Taser Plus?

fwafwow

WKR
Has anyone used one of these? I'm encouraging my daughter to get her CCW permit and to train with and carry a pistol, but getting her one of these might be an intermediate step and easier to convince her to do. Yes, I know that a pistol would be a better tool.

bsnedeker

WKR
Tasers either work really well, or not at all. I would never trust one to defend my life with.

Active Self Protection has a bunch of videos of cops using tasers. I'd encourage you to watch some of those and then make up your own mind.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

OP
fwafwow

fwafwow

WKR
Tasers either work really well, or not at all. I would never trust one to defend my life with.

Active Self Protection has a bunch of videos of cops using tasers. I'd encourage you to watch some of those and then make up your own mind.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
My daughter currently "carries" (it's on her key chain or in a purse) pepper spray. In a perfect world my daughter would do as I say and carry a pistol.

Beendare

WKR
Yeah, Good advice bsn- what is the failure rate in a taser? It has to be a significant % from all of the videos I’ve seen.

Mace or bear spray would be better than a damn Taser, IMO

sndmn11

WKR
When I was in LE I never saw a successful taser deployment. However, I did see on two separate occasions a teammate have a good punch or kick landed on them because they were standing there with a taser in their hand waiting for it to work.

I would trust a top grade OC and run fast technique long before a taser because the taser is reliant on the good guy being somewhat present.

eamyrick

WKR
Like above mentioned a Taser either works really well or not at all. Taser’s effectiveness relies on Neuromuscular Incapacitation and for this to occur you need a spread across the body (think pectoral and thigh or across a large muscle group like a back). For self defense up close this isn’t great, but for a non compliant or fleeing suspect they are ideal because there is usually a distance involved. I’ve been in LE for 13 years, firearm and tactics instructed and my wife doesn’t carry. I strongly believe that it takes a commitment to training to ensure you don’t make the problem worse. I would recommend a defensive tactics class prior to any tools. That training works two fold as it helps inoculate to stress which will be through the roof in a real life incident, and also build base level skills that can save your life. Most predators don’t want a fight.

Mt Al

WKR
Here's a different, not anti 2A, perspective. My friend was in an FBI task force for years, their focus was sexual assault. He and they learned over time that many women are reluctant to shoot a perp with a pistol, but reveled in hosing down a perp with pepper spray or brandishing a knife. Obviously our wives and daughters would laugh at this and tell us that they'd fill a perp with holes, but this was his observation doing it for a living for many years. His advice then and now is: give your wives/daughters things they'll actually use with glee vs something they may be reluctant to use or even carry.

Further, he used to teach classes on campuses about preventing assault. Predictably, many attendees boasted about how they'd "take it out" on a perp. He then told them "if you can't deploy your weapon in .5 seconds, it's worthless. I'll give you 3 seconds - go!" They started digging in their pockets for key chains, digging in their purses/packs for pepper spray and zero (0) got it ready in 3 seconds. Point is, when they're walking in a sketchy place, whatever they carry has to be in their hands, thumb or finger ready to be on the trigger of whatever it is: spray or pistol. He said "random" attacks are usually a surprise, violent and knocks them off their feet quickly. They don't match the advertisements for CCW holsters where the perp is ten feet away standing there.

Please keep in mind this was over 20 years ago and very few people carried then compared to now, training wasn't near as common, etc, so honestly his observations could be meaningless if your wives/daughters go through CCW training. The training might change their mindset. One of my daughters went through CCW and has had refreshers, would recommend that to anyone regardless of a desire to carry or not.

midwestwi

FNG
A taser is a distance weapon, the probes need to spread out and stick for it to work. They won’t do that at arm distance. Way too much room for failure. Get her a Ruger EC9s.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hunterjmj

WKR
We have a Leo friend who's taser failed and he was shot in the head several times. By the grace of God he survived. My wife carries mace when she does her walks and keeps it in hand. Hope she never has to face a situation where she defend herself.

Rich M

WKR
Pepper spray at least allows multiple applications.

A taser is a 1 shot deal.

Most thugs work in teams. Taser could allow for a form of false confidence.

Train w the gun, join a league, do something. Or get her to carry a chemical deterrent.

Taser’s are overhyped. Yes they are better than not having anything to defend yourself, but I would never depend on a taser alone to get me out of any situation.

Fatcamp

WKR
One of my former co-workers was tased by LEO at his brothers bachelor party. Very tough individual. Right to his knees then face. He was convinced. "I would never again argue with a cop pointing a taser at me." LOL.

Wvroach

WKR
I'd rather take a beating 7x over then have to take a face full of OC again. Tasers suck too but not near as bad as SabreRed or Freeze+p IMO. I felt the oc on the few occasions I got direct dosages of it for a day or 2 afterwards.

It reactivates in the shower and feels great on all the nether bits lol.

That being said I'd really try to get her to carry oc and a firearm not one or the other. But any of the above are better than nothing.

Felix40

WKR
Tasers are a little unreliable but they sure are beautiful when they work. I would hate to be on the receiving end of a 30 second ride. That would probably be the longest 30 seconds of your life. I might actually prefer to be shot. Even if the probes don’t make good contact you have the backup of doing drive stuns, which hurt incredibly bad. Drive stuns alone would be enough to get someone off of you.

OC doesn’t really stop someone from being able to fight. I don’t even carry it because I’ve had someone grab me with it all over their hands. Also, it doesn’t have the same effect on everyone.

Hard to say if the taser is worth 10x what a can of OC costs. They both have pros and cons.

“Drive stuns alone would be enough to get someone off of you.”

I wouldn’t necessarily say this is true. It all depends on what a person‘s pain tolerance is and how motivated they are to hurt you or take something from you. I have witnessed several people and dealt with numerous others who drive stuns have little to no effect.
This was with Taser model X 26 and the newest taser 7.
Other big concern with tasers is the suspects clothing. A puffy coat can pretty much render a taser useless. Probes won’t make it through the fabric. Carhart coat or other heavy canvas coat is the same thing. Even with the tasers that I carry for work I would say you’re looking at a 50-50 chance of the taser working if someone is dressed for winter weather.

Next concern cost of ownership. If she’s going to carry it she’s going to need to practice with it. Taser’s cartridges aren’t cheap looks like at about $65-$70 a pop. She better have a very good understanding of the realistic probe spread at 15 feet.
The first photo is a 3 1/2° spread at 6 feet. The second photo is a 12° spread at 6 feet.
The 12° spread at 15 feet. I would be damn lucky to put the top probe in a persons shoulder and the other in their calf. Which would be a very difficult shot even an ideal conditions.
If I shot someone with the 3 1/2° probe spread at say conversation distance. The probe spread is going to be so close it would be the equivalent of a drive stun. I would not rely on that to totally incapacitate someone.

As others of said when they work they are great. Just don’t get her one thinking it is going to be Thors hammer. They have an high fail rate in real life conditions. There’s a very good video of a Deputy using the drive stun on a female driver, it did look like it hurt. And she was yelling. But she still had enough muscle control to retrieve a handgun from her purse and shoot him in the vest.
Not trying to talk you out of spending 500 bucks. Just offering my observations.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    250.4 KB · Views: 18
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    220.9 KB · Views: 18

Felix40

WKR
“Drive stuns alone would be enough to get someone off of you.”

I wouldn’t necessarily say this is true. It all depends on what a person‘s pain tolerance is and how motivated they are to hurt you or take something from you. I have witnessed several people and dealt with numerous others who drive stuns have little to no effect.
This was with Taser model X 26 and the newest taser 7.
Other big concern with tasers is the suspects clothing. A puffy coat can pretty much render a taser useless. Probes won’t make it through the fabric. Carhart coat or other heavy canvas coat is the same thing. Even with the tasers that I carry for work I would say you’re looking at a 50-50 chance of the taser working if someone is dressed for winter weather.

Next concern cost of ownership. If she’s going to carry it she’s going to need to practice with it. Taser’s cartridges aren’t cheap looks like at about $65-$70 a pop. She better have a very good understanding of the realistic probe spread at 15 feet.
The first photo is a 3 1/2° spread at 6 feet. The second photo is a 12° spread at 6 feet.
The 12° spread at 15 feet. I would be damn lucky to put the top probe in a persons shoulder and the other in their calf. Which would be a very difficult shot even an ideal conditions.
If I shot someone with the 3 1/2° probe spread at say conversation distance. The probe spread is going to be so close it would be the equivalent of a drive stun. I would not rely on that to totally incapacitate someone.

As others of said when they work they are great. Just don’t get her one thinking it is going to be Thors hammer. They have an high fail rate in real life conditions. There’s a very good video of a Deputy using the drive stun on a female driver, it did look like it hurt. And she was yelling. But she still had enough muscle control to retrieve a handgun from her purse and shoot him in the vest.
Not trying to talk you out of spending 500 bucks. Just offering my observations.
I think you are right and maybe I overstated it. However, the same is true of any weapon. I just think if someone grabs a lady she has as good of chance of getting free with drive stuns as anything else she would be likely to carry. Even in winter, the crotch, neck, face are likely to be pretty effective targets to get someone to let go.

A few responses suggested a taser is a one try deal or that OC is much more effective. I think both of those are misleading.

rodney482

WKR
Pepper spray at least allows multiple applications.

A taser is a 1 shot deal.

Most thugs work in teams. Taser could allow for a form of false confidence.

Train w the gun, join a league, do something. Or get her to carry a chemical deterrent.
My Taser 8 is a 2 shot.... will knock ya on your butt

midwestwi

FNG
I think you are right and maybe I overstated it. However, the same is true of any weapon. I just think if someone grabs a lady she has as good of chance of getting free with drive stuns as anything else she would be likely to carry. Even in winter, the crotch, neck, face are likely to be pretty effective targets to get someone to let go.

A few responses suggested a taser is a one try deal or that OC is much more effective. I think both of those are misleading.

I’m not sure, my personal experience with drive stuns is it pisses people off more and makes them fight harder.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I won’t say OC is more effective than a Taser, but it is much more likely to get the intended effect. OC, however, doesn’t incapacitate. It will often make an assailant less effective and allow you to get off line or escape.

I live in WA and tasers become notoriously ineffective during the cold months. Like it has already been said, if you’re too close you don’t get enough spread to get NMI. Too far, and it may not penetrate.

As far as drive stun is concerned, all it’s good for is killing spiders.