Tarptents Li series opinions

Ltsheets

Lil-Rokslider
Considering one of the Li tents from Tarptents for a sheep hunt in 2024. For those of you that have one from the Li series, what are your thoughts?

Using the Notch Li, but this was my first season and used less than planned. That said, love the super light weight and easy setup. Hopefully others have more experience in various conditions.

Ryan Jordan of Backpackinglight (who I respect for his countless hours in the backcountry) speaks very highly of it.

s

OP
Ltsheets

Ltsheets

Lil-Rokslider
Using the Notch Li, but this was my first season and used less than planned. That said, love the super light weight and easy setup. Hopefully others have more experience in various conditions.

Ryan Jordan of Backpackinglight (who I respect for his countless hours in the backcountry) speaks very highly of it.

s
Thanks for the input!

Tony Trietch

Part Time Bow Hiker
Staff member
I have spent many many nights in one and it's never failed me.

With that said, you mentioned a sheep hunt. If you are going to BC, Yukon or Alaska, I would bump up to something a bit tougher. These are great UL tools for mild to maybe medium weather. No snow and I wouldn't use in a situation where I was dropped off by plane of horses.

Basically, I use it to save weight in areas that I know I can hike out to safety if it fails.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
@mtwarden has experience with the Aeon Li

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

I like it. Small footprint and 17 oz all in (stakes and guys). Does pretty well in the wind (the couple of bigger wind events I had the stake outs rocked) and rain.

The vestibule is fine for other than hunting scenarios, but too small for a large pack, boots, rifle.

I wanted something a little larger and more bomber, but still light. I settled on the Stratospire Li- roomier interior; two entrances and two roomy vestibules; design is better in the wind and I think will do decent with snow load.

I replaced the 6" stakes with 8" ones and it's done well in pretty high winds. I plan on doubling the optional guy lines to further enhance it's performance in bad weather. Even with the longer stakes and doubling the guy lines- it'll be under 3 lbs all in.

For hunting, I think this tent would well be looking at :)

0PmuFlS.jpg

Last edited:
OP
Ltsheets

Ltsheets

Lil-Rokslider
I like it. Small footprint and 17 oz all in (stakes and guys). Does pretty well in the wind (the couple of bigger wind events I had the stake outs rocked) and rain.

The vestibule is fine for other than hunting scenarios, but too small for a large pack, boots, rifle.

I wanted something a little larger and more bomber, but still light. I settled on the Stratospire Li- roomier interior; two entrances and two roomy vestibules; design is better in the wind and I think will do decent with snow load.

I replaced the 6" stakes with 8" ones and it's done well in pretty high winds. I plan on doubling the optional guy lines to further enhance it's performance in bad weather. Even with the longer stakes and doubling the guy lines- it'll be right at 2 lbs all in.

0PmuFlS.jpg
Thanks for the input! Is that a notch or stratospire pictured??

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
Did you consider the Notch li and chose the strato over it?

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

I did, but after visiting with Henry (TarpTent) the Stratospire was closer to what I was looking for- a more storm worthy design and also more room in both interior and vestibules

obviously the Notch is lighter and gives you a smaller footprint and from what I've read, still decently storm worthy

ndbuck09

WKR
I run the Notch Li for september elk hunting here in Idaho. I've had it in a handful of snowstorms and it did very good in them. Also had it in moderate winds and it did well in that too. Regular rain as well. I make sure not to try to pitch it too high; ie, keeping the bottom closer to the ground so wind cant as easily get under.

For me, the material is awesome in those average Sept snowstorms bc it's not ever generally too many inches of snow and the cf material doesn't sag when wet so you don't wake up with walls sagging in like silnylon. In small one person shelters, that's been the issue with wet snowstorms with silnylon. I also think the CF handles condensation better than silnylon too.

Note that on the velcro closure system takes some getting used to on the notch li but it's not too bad and I'll take if for a dual wall shelter that is that light.

I'd buy the notch li again everytime.

OP
Ltsheets

Ltsheets

Lil-Rokslider
I run the Notch Li for september elk hunting here in Idaho. I've had it in a handful of snowstorms and it did very good in them. Also had it in moderate winds and it did well in that too. Regular rain as well. I make sure not to try to pitch it too high; ie, keeping the bottom closer to the ground so wind cant as easily get under.

For me, the material is awesome in those average Sept snowstorms bc it's not ever generally too many inches of snow and the cf material doesn't sag when wet so you don't wake up with walls sagging in like silnylon. In small one person shelters, that's been the issue with wet snowstorms with silnylon. I also think the CF handles condensation better than silnylon too.

Note that on the velcro closure system takes some getting used to on the notch li but it's not too bad and I'll take if for a dual wall shelter that is that light.

I'd buy the notch li again everytime.
Do you run it with trekking poles or poles you bought to go with it? I don’t love the idea of leaving both poles in base camp during the sheep hunt when I might need them during the day in steep country. It’s my main hang up on the notch and stratospire. Im leaning towards the rainbow for that reason.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
^ I bought the optional poles just for that reason; outside of hunting season I run trekking poles exclusively

if I'm moving every night hunting (or it's just one night) I'll also use trekking poles, but if there is a chance I'll be operating out of the same camp- I bring the optional poles

OP
Ltsheets

Ltsheets

Lil-Rokslider
^ I bought the optional poles just for that reason; outside of hunting season I run trekking poles exclusively

if I'm moving every night hunting (or it's just one night) I'll also use trekking poles, but if there is a chance I'll be operating out of the same camp- I bring the optional poles
Makes sense for sure.

6.5x284

WKR

I replaced the 6" stakes with 8" ones and it's done well in pretty high winds. I plan on doubling the optional guy lines to further enhance it's performance in bad weather. Even with the longer stakes and doubling the guy lines- it'll be under 3 lbs all in.

0PmuFlS.jpg

Is Tarptent adding additional guy out lines for you? Or are there already sewn in spots for them and you just need your own line and locks? Picking up a Strat Li soon and would love double guy outs for the unlimiteds. Maybe TT could install them when I order.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
Ltsheets

Ltsheets

Lil-Rokslider
Is Tarptent adding additional guy out lines for you? Or are there already sewn in spots for them and you just need your own line and locks? Picking up a Strat Li soon and would love double guy outs for the unlimiteds. Maybe TT could install them when I order.

My understanding is with DCF, you can use glue patches with loops to add guying out points.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member

They provide a spot for two optional guy lines. I just doubled that spot up using a lineloc with a loop (zpacks sells them). Then take each those guys at 45 degrees from straight down.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
My understanding is with DCF, you can use glue patches with loops to add guying out points.

Henry wasn’t big on that idea, that’s what I was going to originally. He said it could end up misshaping the panels