Tattoo artist

vectordawg

Lil-Rokslider
I'm looking for a REALLY good one. Does anyone have any recommendations? I already know I'm going to have to travel for it, it's just a matter of how far. I'm in Memphis, TN so there are several big cities (Atlanta, Nashville, New Orleans, DFW) that are less than a day's drive that should have some really good artists. Besides that, I'll use any excuse to go out west! I've seen a few on Instagram but after reading through an old thread here, I figure the Rokslide community would be a wealth of information.
Thanks,
Ryan

Sherman

WKR
What type off work are you looking to get done? That makes a HUGE difference on practically every recommendation, and I may have a few depending on your needs.

OP
vectordawg

vectordawg

Lil-Rokslider
What type off work are you looking to get done? That makes a HUGE difference on practically every recommendation, and I may have a few depending on your needs.
To start, I want a coverup of a sun on my right shoulder blade. Something like a compass rose superimposed on a map. Something like this. I like it and I figure round will make covering the sun easier. For the next part I want a mountain scene on my arm going to my elbow.

Attachments

• C234D321-B673-4221-97DC-F4A30C6D8FDD.jpeg
    C234D321-B673-4221-97DC-F4A30C6D8FDD.jpeg
    108.1 KB · Views: 68

def90

WKR
Most big cities will have world class or close artists, I can't imagine that there isn't someone in Memphis that can't do what you want. Tattoing isn't what it used to be. Back in the day the field was dominated by guys that never went to art school and probably got started doing gang tats for their biker friends. These days with the inks available and the fact that tattoing has become a lucrative business a lot of art school grads have gone in to the business. There are some people out there doing some pretty incredible stuff.

Bubba Irwin is in Nashville, I'd be afraid to know what his rates and availability look like but the work is world class. I just follow his stuff on Instagram, lots of great artists out here in California but I wouldn't travel half way across the country for ink.

OP
vectordawg

vectordawg

Lil-Rokslider
Bubba Irwin is in Nashville, I'd be afraid to know what his rates and availability look like but the work is world class. I just follow his stuff on Instagram, lots of great artists out here in California but I wouldn't travel half way across the country for ink.
Dang! That dude won Inkmaster! I bet you’re right about his rates! It’s worth it if it’s good. Thanks for the suggestion. Following on IG now.

Finch

WKR
I'm not really into tattoos myself but a friend at work just had a forest scene done that looks pretty good. He had to schedule it out like 7 months. I guess a lot of stimulus money bought some new ink for people?

OP
vectordawg

vectordawg

Lil-Rokslider
Most big cities will have world class or close artists, I can't imagine that there isn't someone in Memphis that can't do what you want. Tattoing isn't what it used to be. Back in the day the field was dominated by guys that never went to art school and probably got started doing gang tats for their biker friends. These days with the inks available and the fact that tattoing has become a lucrative business a lot of art school grads have gone in to the business. There are some people out there doing some pretty incredible stuff.
About Memphis, I would’ve thought so too. I used to work with a lady that was covered with ink. She transferred a few years ago. I recently asked who was the best artist around here and she gave me a name. I looked at his stuff and it was average. Even to my untrained eye I could tell it wasn’t great. My wife doesn’t have any ink but she loves watching Inkmaster and has been watching it for years so she shows me all the things that are bad.