Tarptents

whitingja

WKR
So I have read some things about Tarptents on this site, so I checked them out. They really impress me. Does anyone have any firsthand experience with these? Which one you might recommend. I am looking at the Moment DW, Notch or the Rainbow...maybe even the double Rainbow. thoughts? Thanks

littlebuf

Banned
I have the squall 2 and can not recommend it highly enough. I'm camping right now now but when I get back I could post some pics and a review of its best features

Eagle

WKR
I've used a double rainbow for the last couple years when I've gone into the backcountry with my Dad or wife and it's been a great shelter. I've been in the backcountry with guys that had a contrail and a rainbow and they performed great over that 8 day trip through every kind of weather the mountain can put you through minus a blizzard.

The only drawback to them, is condensation, as that can be an issue with any single wall shelter. If the vestibules are left open on my DR though, it's not enough to worry about.

mtnwrunner

Super Moderator
Staff member
I currently have a contrail which is NOT freestanding and will be going with a moment DW. It is freestanding and I just spoke with Henry (owner) the other day and they are about 3 weeks out on a new design for the moment---it will have an inner solid wall instead of mesh. It will be the bomb.

Randy

So I have read some things about Tarptents on this site, so I checked them out. They really impress me. Does anyone have any firsthand experience with these? Which one you might recommend. I am looking at the Moment DW, Notch or the Rainbow...maybe even the double Rainbow. thoughts? Thanks

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
They are one of my favorite three season tents. I have spent quite a few nights in them and they have always worked great.

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
I have used my Contrail for years. Uberlight, tough enough, lots of room for the weight, and full bug protection. As mentioned it is not freestanding, but has held up to some pretty good winds. It has served me very well.

It is like a bivy with room to sit up. I still haven't found a better solo shelter with full protection.

If you are looking for a 2 person shelter, consider going floorless with a Golite SL5 or Supertarp/Megatarp. You get tons of room without a weight penalty. I had Bearpaw Wilderness Designs sew in perimeter netting on my SL5, and it is well under 3 pounds if you don't bring the pole.

MLHSN

Lil-Rokslider
Henry also has plans for making your own tarptent on his website. It's a really basic plan but has worked for me over a number of nights and it saved me quite a bit of money. However, my wife compared sewing silnylon and bug netting to sewing saran wrap and nylons.

Stresd

FNG
Upgraded from my BA 3 wire bivy to the Stratospire 2. http://www.tarptent.com/stratospire2.html
Couldn't be happier with the tent build/design and Henry's service. Lots of room for 2 people,with dual (functional) vestibules, yet only 8 oz heavier at 40 oz. but packs smaller than the 3 wire bivy. Piece of cake to setup once you've done it a few times . No way you could ever get me to go back to a bivy. Love this tent.:cool:

TJ

WKR
I've been using the Moment for the last 2 years. Well made lightweight one person tent.

The newer Moment DW looks better yet.

OP
W

whitingja

WKR
Bittereroot, you said the SL5 is under 3 lbs? I was looking at it and is says 5 lbs 10oz. Do the poles add that much weight?

Tony Trietch

Part Time Bow Hiker
Staff member
I have a Moment DW and it is very well built. Only got it this summer so I can't tell you much more.
As far as condensation goes, it has the ability to breath very deeply!

LostArra

WKR
Scarp I here. Two doors, two vestibules. Can set up or take down in the rain without inner getting wet.

With outer crossing poles which make it freestanding and stronger for heavy snow

Without outer crossing poles, not freestanding but less poles to carry.

I have the older version of the moment & have used it for 3 years in wind driven snow showers with the free standing pole. When I first got it, I called Henry & told him I was unable to use the free standing pole effectively. He said the pockets that the pole ends fit into, may be too short, which left me with the impression that a bad batch had been produced. So he sent me some longer pockets that I received within a week & as I said, it stands tall against wind driven snow showers. Im jealous of the newer moments as well as other new tents by Henry. I do have to say that condensation is an issue, but it wouldn't keep me from buying another. As others have said, Tarptent & Henry Shires are tops in what they do.

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
Bittereroot, you said the SL5 is under 3 lbs? I was looking at it and is says 5 lbs 10oz. Do the poles add that much weight?

Here is a list of the weights I got on a professional postage scale.

The weights are in ounces.

SL5 Tent (total) 92.3
SL5 pole 12.3
SL5 stakes 3.6
SL5 Fly 29.9
SL5 stuff sack 1.5
SL5 Nest 45.3

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
This is a sweet shot of littlebuf's Tarptent from last year on a bear hunt.

The three man that my other buddy and I were sharing.

Both set up at a small lake we camped next to the first night.

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
Whitingja,

As the other guys mentioned, it is the inner nest that is the heavy part. The SL5 rocks.

Here is the Contrail:

2011Scoutcamp.jpg

and here is the SL5 in UL floorless mode:

SL5pic_zps44468451.jpg

SL5int_zps7936adfc.jpg

Vandal 44

WKR
I ordered a Tarp Tent Squall 2 after seeing Littlebuf's, He made some modifications that make the tent even better. I can't wait tell it gets here. There are a lot of good reviews on these Tarp Tents

I have 2 tarptents and think they are extremely hard to beat if you want a tent setup. Weight, price, and durability is pretty good. I have had the Rainshadow and the Squall for years and the only thing I have had to do is fix the zipper on the rainshadow. Less then $40 from rainy pass repair.

I have had the Rainshadow in everything and it has held up great. 40-50 mph winds and it just laid over a little but nothing tore or ripped. Have had it in snow and it was fine.

I have a pic or two if I can find them.
457051228_2f3c52d4bb_b.jpg