cann't remember what it weights without the nest but it did bring the price down.

bbrown

WKR
Forget the extender and just strap both your trekking poles together.
attachment.php

You can see them lashed together in pic to the right - had some hellacious winds that night and poles held up fine.

I would pick up the SL5 and a nest from Bearpaw or MLD similar to what Luke and Becca are running. Not much more weight than the SL3 but a bunch more room and then you have the best of both worlds as far as floorless plus an enclosed sleeping area.
I am running a Oware 9x9 and picking up a nest from Bearpaw here soon. the total package should be around 45oz for 91 sqft of livable space.
Here is a pic from a hunt last year - you can see plenty of room for 2 guys and gear and a palace for one although I was only using my TI Ptarmigan bivy (no nest).
attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_0433.jpg
    IMG_0433.jpg
    92.5 KB · Views: 216
  • IMG_0586.jpg
    IMG_0586.jpg
    99.5 KB · Views: 212
Last edited:
OP
Slim Jim

Slim Jim

WKR
Instead of an extender you can also just combine your trekking poles to make one by inserting one into the other. If I'm not mistaken I think Luke does this as well.

Gotcha makes sense BP Hunter

Bbrown - that is a palace! Looks like a base camp. I'm thinking more like the SL3. I need to keep the weight down. Don't want to go heavier than where I am now at 36oz. Especially now that I'm stepping up on spotting scope size which increases weight. Do you know where you can buy just the fly? GoLite only sells the whole tent package now.

Halleywood

Lil-Rokslider
I was looking at the Stratospire as well. Did send a email off to them to see if you can order it without the nest. The answer was yes. Cann't remember what it weights without the nest but it did bring the price down.

It is advertised at 20 ounces and $185 for just the fly.